Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 10
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Crime Buster v2.5  (Read 29138 times)

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
Crime Buster v2.5
« on: December 23, 2008, 12:43:58 pm »
 Alright, it's released! Crime Buster v2.5 can be downloaded from the download section.

Story     : Crime Buster is Special Police Force. Their first task is to investigate illegal drugs that has plagued the city then stop its trade by defeating and arresting the boss dealer.

Heroes    : Maxima, Ralf, Athena, Kula and Bao

Features  :
1. Running ability
2. Offensive abilities:
 - Various freespecials
 - Slams and throws
 - Airgrab and running grab (hero specific)
 - Powerful special (ala SoR2)
 - Running attack, running jump attack and running special (except for Maxima)
3. Defensive abilities:
 - Special
 - Dodge (ala SoR3) and dodge while rising (ala Guardians)
 - Block
 - Anti grab special (ala Guardians)
 - Anti throw air recovery
4. Challenging enemies:
 - Weak thugs to strong punks
 - Various bikers
 - Flying enemies
 - Strikers
 - Subbosses, bosses and boss master
5. Various levels and stages:
 - Alleys, pier, bridges to truck ride, ship and subway train
 - Long stages with select screen per stage
 - Random enemies in certain levels
 - Normal and Easy mode
 - 3 Bonus levels
6. Alternate paths:
 - Local branches
 - Time based branches
 - 4 different endings
7. Locked game modes:
   Extra
 - Extra stages!
 - Extra enemies!
 - Extra difficulty!
 - Extra challenge!

Boss Party
 - Single stage filled with bosses and subbosses
 - Main Branches and Room Branches!
 - Hidden bosses and subbosses!

Party
 - All Bonus Levels from main game mode
 - Extra Bonus Levels!

Don't forget to read README.txt and enjoy this mod!!  ;D
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline DrStrange

Re: Crime Buster v2.5
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 01:44:14 pm »
Can't wait to try. See a couple features in  here that I want to add to my mini-mod.

Offline Hanzo

• One for Da Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 02:40:47 pm »
Gonna give this a go as well. Let you know soon Bloodbane on my adventure with Crime Buster

Keepin it Old School

Offline CE

• Working on Rage of the Streets v2
    • DCEvolution.net
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 02:53:18 pm »
Combined the RARs into one file and uploaded it again. Grab it while it's hot:

http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item232
http://dcemulation.org/index.php5?title=OpenBORManual

How to mod:
1 Pick an interesting game: There are plenty of 8-bit/16-bit classics waiting for a remake
2 Rip your own sprites & stages
3 Use a custom palette: http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/tutorial.htm
4 Check your offsets: http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php?topic=1099.0

Did you know?
Using void main()
{
playgif("data/my.gif", 0, -4, 1);
}

as spawnscript streams a GIF anim instead of loading it

Offline SX

• Administrator
    • LavaLit
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 03:03:43 pm »
lol i've reuploaded them and did not notice you had done so already CE.... man your quick!

Offline baritonomarchetto77

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 04:23:48 pm »
Oh man, i must wait untill january the 7TH before playing your brand new version of Crime Buster  :'( (bandwidth is also a problem of mine at home)

Offline CE

• Working on Rage of the Streets v2
    • DCEvolution.net
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 04:28:16 pm »
lol i've reuploaded them and did not notice you had done so already CE.... man your quick!

Yeah, only took me five weeks to upload the Splatterhouse Trilogy...   :-[

and MKK for Dreamcast is waiting for a description since about a year or so...   :'(
http://dcemulation.org/index.php5?title=OpenBORManual

How to mod:
1 Pick an interesting game: There are plenty of 8-bit/16-bit classics waiting for a remake
2 Rip your own sprites & stages
3 Use a custom palette: http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/tutorial.htm
4 Check your offsets: http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php?topic=1099.0

Did you know?
Using void main()
{
playgif("data/my.gif", 0, -4, 1);
}

as spawnscript streams a GIF anim instead of loading it

Offline Fightn Words

• Confectionary Country of the Nin-Nin
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 08:09:07 pm »
Downloading now...

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 12:25:48 pm »
Just really gave Crime Buster a good play through for the first time, and I have to say it is quite a piece of work overall. It does have some sticking points, but defiantly takes some things to the next level.

I'll probably do a full review later, but here are the good and bad points in my opinion:

The good:

• Tactical Opponents: In a way I'm almost annoyed, as many of the ideas I am using myself are to be found here. But that's OK, it's nice to see them in action in a completed module. Enemies taking advantage of the Z plane, throwing aimed projectiles, and using tactical maneuvering (such as running away and trying to wear you down instead of going face first) are very welcome additions.

• Changing Characters: Another one you swiped before I could get mine out.  ;)
    This is a feature that AOTV could sorely use, and it helps keep the feel of a "party" as opposed to you being always one person and having the other goons show only show up between stages.

• Graphics: This isn't a very flashy module graphics wise, but what it does have is a very clean and crisp look. The sprite edits are also top notch. I love the expression and "flavor" of the various thugs roaming about.

• Moves: There could have been more, but there can always be more. In truth, the variety is enough to keep you going (and being able to switch fighters helps too). You'll have fun playing around with each fighter to see what kind of mayhem they can cause. 90% of modules out there have shown you everything by the time you take out the first 5 thugs. Not so here.

• Package: An oft overlooked detail is that a few months from now, no one will know what version of the engine works best with a given module, and even if they do it can be a bit frustrating for new users trying to get things going. I don't recall if CB includes anything motioning the recommended engine version, but I do like how the download has everything you need from the start.

And the bad.....

• Cheap Opponents: Considering what a big deal you make out of having good enemies, I was very disappointed with the number of cheap sections in the game. Mainly, the overuse of biker enemies. In the first few stages especially, it seems every other group involves dodging two or more bikers, often while dealing with a high level normal enemy.

It's almost like you wanted to "show off" the tricks you used making bikers, and to be honest it needs toning down. It's not so much a difficultly thing, it's just tedious and boring. no one wants to spend to spend half the game dodging bikers.

The other issue is being pinned down after a knockdown. The side dodge is OK, but not really all that effective. Since enemies usually have both sides covered and like to spam their attacks, it's about a 50/50 game of chance that the player has little control over. Reassess this so that the player is rewarded if they make a good decision and punished if they screw up. I would suggest adding an instant rising attack or dodge that only works if the player times correctly on hitting the ground. This way, the player has a viable option, but must apply some skill to use it.

• Screen Size: What in the world is a module of this caliber doing still using the old screen size? You need to configure for widescreen ASAP. There is no excuse not to.

• Story: Put simply, there is no way the heroes are an elite crime fighting force. Goodness help whatever municipality they work for because these are the dumbest police I've ever seen. What they are is a group of eccentric thugs wandering around until they run into someone to "arrest". Maxima is obviously the brains, and he seems to make his decisions based more on a coin flip then any coherent logic. It's almost painful the read the dialog.

• Moves: OK, I praised the variety, but there is problem. The PC characters just don't have any pizazz to them. As I mentioned in a past review, you should go never through a game always wishing you could play as the enemies.

And don't misunderstand; the PCs are plenty powerful enough to beat the enemies. It's just that the enemies are interesting and cool..whereas the players (aside from Kula) can't do much other then hit, hit, and hit some more, and even Kula just has her freeze ability. No real taking advantage of the Z axis, no tactical movement, no using the environment, no flair in general (slams don't count; they are expected in a fighting game, not an "extra"), and no real personality. Mechanically everthing is sound. They just need more flavor to stand up against all the cool opponents in the game, so spice it up a little next time. 

Overall it is a great module, and highly recommended. The difficulty (sans the cheap spots) is just right and it's good plenty of extras to keep things fresh from start to finish.

DC
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 12:37:46 pm by Damon Caskey »
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

Offline kbandressen

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 01:05:52 pm »
Yeah, I'll have to give this a full playthrough as well; when it first came out, I ran into some bug partway through and didn't ever pick it up again.

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 11:50:36 pm »
 Thanks guys!

It's almost like you wanted to "show off" the tricks you used making bikers, and to be honest it needs toning down. It's not so much a difficultly thing, it's just tedious and boring. no one wants to spend to spend half the game dodging bikers.

Yeah, that's true. I spawned lots of bikers in levels with road floor. My purpose is to show ppl that there are many kinds of bikers we can make in OpenBoR

Screen Size: What in the world is a module of this caliber doing still using the old screen size? You need to configure for widescreen ASAP. There is no excuse not to.

I knew it someone would say about this. I didn't use widescreen cause I kept getting kicked out with widescreen so I used normal screen. Apparently I forget to check if that has been fixed or not.

Story: Put simply, there is no way the heroes are an elite crime fighting force.

Finally someone said it  :laughing:. I realized that when watching the intro. TBH the background story is the part I cared less  :blushing:.
 I'll make better story next time.

As I mentioned in a past review, you should go never through a game always wishing you could play as the enemies.

You feel that too?

It's just that the enemies are interesting and cool..whereas the players (aside from Kula) can't do much other then hit, hit, and hit some more, and even Kula just has her freeze ability.

Hmmm... I guess it's because I tried to mimic my favorite games. Almost all of them are combo based. But I know, I'll design hero from zero next time instead.
 Oh BTW Maxima can fight with less combo, his *** Breaker+Suplex Combo is deadly, the damage is bigger than his normal combo.

No real taking advantage of the Z axis, no tactical movement, no using the environment, no flair in general (slams don't count; they are expected in a fighting game, not an "extra"), and no real personality. Mechanically everthing is sound. They just need more flavor to stand up against all the cool opponents in the game, so spice it up a little next time.

Thanks! got your point.
 I didn't give 3D attacks to heroes cause I'm afraid the gameplay would be more cheap. Maxima is the only one currently who has 3D attack with his slam.

An oft overlooked detail is that a few months from now, no one will know what version of the engine works best with a given module,

I forgot to say that although this mod is packed with certain version of OpenBoR, it doesn't mean that's the only compatible version.
 Speaking of version, I picked this version cause it has 'didhitscript' for items. If you try picking foods with full health, you get points instead (Capcom style). Forget to mention this.

I ran into some bug partway through and didn't ever pick it up again.

What bug? probably something I missed.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 12:20:51 am by Bloodbane »
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline Fightn Words

• Confectionary Country of the Nin-Nin
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 02:08:11 am »
Still playing through this, I haven't seen everything yet but I will. I love the level branching and as Damon pointed out the character select before levels is nice. Of all the mods that are currently released I do beileve this is the one with the most amount of used features from the engine (arguably).

Offline Shin Kazahara

• Hi! My Name is Dancing Train!!!
    • ダンシング☆トレインのブログ
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 05:48:32 am »
Ziza of the enemy character seems to come out in BLEACH of Comics of Japan. By the way, does Mr. Bloodbane like Comic and TV animation of Japan?
 :laughing:
My OpenBOR MODs.
Denjin Makai ZERO(2009)
Hyper Final Fight : The Return Of Black(2010)

Offline krizalid

• SEEP BLOG
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 09:02:14 am »
I try the Mod...  :cheers!:
This Is really good work,but i think can be improved it many things ...  ;)

-Animations to fix( example: ralf rise, slow runs, special moves...)
-Special Moves without sound effect (ARRRRGHHHHHHHHH  :P )
-Bad Frame(example: Special Moves,Edit... )
-The Bgs is very good,but the palletes is poor.
-This is Streets of rage remake!!! why not there are the weapons? why not there are MP bar?
-The enemies they are strong but they use repetitive movements(example: Nina[why Nina? Shes is Blue Mary!]
it use only Low Kick).
-The Cut-Scenes without BGM and Poor.
-The Game is Repetitive( I think to change the enemies in more levels,palletes,boss,item...)

Overfall: It is was a Good Work,keep it up. ;D
I hope in new released!  :cheers!:

Offline nedflandeurse

• A.K.A. NED
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 01:00:20 pm »
Amazing work.
I have liked the fist releases, and this last one is very fun with the multiple branch...

By the way, is it normal that the loading when you launch the game is really long!!
And freeze for a long time before to complete it?? :wow!:

I don't know why this mod is the only one do to it in spite of a low/medium mod size not a 150Mo like. :eyebrow_action:

0%

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal