Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 12
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Ripping from MAME is not so hard  (Read 3890 times)

Offline bWWd

Ripping from MAME is not so hard
« on: May 04, 2008, 06:53:54 am »
Here is how i did it :

Paste all your sprite frames into on big spritesheet then pick background colours and change them to white colour , if you are done then change white to pink or whatever bright colour and thats it.
I posting it cause not everyone know about this way.If someone have other ideas how to rip from games which wont let you disable layers then post here.
If you character have white colour on them then change it to "almost white" then after changing background white to pink you can change this "almost white" to white again.

Offline baritonomarchetto77

Re: Ripping from MAME is not so hard
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 09:48:28 am »
This trick is good, but problems arise when your sprites color are massively used on the background and objects-enemyes and so on (i also used this way in the past, with some problem).

Anyhow, considering the lack of good "tools" (ad-hoc programs) its probably the best way in this moment  :)

Offline Orochi_X

• Now! Count up your crimes.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:04:40 am »
I use cheat engines (either M.A.M.E's built in engine or programs like artmoney if the emulator doesn't have it's own) to disable layers.

Also , I'm suprised (knowing you from my M.U.G.E.N days) that you didn't mention pcxclean. I'll have to dig up my old stuff but from memory you clean one sprite and run the rest through pcxclean. It will compare the images with the clean one and replace any colours that aren't supposed to be there with your chosen transparent colour.

* Orochi_X says : " Sore ga doushita? " :looney:

Offline bWWd

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 11:38:42 am »
yes but sometimes colours are shared with background so i think its better to do it manually and then clean some colours by hand at the end.
Its up to you which background you choose , you must choose simple one with not many colours and then take screenshots.

lbf

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 03:16:29 am »
Ah this is an interesting method and now that you point it out it seems so obvious :doh!:  I see how taking screenshots with a plain background is key to simplifying sprite cleanup.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline bWWd

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 03:38:16 am »
And remember , you only doin this one time per character so dont be so scared if youll see maaany sprites to clean up on spritesheet ;D, it goes faster than you think.And looks nice at the end.

Offline Orochi_X

• Now! Count up your crimes.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 05:31:43 am »
Another quick tip...

Most paint programs have a "magic wand" selection tool. It should have a setting along the lines of "add to selection".

Enable that and keep clicking on the character until you selected all the colours he uses (you should see that he has a dotted line all the way around him).

Then , choose "invert selection". You might not see any changes but now the magic wand has selected everything but the character. You can now go crazy with the eraser/paintbrush to remove all the bg stuff and not worry about "cutting in" to the character.

Ofcourse , all the above tips will have various amounts of success , depending on how many colours the character and bg share.

* Orochi_X says : " Sore ga doushita? " :looney:

lbf

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 12:00:34 pm »
Another quick tip...

Most paint programs have a "magic wand" selection tool. It should have a setting along the lines of "add to selection".

Enable that and keep clicking on the character until you selected all the colours he uses (you should see that he has a dotted line all the way around him).

Then , choose "invert selection". You might not see any changes but now the magic wand has selected everything but the character. You can now go crazy with the eraser/paintbrush to remove all the bg stuff and not worry about "cutting in" to the character.

This sounds like a good method also.  I think in some photoshop programs you can hold either alt or control to add certain colors to a selection while using the magic wand.

And remember , you only doin this one time per character so dont be so scared if youll see maaany sprites to clean up on spritesheet ;D, it goes faster than you think.And looks nice at the end.

Indeed it went faster than I thought it would.  I was able rip this guy below and it took about 5min with cleanup but I see how this method could easily be applied to an entire sheet of sprite animations and it would take about the same amount of time to clean.  Either way there it seems there will be little or no complication as long as the background colors differ from the sprite colors (which seems to be the case more often than not) Excellent suggestions gentlemen :cheers!:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:02:05 pm by lbf »

Offline bWWd

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 12:03:53 pm »
good job :thumbs_up:

Offline Pierwolf

• Pierwolf's Magic chamber of abstract theories about relativity of Karma and metempsychosis
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 01:33:49 pm »
my problem with mame are not the layers, but that there isn't an option to pause the game stepping frame by frame, like kawaks did.

any tricks for this?
My current project:

Knights & Dragons: The Endless Quest - COMPLETE!

Offline bWWd

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 01:56:20 pm »
shift + p ? i dontt remember but itssomething with shift

lbf

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 03:29:04 pm »
yep its either p or alt+p to pause then shift+p to step frame

Offline Computica

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 12:46:04 pm »
Another quick tip...

Ofcourse , all the above tips will have various amounts of success , depending on how many colours the character and bg share.

Yes this is like the main tool I use within Adobe it can become your best friend.

my problem with mame are not the layers, but that there isn't an option to pause the game stepping frame by frame, like kawaks did.

any tricks for this?

If you press TAB within MAME you can see all your options and set where your pause button is...

Offline Fish

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 06:22:38 pm »

any tricks for this?
You can explain how to hide the layer in game?

Offline BurnKing

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 02:15:41 am »
it depends on what emulator your using, in kawaks i think its alt 1,2,3 and 4. however its also in the bar on the top of the window. some emulators dont have the option
Fight Night Champ

Mods: BurnKingdom Chapter One
         Marvel Super Heroes
         Guardian Heroes: WarPath

WIP:   BurnKingdom Chapter Two

0%

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal