Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 9
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Text Speak:  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
Text Speak:
« on: November 21, 2009, 09:16:02 am »
Guys,

I'm not going to name names (yet), but I've noticed many of you are beginning to lapse into text speak. That needs to stop immediately.

Use of real English, capitalization, punctuation, and decent spelling are not optional in this forum. "U", "2", and other pointless abbreviations like them are not words. They aren't cute, they didn't save you time, and most importantly, they don't translate. I can't stress this enough. Lavalit is very multinational, and English is the vector. For everyone to understand each other, we need to use the language properly.

Please keep this in mind. I've made it a point to step back a bit on moderating lately, but I will start calling out individuals if necessary.

DC
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:52:08 am by Damon Caskey »
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

Offline KB18

Re: Text Speak:
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 08:46:23 am »
Damon we had our differences and I'm past all that.. but man telling people how to speak is just wrong on so many levels. The way a person speaks is how they choose to express themselves. people should speak how ever they want to and speaking properly is an option for anyone. Now telling them how they are speaking is a different story. I think you got to calm down a bit. Since you've been handed the admin job..mods are not coming out as frequent as they did before. I'm not trying to fight with you or argue. I"m just letting you know what I've been hearing and observing. 

Offline Roel

• Senile Team
  • What happened to my old avatar?
    • Senile Team
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 09:49:17 am »
I respectfully disagree. There is more than enough room in every language to express oneself in a unique and personal way without resorting to cryptic, nonsensical and outright incorrect idioms. As Damon already pointed out, some people have to rely on machine translations. These are hard enough to comprehend under normal circumstances (see Dark Hayabusa's posts), let alone if riddled with slang. You say that it's wrong to tell people how to speak, but isn't it at least as wrong to make people jump through hoops in order to understand you?

In my point of view, the opportunity to speak on someone else's site is a privilege, not a right. As such, the speaker should be prepared to put some effort into their words. Also, when speaking anywhere it is a matter of common courtesy to make oneself understandable to the listener, and to show a decent level of respect. Just as you wouldn't speak to a policeman with baby talk, you shouldn't use slang when speaking to a potentially worldwide audience. Doing so would be not only rude, but ignorant as well.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:13:23 am by Roel »

Offline KB18

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 11:18:09 am »
Roel thanks for being respectful
I understand where you are coming from.. but in this country everyone sometimes not wanted has the right to speak to anyone they choose and has the power to say whatever they want endless they have intent to do harm. I been in a community where the right to speak any way you want and to anyone you want was put into play and I have to say that it works. Sometimes someone else might have the answers in there own interpretation and there is a chance that they could be right and it could actually make sense regardless how they spelled there words or how they said it. let people express there own feelings, opinions, and artistic view and by doing this you could see the wonders of people coming together to make a place fun and enjoyable to be in. I'm apart of many different forums as all of you probably are now a days. I've seen many different views of the spectrum when it comes to how a site is run. The sites that let their members freely express there self in an open and respectful way tend to be the most successful. One site in particular I visit often has about half of its members donate on a regular basis. The site continues to grow. You can talk about anything and as long as your not disrespecting anybody you're ok. They continue to grow. In the last couples months they have done two server upgrades to accommodate the increasingly growing number of members.  It just comes down to which is more important to you as member and as a mod.

Offline wiequadrat

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 11:53:01 am »
hmm somehow i feels a little awkward in here.... is it me ?
 :laughing:

yeah found one dizzy post one day in my other forum, the guy only mean it as a joke because he doesn't like how the thread starter post his question.

Spoiler
I don't like how you ask it so i'll answer it; how i want to:

WHEN YOU ARE LEVEL 2?, YOU GET A POWER BONUS.
0N 4 7uCky nUrnB3r l3v3l, y0uR 5p33d 1cr3453.
At (66.666667% of max level or 100% without expension ) Level, you remove your mitts.
When you will have get too much experience to lvl up, you can't die anymore.

Hope it help

and the real meaning something like this..
Spoiler
WHEN YOU ARE LEVEL 2?, YOU GET A POWER BONUS.
(Level 4 = +1 Str)

0N 4 7uCky nUrnB3r l3v3l, y0uR 5p33d 1cr3453.
(Level 7 = +1 Agi)

At (66.666667% of max level or 100% without expension ) Level, you remove your mitts.
(Level 20 = +1 Dex)

When you will have get too much experience to lvl up, you can't die anymore.
(Level 30 = +1 Vit)

i don't want to see a post like that... but i do like to use some standard slang... like "u", "r u ok?", "imho", "atm", "some1" ... usually if i don't understand a slang i just google it.
i just found out what "atm" is when some1 use it in here somewhere.....

a conversation works both side. the 1st should make effort to make it clear, and the other should try to understand it.... there will be no war if everyone do it.... (suddenly feeling a little philanthropy)
 :-[
--------------------
"i'm the best because i work with the best", Bruce Willis, Armageddon

my openBOR RBO projects folder in boxnet

Offline BadChad

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:31:18 pm »
I totally agree with DC. He made it very clear that we are a multinational community and improper spelling makes it hard for those who rely on translating difficult to understand.

In no way do I see this a form of telling people how they should speak. Words like "U" and "2" are just ways of being lazy when you type and have nothing to do with how you express yourself. I don't see how not being able to use them could take away from anybody's expression or personality. You can still say everything you would need to say without them.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:34:54 pm by BadChad »

Mighty Final Fight Mod In Progress

Offline maxman

• I'm a slowpoke in speed.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 09:05:57 pm »
I could be a translator for text speak in LavaLit. I do write it outside of here. I understand about it. I know in here is not allowed. Over and out.
Dragon Duo (W.I.P./Outdated demo (2010 version)) (in progress)
Captain Commando (in progress)
Unelmia: Dreamers' Fate (collaborating with contress/taskmaster) (in progress)

Best OpenBOR mods:Spoiler
1. World Heroes Supreme Justice
2. Golden Axe Myth
3. Art of Fighting: Beats of Rage Remix III
4. A Tale of Vengeance
5. Valdivia Ransom City (demo)
6. Sega Brawlers Megamix
7. Super Fightin Spirit
8. Angel-0

Offline BurnKing

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 11:30:21 pm »
Damon we had our differences and I'm past all that.. but man telling people how to speak is just wrong on so many levels. The way a person speaks is how they choose to express themselves. people should speak how ever they want to and speaking properly is an option for anyone. Now telling them how they are speaking is a different story. I think you got to calm down a bit. Since you've been handed the admin job..mods are not coming out as frequent as they did before. I'm not trying to fight with you or argue. I"m just letting you know what I've been hearing and observing.  

your making way too big a deal of this, its for translation purposes which makes perfect sense, no one is losing theyre freedom.

and there really hasn't been a difference since damon took over the only reason people know is because SX's leaving post which everyone read said it.

furthermore mods come out less often because much less crap is being pushed which is a GREAT thing, the bar has been raised by great modders like bonusjz, bloodbane, mr.Q and bwwd that now in order to compete on any level close to theirs requires much more dedication and straight up like a year of work on a mod. this isnt something to be unhappy about, now alot of the mods that come out are actually gems on practically a professional level, not all of course there are still some rushed mods, though there are less because of how much more the engine can do now and people are starting to pick up on that.

just to say, people being too sensitive about every move an admin makes creates a forum much harder to handle, how you spell does not define you as a person, it just shows whether your literate or illiterate.

Edit: and as far as other forums growing, you can see how many members join here per month on the side bar and the number of people joining gets bigger every month. so thats really not an issue
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:32:48 pm by BurnKing »
Fight Night Champ

Mods: BurnKingdom Chapter One
         Marvel Super Heroes
         Guardian Heroes: WarPath

WIP:   BurnKingdom Chapter Two

Offline CarlJ1

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 01:37:54 am »
I look at it like this who ever owns this site and works for this site makes the rules and it's up to the members of this site to obey them like it or not. All DC is try to do is to make sure that everyone can communicate with each other and help each other because communication is key everywhere and i have mad respect for that.It's not like he strip us from expressing ourselfs in reality I think this helps us understand each other more because some people (and me) don't even know what text speak is. And I see it also as a safety rule because people are crazy nowadays and DC is just lookin out for this site and it's members.

Happy Thanksgiving :cheers!:

Offline Mr.Q®

• The Godfather of Modding
    • Sing Lung Iquique
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 01:42:39 pm »
I agree with DC, there're lots of peeps from other countries which google translator is their only hope, and too much acronyms is always a bad idea.
Q (L) Reika, and BTW, no more mr. "Nice Guy".

0%

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal