Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 7
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Golden Axe Legend  (Read 9075 times)

Offline utunnels

• Developer
Re: New game: Golden Axe Legend
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 01:46:49 am »
Just beat the game yesterday using Cragger.

And here's my thought to it:

The sprites and backgrounds are good,  though I think you should replace the cart stage background from GA3 which doesn't look that great.

The character moves are also in good shapes, my favorite are Kain's sword spinning move and Cragger's flying kick. The strange thing is you give Gilius ice magic, which is OK in gameplay wise, but still making me feel weird.

Some flaws:

1. Block (or counter) is pointless IMO, you can block the attacks, but you don't have a chance to counter and the enemy can still land another blow onto you.

2. Grab animation unfinished. I notice you are using idle01.gif for all of the grab animations.

3. Homing projectiles are too hard to avoid. I notice you are using type NPC and subtype chase. The problem is the shot will be forced to be an arrow (type enemy in your case) and use arrow's move pattern. A better solution is use normal shot and script to let it chase the target in z direction, so you can jump over it.  It is just my opinion, if you are intended to use chase then you can ignore it.

4. Projectiles die outside the screen. I spotted several offscreenkill command. The problem is the enemy can't shot projectiles from outside the screen, but you can still hear the sound effect.

5. The last boss is too hard to beat. I don't know if it is just my problem, the best I can do is trading hits with him until he is down.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:48:22 am by utunnels »

Offline ALUCARD2009

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 06:54:25 am »
good mod,my friend!your game works very well on psp slim 5.50 GEND3 with the last openbor engine!very good mod! ;)

Offline Sindor

• French member
    • Donjons & Dragons Origines
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 07:16:26 am »
Even if i prefer the arcade gameplay (like golden axe remake from utunnel), your game is great! But it would have been better to fill magic pots a bit better along the game, so we could play with it strategically. Why giving vials + book at the same time? Why giving book at the same time boss appear? (then, just give them lesser HP). I think if u spare vials strategically/better, then your game could gain more interest, same for chars using high level of magic like Tyris.
Sorry for my poor english.
Sindor

Offline utunnels

• Developer
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 08:39:13 am »
Hey guys, it seems freespecial has a bug.
If you play Tyris you'll notice freespecial2 (udfa) and freespecial3 (fdfa) are the same move, but actually Pierwolf made 2 different moves.

Offline baritonomarchetto77

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 08:39:35 am »
I still have not had the opportunity to download this game, but sounds very interesting  :cheers!:

Offline Pierwolf

• Pierwolf's Magic chamber of abstract theories about relativity of Karma and metempsychosis
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 02:05:41 pm »
UPDATE:

- fixed bizarrian bug: now the player don't lose all the MP points anymore when hit while riding a bizarrian (Thanks UTunnels!).
- items now last longer.
- added training mode.

NEW DOWNLOAD LINK

Hey guys, it seems freespecial has a bug.
If you play Tyris you'll notice freespecial2 (udfa) and freespecial3 (fdfa) are the same move, but actually Pierwolf made 2 different moves.
i noticed this too, it's strange cause with the pad it gives me no problems. anyway i'll try to fix this in the next release.

1. Block (or counter) is pointless IMO, you can block the attacks, but you don't have a chance to counter and the enemy can still land another blow onto you.
i will think about this, nice idea  ;)

I didn't like that the fire traps didn't hurt enemies but only my character.
the traps are intentionally done to damage only players, to make the game more difficult.

now please consider i've made this game in a couple of weeks, like Final Fight Gold, so don't expect something complex as Golden Axe Mith (wonderful!).
Just trying to recreate the feelings of my youth! hope you enjoy it anyways! :cheers!:

My current project:

Knights & Dragons: The Endless Quest - COMPLETE!

Offline Kyojinmaru

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 04:37:22 pm »
ATTENTION:
Only works with OPENBOR BUILD 3400 OR SUPERIOR!
Hey why?, I unpacked the mod and i don't see any scripts... you other mods works with latest openbor build?

Pierwolf best bor modder ever!!

Offline Pierwolf

• Pierwolf's Magic chamber of abstract theories about relativity of Karma and metempsychosis
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 05:01:14 pm »

Hey why?, I unpacked the mod and i don't see any scripts... you other mods works with latest openbor build?

Pierwolf best bor modder ever!!

because it uses the new animation walkoff  and the New models.txt command combodelay, only aviable since version 3400.
all my other works should work with those versions too.  :cheers!:
My current project:

Offline utunnels

• Developer
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 08:07:54 pm »
i noticed this too, it's strange cause with the pad it gives me no problems. anyway i'll try to fix this in the next release.

Strange, I thought it was a bug of the engine.
You sure it works with the pad?

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 01:17:14 am »
the traps are intentionally done to damage only players, to make the game more difficult.

It's unfair. There are better ways than this.

3. Homing projectiles are too hard to avoid. I notice you are using type NPC and subtype chase. The problem is the shot will be forced to be an arrow (type enemy in your case) and use arrow's move pattern. A better solution is use normal shot and script to let it chase the target in z direction, so you can jump over it.  It is just my opinion, if you are intended to use chase then you can ignore it.

Yeah, I didn't bother to avoid in the end. I just spam backattack to be safe. This backattack is also the only way to survive bosses' magic.

5. The last boss is too hard to beat. I don't know if it is just my problem, the best I can do is trading hits with him until he is down.

I hope you are referring to the real one. Yes, the fight is ridicilous, the duo fiend make it even worse. I know you want to make hard battle Pierwolf but there are better ways than this. Oh I said that twice already :).

I have played this mod again and went to other route. I'm surprised to see the end boss but disappointed after that. Having alternate routes is great but forcing best ending on one route is not good. The different endings should be triggered by other cause such as number of lives spent ;).

Since you are updating this mod, I suggest these:
1. Change falling rocks' shadow to old shadow command so they show their falling location. Gfxshadow is nice to see but it doesn't show location well for airborne entities
2. Fix the playing area width in cart and set holes on right and left edge instead of wall
3. (I'm surprised noone mentioned this) change how magic works so it allows weak magic spell to be casted with less magic
4. Fix the ship background. That's the worst background I found in the mod

I have lots of ideas to replace the fire traps but I'll pick one:
 Make a firespawner which spawns the fire right at player. The fire has starting animation before it could burn player giving clue for player to move away. The fire could burn enemies as well though. With this, the chance for enemies to get burned is low but it still poses danger to players.

As for last boss, obviously you need to remove the fiends and focus more on the boss. Pay attention that the boss is static forcing players to fight only in certain spot to defeat him. With this fact, if the boss continuously spawns fire or explosions close to him, it's enough to give players trouble. No need for backups and no need to scatter explosions on the room.
 You can decide for yourself what attacks the boss will have :) but remember one thing: hard doesn't mean it costs lots of lives, it means it forces player's skill to the limit.

BTW most suggestions require script so that means you should learn some :).

Good luck updating the mod  :cheers!: !
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline Shin Kazahara

• Hi! My Name is Dancing Train!!!
    • ダンシング☆トレインのブログ
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 08:27:49 am »
pirewolf new mod Golden Axe Legend is great...
My OpenBOR MODs.
Denjin Makai ZERO(2009)
Hyper Final Fight : The Return Of Black(2010)

Offline Alucart

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 12:14:46 pm »
This game is just awesome +_+ it have so much of the spirit of the original series, congratz buddy you really did a great enjoyable game =D the only thing I miss is the bird dude D: I ALWAYS wanted to play with him, but Sega never let it happen .-. If I could sugest (looks likes to ask) you would make him selectable =) I think he doesn't have sprites for bizarrians, so you can not allow him to take them :3 anyway, your game is GREAT I love it =) congratz!

Don't want to sound stuborn but that is the character I was talking about Griffon King =)

here are some sprites:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:04:43 pm by Alucart »

Offline Pierwolf

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 03:15:21 pm »
 Hi everybody, here it is a new update:

- added counter attack (see the HOW TO).
 - changed character's special attacks and fixed the input (see the HOW TO).
 - fixed shadow in the falling rocks: now they show their falling location, making easy to avoid or block.
 - now bizzarrians attacks are unblockables.
 - boss 4-armed fiend's projectile now has a slower start-up.

NEW DOWNLOAD LINK

i don't think i will change the fire traps: i like them this way (the cpu always cheat a little!) :P

i'm still thinking about how to make the very last boss less cheap; also i like the idea to show It and the good ending no matter what path the player have chosen, but instead only if the player manage to beat the death lord whitin 50 seconds; otherwise no final battle and the bad ending happens.
 someone knows a script that can make this happens? you know i'm no good at that  :nervous:
My current project:

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 12:10:12 am »
but instead only if the player manage to beat the death lord whitin 50 seconds; otherwise no final battle and the bad ending happens.
 someone knows a script that can make this happens?

You should try learning script then. This one is piece of cake.

Oh 50 seconds? can you do it yourself without cheating and spamming specials :) ?

Back to script, I say it's easy cause the entity which holds the script is simply like this:
name       BadEnd
type       none

anim idle
@script
    if(frame == 1){
      jumptobranch("BadEnd", 0);
    }
@end_script
   delay   5000 # 50 seconds
   offset   1 1
   frame   data/chars/misc/empty.gif
   frame   data/chars/misc/empty.gif

Spawn this together with the Death Lord and it will change the next level to BadEnd branch after 50 seconds. No, it doesn't end current level right away, players must finish current one like usual but the next level will be different if BadEnd is activated.

The level set is, say like this:
file   data/levels/last.txt  #<--- spawn that entity here
file   data/levels/reallast.txt  #<---- Real last boss here
scene   data/scenes/goodend.txt
end
branch   BadEnd
scene   data/scenes/badend.txt
end

I hope this is understandable.
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline Pierwolf

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 04:47:23 am »

NEW UPDATE:

- changed very last boss' attacks and patterns (less cheap now).
- fixed boss 4-armed fiend's projectile slower start-up again.
- fixed counter: now it works only if you press the attack button within the first 5 frames after the block.

NEW DOWNLOAD LINK

My current project:

0%

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal