Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 133
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: [TechDemo] Final Fantasy Battle System  (Read 3151 times)

Offline BeasTie

Re: [TechDemo] Final Fantasy Battle System
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 01:33:08 am »
Looks good! :thumbs_up:

Offline NickyP

• You know, that guy with the pet drum?
    • Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 03:25:48 pm »
 ;D Finished editing the Fighter, and I even added 2 extra frames. I feel pretty proud of myself, considering I rarely do sprite edits!

Click spoiler to see:
Spoiler

Offline Plombo

• Your source for useful modding tools!
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 05:44:18 pm »
Ooh, close to the original FF Fighter sprites.  Now I won't be able to play the game without thinking about "I like swords".  Thanks. :laughing:

Oh, and nice edits. :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:12:25 pm by Plombo »

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 10:55:41 pm »
 Looks great!

BTW about NPCs, I believe you should show their health in single player mode.
 Hmmm... do enemies attack NPCs? I asked cause I hardly see them killed aside of that evil elf on 2nd stage.

About Phantom Train, you should do it in FF6 style. In that style, heroes are running with Phantom Train chasing from behind. When attacking, heroes turn around and attack the train.
 This might require alternate model but it's better than static fight like Dawn of Soul has.
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 02:58:48 am »
I know it's meant to be FF style, but I think if you got this running how you really want, it could be great as a battle system base for other games.

Obviously stuff like MegaMan power battles etc. and other similar games could be made... 

But I also see the potential of creating new kinds of games.  What if for example all the final fantasy stuff was replaced for graphics from the original FALLOUT games.  Or something closer to fantasy, original diablo graphics, or even  warcraft.  How about super mario turn based? doesn't necessarily need to be a RPG game/genre is all I'm saying.

Lol, I can even imagine I could probably make something erm, interesting at least, if I replaced what you have now with DOOM sprites  ;D as another example.

Even thou it's not my really kind of thing, I see great potential for infinite kinds of turn based fighting games.

Suddenly a lot of those awesome old games you'd love to remake or reuse sprites from, but have limited sprites have great potential.

Sticking closer to the beat em up genre, I could imagine a pocket fighter style turn based fighting game.  Or even one using standard KOF chars etc.

Anyhow just find what you've been doing interesting, keep up the good work this has more potential then a simple novelty. 

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 03:23:47 am »
BTW about NPCs, I believe you should show their health in single player mode.
 Hmmm... do enemies attack NPCs? I asked cause I hardly see them killed aside of that evil elf on 2nd stage.

Enemies can and do hit NPCs. The problem is the system I have set up... In order to simulate turn-based combat, Players and NPCs are temporarily invincible during their ready frame (after you pick a command, not the "Ready!" frame), and during their attack. If it seems that NPC's rarely get hit, it's probably because I make them attack too often. This can be fixed if I make them attack less often, and thus, give them a bigger window where their bbox is on. Another reason why NPCs might not get hit often is the way the attackone command works. With the testing I've done, it seems like it's prioritized... for example, if you have all 4 players standing in the same spot, and an enemy does a screen-sized attack, it'll always only hit player 1. So, I think what happens is if player 1 is available to be hit, then the engine will hit player 1 instead of NPCs. Thus, it's usually when player 1's bbox isn't active that NPC's take damage. I wish I knew how to modify this.

The reason I have it made this way is because I don't know how to have characters display a pain animation without it interrupting an attack. In true FF games, you can get hit multiple times as your character is casting a spell or preparing to strike. I sadly didn't know how to replicate that here, so I did the next best thing by making characters invincible during their attacks.

About Phantom Train, you should do it in FF6 style. In that style, heroes are running with Phantom Train chasing from behind. When attacking, heroes turn around and attack the train.
 This might require alternate model but it's better than static fight like Dawn of Soul has.

:( I have a problem with that. The real Phantom Train battle in FF6 has the screen scrolling from left-to-right. I could not make that happen whatsoever in this mod, so the Phantom Train boss here scrolls from right-to-left. If I made the heroes run away like in the real fight, then it'll look like they are running backwards while the train is rolling backwards. So I don't know what to do.   :dunce:

How about super mario turn based? doesn't necessarily need to be a RPG game/genre is all I'm saying.

One of these days I plan to use this system with Mario RPG sprites. Using what I currently have going here, in addition to clever use of the cancel command, I could replicate Mario RPG's battle scenes pretty easily!

Anyhow just find what you've been doing interesting, keep up the good work this has more potential then a simple novelty.

Posts like this are the most encouraging to me, really. I'm always trying to invent new genres with this engine, and while most of my techdemos end up as amusing novelty, some of them do become more. So when I see that someone appreciates these kinds of things, I feel pretty good inside.  :) It would make me proud to see someone use this as a base for a similiar style mod.

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 04:13:41 am »
Cool I'm glad I posted then,  I always like seeing anything 'out of the box'

k_du_mal

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 06:36:22 am »
nice work dude! go on...

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 02:38:32 pm »
I always like seeing anything 'out of the box'

Check the first link in my sig then, good sir. 80% of what's there is 'out of the box'.

In the meantime, I'm having a little problem. I can obviously get Players to heal other Players, and I can get NPC's to heal other NPC's... but I can't get Players to heal NPC's and the other way around.  :-[

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 11:02:07 pm »
The real Phantom Train battle in FF6 has the screen scrolling from left-to-right. I could not make that happen whatsoever in this mod, so the Phantom Train boss here scrolls from right-to-left.

Oh that bug! I hope this will be fixed. I usually trick this by having a bglayer scrolling in reverse to make it scroll left to right. Here's an example from Contra mod:

Code: [Select]
background data/bgs/industop/hyper.png
bglayer data/bgs/industop/hyper.png 0 0 -320 0 0 0 3 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 -1
panel data/bgs/highwdes/panelE.png
bgspeed 14

Do you notice that bglayer uses same image as background? That's the trick! This bglayer has relative scrollspeed -1 which means scroll in reverse than background.

...but I can't get Players to heal NPC's and the other way around.

Healing players should be easy cause we can acquire them right away.

Code: [Select]
void P1 = getplayerproperty(0, "entity");
 With this line, we can get Player 1 and we can heal him/her or do anything. For other players, just replace 0 above with 1 for player 2, 2 for player 3 and 3 for player 4.

Acquiring NPC is another story. The simplest way is to have each NPC store each of them in seperate global variable. The global variable will be read by player before healing.
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 06:08:05 pm »
I'll try that bglayer trick and will report my results.  :)

In the meantime, an idea occured to me... Should I make NPCs a bunch of characters that aren't playable (like currently)? Or, should I instead make NPC versions of the playable characters and use those? Spawning them with the random entity spawner script you gave me?

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 11:07:13 pm »
 I prefer the NPC to non playable ones (hence the name). It makes single player mode unique.

Speaking of NPC, I just remembered that they are equal to beserkers (FF5) or to Gau and Umaro (FF6). Can I request these 2 in this mod?

Spawning them with the random entity spawner script you gave me?

Don't you think that would change difficulty?

Oh yes, the script above is designed for 5 possible entities. If you need less or more, it must be modified. Moreover, each of them have equal chance so if you want to change the chance, just tell me and I'll modify it :).
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 02:04:43 am »
Speaking of NPC, I just remembered that they are equal to beserkers (FF5) or to Gau and Umaro (FF6). Can I request these 2 in this mod?

As NPC's or players? To be honest I'm not quite sure how to make them as players..  :laughing: I have no idea how to make a random attack, or a player that's on autopilot.

Oh yes, the script above is designed for 5 possible entities. If you need less or more, it must be modified.

Equal chance is perfectly fine, I just want to know how I can add more possible entities. I tried to follow the logic, and I think it has to do with the number 10 and even numbers, but beyond that I have no idea.  :laughing: If it's a long explanation then no worries; 5 is just fine.

With that, would you prefer random NPC's in the standard (enemies aren't random) mode? Or set ones?

Offline msmalik681

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 09:01:43 am »
I tried your demo it was a very good effort would like to see how you progress with this idea. Will the final mod also have maps, towns, story and some kind of level system or at least the option for new techniques ?

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 01:50:17 pm »
I tried your demo it was a very good effort would like to see how you progress with this idea. Will the final mod also have maps, towns, story and some kind of level system or at least the option for new techniques ?

I've been trying up and down to find a way to make a random encounter system. The maps would have been made kind of like how I made this mod, but again, I don't know how to make random encounters. Same goes for level ups and new moves.

For now, this is more of an arcade version of the FF battle system. Glad you like it so far, though.  :)

0%

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal