Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 5
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Castle Defense  (Read 8729 times)

Offline NickyP

• You know, that guy with the pet drum?
    • Personal OpenBOR site.
Fire Emblem: Castle Defense
« on: December 28, 2009, 12:55:19 am »
EDIT: It has come to my attention that the archive is corrupt after downloading it. Give me a half hour or so to reupload it. Fixed.  :)

I present to you all, a late Christmas present: Fire Emblem: Castle Defense. The very first (and hopefully not last) tower defense-style mod for OpenBOR!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?wl3xyxtkutm
You can also download it here, under the Completed Mods section of Downloads.

Fun fact, I've released this mod exactly 5 months since MegaMan The Power War lol

From the readme:
Spoiler
I like Fire Emblem; they're really fun if you have time for them. What I especially like is the sprites from the GBA games, though; so small and cute, yet so well detailed and animated. Along with MapleStory, LaTale, and various other games, I've always wanted to put FE sprites to use in a BOR mod. But, how could I? The only animations they have really is an idle and 2-3 attacks! That's not really enough for a beat em up... or so I thought.

That's when I played Castle Defense, a tower defense WiiWare title that my brother bought. It had a two player mode and was kinda fun. But, I thought it would have been better if it had more action.. like a beat em up. That's when the ol' lightbulb popped up in my head, and I went straight to work. Months later, here we are with Fire Emblem: Castle Defense!

A quick note, everyone playing this should thank Bloodbane of Lavalit forums. During the development of this game, I ran across a bug that made it completely unplayable. After spending countless hours trying any and everything to debug the game with no success, I stopped working on it for about 2 months. That's when finally I sent my .pak to Bloodbane to check it out.. and lo and behold, he figured out the problem within a week. So, be sure to thank him, because without his help this would have probably never been released.

And one last fun fact: the day I'm releasing this is exactly 5 months since releasing MegaMan: The Power War Ep. 1. Sheesh, I guess I work fast...

~Gameplay~

This is a tower defense game. So, your objective is to... surprise, defend the tower. Well, it's a castle, but whatever.

Enemies will spawn from one side of the screen (or sometimes both). The will completely ignore you, because their job is to take down your castle. So, it's up to you wipe them out and keep your castle safe! Because if the castle goes down, so do you. Watch the "How To Play" animation ingame for more information.

~Game Modes~

There are 4 different game modes to play; two of them must be unlocked first. Below is a description of each:

Arcade Defense - Standard mode. Go through many different stages, defending your castle in each.
Endless Defense - As the name implies, this mode is virtually endless. Swarms of enemies keep coming and coming.. how long can YOU survive?
King Defense - Must beat Arcade Defense to unlock.
Extreme Defense - Must beat Arcade Defense to unlock.

This game is also 4 players by default. So, grab a friend or two and jump in!

~Controls~

This mod uses the attack1, attack2, and special buttons.

A description of what each does:
Attack1 - Light Attack. Weak, but quick.
Attack2 - Call for reinforcements. Takes 1/4 of the castles HP to use. After the reinforcements come, you have to wait 6 seconds to use this again.
Special - Heavy Attack. Flashier, slower, and usually stronger or longer in range.

Remember to set these controls in Options->Control Options->Setup Player #!

PSP users: Simply use the eboot I have provided in .7z. Place FE.pak into PSP/Game/OpenBOR/Paks
PC users: Similiarly, use the OpenBOR I've provided. Place FE.pak into OpenBOR/Paks

~Characters~

There are 11 different characters to choose from, and players can't play as identical characters (ie, only one player can be Roy etc). Each have differing power and ability; play around with all of them and find one that fits you!

~OpenBOR Version~

This mod was tested with OpenBOR version 3.2397. Windows PC and PSP users should just use the OpenBOR I have provided in the .7z. Though you can play this mod with a higher version of OpenBOR, I can't guarantee it will be the same, as in the updates some commands and features are modified.

~Tips~

-Don't kill your own castle! Remember that calling for reinforcements takes away 1/4 of the castles HP; so, if the castle has less than that, calling for backup will in fact destroy the castle.
-Prioritize your enemies. Enemies have differing movement speeds, attack speeds, attack power, and health. Make certain enemies higher priority, and take them out first!
-Learn when to use your attacks. Most Heavy Attacks can take out weaker enemies in one hit, but the lag time before you can move/attack again is longer. That could be costly to the castle, as other enemies will have time to attack while you're still showing off your moves.
-Don't give up! There is ALWAYS a way to win, even if it seems impossible. This game requires a lot of on-the-fly strategy, sure, but pull it off and it'll be rewarding!

Be sure to read it and see the How To Play animation ingame. Have fun, everyone!  :cheers!:

Also, be sure to give a big thanks to Bloodbane. Without his help, I would have probably never found the reason why this mod crashed everytime you hit an enemy. Thanks BB!  :)

Offline Fightn Words

• Confectionary Country of the Nin-Nin
Re: Fire Emblem: Castle Defense
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 02:28:10 am »
Very interesting idea Nick- it's definitely the first of it's kind for OpenBor. I'm not surprised about your problem, Bloodbane is a pretty helpful guy.

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 02:43:50 am »
Very interesting idea Nick- it's definitely the first of it's kind for OpenBor.

And hopefully not the last! I sincerely want to see my idea expanded on! Could you imagine the possibilities? Of course, I'll probably get inspiration to make another tower defense mod, but not for the time being.

I'm not surprised about your problem, Bloodbane is a pretty helpful guy.

Oh it was a huge ordeal that originated in this thread: http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php/topic,3858.0.html . Back then only the first two levels were done. I had sent the pak to DC, he never responded. Then DJGameFreakTheIguana, he couldn't figure it out. Finally, like a month later I sent it to Bloodbane and voila, he got it. It turns out it was a dumb, simple mistake really.

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 01:37:38 pm »
Well, it WOULD be uploaded to Lavalits server but, it turns out you can't upload .7z's here.  >:(

So, I'll .rar it and reupload it later today.

Offline BALDOGON

• I'm the man with the seven scars!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 01:54:22 pm »
Great job Nick!!Game is tight and like the graphics...... :cheers!:
Finished: Fist Of The NorthStar vol.1 (100%)
W.I.P: Fist Of The NorthStar vol.2 (90%)
Fist Of The NorthStar vol.3 (70%)
Predator (60%)
Beats Of N.Y (50%)

Offline Splatter

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 02:16:07 pm »
I like the Fire Emblem games. Thank you very much for this great game. Happy holidays.

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 05:12:35 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Also, it's uploaded to Lavalit. All we need now is approval.  :)

Offline Orochi_X

• Now! Count up your crimes.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 06:40:39 pm »
Approved.

* Orochi_X says : " Sore ga doushita? " :looney:

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 06:54:37 pm »
Thanks!  ;D

Offline Phemt

• Never said You suck, but could say your game does
    • Phemt's lair
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 08:04:44 pm »
Nicky always surprises us with his sudden upload!  ;D

Thanks for this one NickyP and Bloodbane!  :cheers!:

downloading...
Best OpenBOR games:
Spoiler
1) Art Of Fighting - Beats Of Rage: Remix III
2) Night Slashers X
3) A Tale Of Vengeance
4) Infection (DEMO!!!)
5) Saint Seiya: Death & Rebirth
6) Captain Commando & the Avengers
7) Vampire Hunter (DEMO!!!)
just like Don that crazy pig from guangzhou China.
ore ga kowaii no ka?

Offline Red Delta

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 10:53:43 am »
Nice work dude its a pretty sick game, the only thing that could be added is new characters  :)

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 12:33:10 am »
Oh it was a huge ordeal that originated in this thread: http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php/topic,3858.0.html . Back then only the first two levels were done. I had sent the pak to DC, he never responded. Then DJGameFreakTheIguana, he couldn't figure it out. Finally, like a month later I sent it to Bloodbane and voila, he got it. It turns out it was a dumb, simple mistake really.

I have to admit, it wasn't easy to discover the bug. Good thing is, wiequadrat asked me the same before so I have another mod for comparison. With 2 mods with same bug, it's was easier to find similarity which is the cause of the bug. I have to thank God again!
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline maxman

• I'm a slowpoke in speed.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 12:44:59 am »
Interesting. I like the concept of that mod. Wait!..... How could I forget about this thread? I thought it wasn't there, but there is. ;D Oh boy... stupid me. :doh!:
Dragon Duo (W.I.P./Outdated demo (2010 version)) (in progress)
Captain Commando (in progress)
Unelmia: Dreamers' Fate (collaborating with contress/taskmaster) (in progress)

Best OpenBOR mods:Spoiler
1. World Heroes Supreme Justice
2. Golden Axe Myth
3. Art of Fighting: Beats of Rage Remix III
4. A Tale of Vengeance
5. Valdivia Ransom City (demo)
6. Sega Brawlers Megamix
7. Super Fightin Spirit
8. Angel-0

Offline Die_In_Fire

• Where eagles dare!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 12:55:34 am »
very cool!!

I played one time so far and loose on the stage when you are attacked in both sides

funny game!!

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 11:52:34 pm »
 Impressive Nick! Just like before, instead of going advanced, you made simple mod instead. Missing walking sprites is obvious here but ignoring that, you have done well!

I've tried all characters and seems like only Hector, Ephraim and Sage fits me. I need to practice more with others.

Couple suggestions:
1. Presence of snipers is good but you could add variation by adding archers. Let's differentiate them by say archers shoot at middle distance while sniper at long distance
2. Add priests or druids for enemies. They won't attack castle but instead they will attack player with sleep staff. You could make the sleep spell as bomb which doesn't hurt player but freezes them for say 1 second
3. Wyvern Riders could appear from sky before 'walking' on ground allowing them to appear in the middle instead of screen edge. This could trick players who waits by the edge to kill enemies right after they enter screen ;)
4. Make enemy cavalry sometimes throw javelin instead of attacking from close range. This will make them less predictable ;). Maybe there are more characters suitable for this
5. Try moving player's start position with spawn# command. It's not just for putting near the castle, you can make a level in which players start far from castle ;) while enemies such as Wyvern Riders are already coming
6. Try giving spawn animation to castle or just set castle's spawn altitude low so it doesn't fall from sky like that. Kinda funny to see such big castle to drop down :D
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

0%

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal