Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 14
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: GI JOE - Attack on Cobra Island  (Read 20398 times)

Offline nsw25

• My latest films official facebook page
Re: GI JOE - Attack on Cobra Island
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 08:04:04 pm »
Its a fun game, is it just me or with flying level you have to fly at same level as the ships at sea and you have to get hit by them just so you can get in position to hit them ?
My current project: Simpsons treehouse of horror
My very first mod: Evil dead 2 redux

Offline Count Monte

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 08:10:41 pm »
Damon, thanks for the info!  I think I kept the music files in .wav format, just need to find the folder.  Does OGG sound worse than .bor?

nsw25, when you're on the flying (Skyhawk) level, primary attack is machine guns but you can also drop bombs.  It's best to use the bombs against the Cobra boats.

On all the vehicle modes, I do suggest trying out the other keys because many have secondary (and on the WHALE even 3) attacks.

Offline HideRaisen

• Be fair to others as you are to yourself.
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 10:53:36 pm »
 :laughing: It's about time I been waiting to play this mod and finally it's here I'm getting it now thanks for your hard work Count Monte & Bloodbane on finishing this mod. ;)
*Current MOD*
- In progress - The Last Blade Hell's Gate
(34% Complete)

Offline maxman

• I'm a slowpoke in speed.
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2012, 11:50:43 pm »
Thank you for the upload on G.I. Joe, Count Monte. But I got a problem. I was in that stage where you see that Joe automobile and the giant rock are. The giant rock plays a role as a wall and I've tried to smash it, but no use. I can't get through and I don't seem to jump on the car too. Any idea on what to do?
Dragon Duo (W.I.P./Outdated demo (2010 version)) (in progress)
Captain Commando (in progress)
Unelmia: Dreamers' Fate (collaborating with contress/taskmaster) (in progress)

Best OpenBOR mods:Spoiler
1. World Heroes Supreme Justice
2. Golden Axe Myth
3. Art of Fighting: Beats of Rage Remix III
4. A Tale of Vengeance
5. Valdivia Ransom City (demo)
6. Sega Brawlers Megamix
7. Super Fightin Spirit
8. Angel-0

Offline bulletndahead

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2012, 11:53:21 pm »
1.When fighting Zartan i could not see the grenades untill the last minute to dodge them so pretty much i dodged them by luck.

The trick in avoiding Zartan's grenades is look at his hand. If he raises his arm, he's throwing grenade at you. No need to look where the grenade is, just move away! :)

2.Some hit detection seems a bit off where my attacks dont connect and i get hit mostly regular bosses.

Can you tell which bosses would that be?

@ becker: I'm checking those now :).
Thanks for the tip on Zartan, i should have double checked my post i meant some of the regular enemies my moves miss but the enemies hit me. The bosses Ive never had a problem.
I forgot the level name but when you are flying the plane and dropping bombs on the vehicles and the enemies I get stuck on the joe carrier when I try to get more bombs and only can move left and right untill i get off the carrier.
In the level where you try to rescue Scarlet the elevators that take you up I couldnt move left or right on it while it was going up.

Offline Count Monte

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 03:38:03 am »
Maxman, yes you have to use the jeep (VAMP) to break through the rock walls.  If you push the attack button, the jeep has a ram attack.

bullet, with the platforms, sometimes you will get stuck, there's really nothing we can do about that.  However, you can still jump in those situations, so you can still usually jump off and land where you need to go.  The other glitch is sometimes if you're shot and fall on the platform, it might take a while before it lets you get up or move.  We're aware of that, and haven't solved it.  Luckily, it's quite rare that you'll encounter it.

Offline Crimefighters2

• Double Dragon Advance, kicks ***.
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 05:15:08 am »
I Like the mod, really cool 80's feeling. I agree that the gun needs less charging time.

Very cool sprites altho I didn't like most of the vechile stages, wish there was an option to skip ahead, altho the bike stage was cool, would have been nice to have ramps or to be able to push the enemies into pits or something.

I'm disapointed that there are not that many moves, I think the characters need at least a rise attack a grapple and a uppercutt or 2.

I really liked the single platform stages, haven't finished the mod yet but it's pretty good, thanks guys.  :cheers!:
Play Crime Busters latest version, Nightslashers X, 8man and Return of Double Dragon.

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2012, 12:09:39 pm »
Damon, thanks for the info!  I think I kept the music files in .wav format, just need to find the folder.  Does OGG sound worse than .bor?

nsw25, when you're on the flying (Skyhawk) level, primary attack is machine guns but you can also drop bombs.  It's best to use the bombs against the Cobra boats.

On all the vehicle modes, I do suggest trying out the other keys because many have secondary (and on the WHALE even 3) attacks.

It's more about the sound itself and what you do with it. No, .ogg doesn't sound "better" inherently, and if you aren't careful it can sound much worse or exactly the same while using twice the space. The main benefit is more options as far as compression vs. quality so you have the potential for better sound. That and not dealing with the annoying process of converting files to .bor format.

So yes, if you know what you are doing you can certainly get more mileage out of .ogg, but that's the catch; you need to know what you're doing. Also, an obvious but often forgotten point is you can't make the original audio sound better than it already does. The best you can possibly do is make it not sound worse. Think of it like pouring water from a small glass into a gallon jug. Sure the container is more robust, but that doesn't change how much water you have.

It's not rocket science, but explaining all various the nuances of compression vs. quality, audio track mixing and all that does go a bit beyond the scope of a single post. If I get a chance perhaps I could do a youtube tutorial, or maybe someone else here is up to the task.

DC
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:22:42 pm by Damon Caskey »
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

Offline Count Monte

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 05:09:00 pm »
Thanks for clarifying Damon.  A tutorial would be fantastic.
Bloodbane has done a great job with the PAK version of the game, he's reduced the file to about 30MB (without music).  With music it's at about 70MB.  I've seen people on here in the past use OGG to reduce music file sizes so I just assumed it was the smallest file size.  I suppose for now we'll release the PAK at the 70MB size, and if someone is able to compress the music and keep the quality relatively intact, then we can always update the PAK at a later date.  Just trying to provide the best quality for people without taking up too much space!

Crimefighters,  I certainly respect your criticism.  We intentionally left out grappling moves as this is intended to be a hybrid shooter.  Think of it as a shooter with combos.  I DO agree that we should speed up the mp recharge, especially since we're urging you to use weapons.  The vehicle modes are also part of the shooter concept.  Back when the GI JOE toyline was revamped in the 80's and went from large dolls to small action figures, their goal was actually to have a vehicle toyline primarily -- the figures were just supposed to be accessories for the vehicles. 
One other HUGE inspiration for me was the old Apple II game CAPTAIN GOODNIGHT AND THE ISLANDS OF FEAR.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapg2Y1KplU

I would say that our Cobra Island quest is basically a loose remake of Captain Goodnight.  What was so cool about that game (back in the day) was that you got to get in and out of so many vehicles -- planes, tanks, subs etc, as well as on-foot missions. 
Overall, this GI JOE mod is more of an old-school type game than a pure modern beat 'em up with grappling.  We do still have combos, air juggles etc which adds some nice variety. 

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:06:59 pm by Count Monte »

Offline Count Monte

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 09:02:57 pm »
One other old Apple 2 game that I tried to loosely recreate was South Pacific Quest.  There was a level with a bridge going over lava, and you had to find a way to knock the bridge down in order to get to the other side:

For our game, I put a bridge over a water fall, and the way down to the exit is blocked.  You have to destroy the red barrel (it explodes), which destroys the bridge and allows you to fall to the platform on the other side.

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 12:27:51 am »
Quote from: bulletndahead
I forgot the level name but when you are flying the plane and dropping bombs on the vehicles and the enemies I get stuck on the joe carrier when I try to get more bombs and only can move left and right untill i get off the carrier.

Oh yes, I forgot to tell everyone that while riding Skystriker, there are extra rules. One of them is:
Skystriker can't ascend and turn until it has enough speed

Therefore after landing on Carrier, press and hold forward until you have enough speed then you are allowed to ascend or turn :).
 Hmmm.... I'll post generic movelist later.

@ Count Monte: So that's where the idea of South Pacific from! Kinda reminds me on Mario game ;)

@ becker: See the attached shot below. Are the bullets big enough now?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:56:15 am by Bloodbane »
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline erifpiR

• Welcome to Dark Technology
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 10:36:20 pm »
This Mod is compatibility for Sega DreamCast?  :eek:

Offline ryomaneo

• packegedgeneration
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 12:33:16 am »
 :laughing: This mod is the bomb deffintey feels like old school arcade style from between
90S & 80S. I love how you have put a mixture of gameplay into this project like that battle between the old school game from atari called seaquest then that tank battle was fantastic the plane  one not so much but still good. This game has such potential in gameplay and very challenging above all that the graphic designs its awesome to see how much of  a masterpeice this came out to be. As for your next project it should be a remake of transformers in this style keep up the terrific work cant wait  for more of your masterpeice designs count & lets not forget bloodbane for the helping hand you guys are pros  at making projects together and i hope you keep making them for everyone to enjoy espicially the ones that love old school gameplay including myself which grew up with that generation and style.  :cheers!:

and heres the game i was responding too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9GNDwad27E
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:39:48 am by ryomaneo »

Offline Count Monte

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 09:15:35 pm »
Thank you ryomaneo!  It sounds like you and I both grew up playing the same games. 
Bloodbane has done a phenomenal job with this mod -- I can't sing his praises enough.  I knew this was going to be something special when I saw what he did with Croc Master's boss fight.

Nice find with Seaquest!  I loved that game (along with Megamania and many other 2600 games -- now that takes me back!).  There was also a solar powered handheld game by Bandai where you were in a sub.  All of these games were definitely something I wanted to bring back with this mod.  Once we release the PAK I'm also going to go over to some of the GI JOE message boards and make people aware of it.  I'll be very curious to see how the old school GI JOE fans react to it.  I hope they enjoy it:)

Offline Pierwolf

• Pierwolf's Magic chamber of abstract theories about relativity of Karma and metempsychosis
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2012, 09:09:50 am »
So Count, finally you release this! congratulations, great work, i will replay this as soon as possible ! too bad i don't know well the GI JOE history 'cause i've never seen the cartoons (only the movie, but it was so bad :P).  :cheers!:
My current project:

Knights & Dragons: The Endless Quest - COMPLETE!

0%

mighty
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal