Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 155
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: What feeds the cab  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
What feeds the cab
« on: August 07, 2008, 10:38:33 pm »
Since my file server is effectively my gaming cabinet, rebuilding it fit better here then anywhere else.

As mentioned in other threads, my old file server recently died. Since I run an Active Directory domain and this machine served as the DNS/DHCP profile server too, it took down the rest of my network with it.

It was a hodge podge of equipment I assembled as cheaply as possible about 8 years ago and gradually updated. I make a decent living, but I still like doing things for as little as I can get away with.

The case itself is a good example; I spotted it in a dumpster while at the Lee's Famous Recipe drive thru in Somerset. I grabbed it, gutted it, cleaned it up, and viola, a full tower with 11 total drive bays for free.

I traced the failure to a blown capacitor on the motherboard, which somehow took the system drive and two of the data drives with it. Pretty freak thing really, but I've seen worse before. In any case it wasn't worth rebuilding since I had another box on standby. Here is a picture of it gutted of the drives. Its going back to the mini graveyard at an office I keep in Morehead for spare parts.

The case had an interesting quirk; one of the drive racks actually sits above the power supply. Since pretty much every drive slot in both racks was filled, and the case in general was a bad cooling design, I had to have no less then 14 fans in it.

-CPU Fan
-Video Fan
-Power Supply Fan
-HD bay cooler (rear bay)
-HD bay cooler (front bay)
-*2 auxiliary exhaust blowers (black units occupying the bottom 2 expansion bays)
-1 Front intake fan
-2 auxiliary intake fan sets (3 fans each; grill units occupying top two external drive bays)

When running it sounded like a Sabb Turboprop sitting on the tarmac, but it least it stayed cool. 8 years service life isn't bad for any server, especially a home made one. Here were it's last specs:

Chassis:Gateway 2000 ATX Full tower
Processors:*1 PIII 800Mhz
Memory:1.5GB PC133
Internal Storage (All ATA 133):*1 20GB (System)
*2 40GB (Data)
*1 12GB (System Utility, Virtual memory)
*2 200GB (Media storage)
External Storage:*1 HP SCSI 24GB Surestore Tape Backup
*1 CD/DVD ROM
*1 3.5 Floppy
Video:64MB ATI
Sound:Onboard
-Active Directory Domain Controller
-DNS
-DHCP
-File and printer server
-Terminal Services

May it rest in piece..... :innocent:

Well, I had a dead server, and had to get it going quick. Conveniently enough, for almost two years now I have had a Dell Poweredge 1600sc sitting and eating electricity. It was purchased, still in the box, from a Korean family having a move sale for $70. Not a typo. They sold me an untouched server for seventy bucks. Made me nervous enough to run the serial, but it's legit. Almost makes me feel guilty cause they had to be crazy or really strapped. Such is the way of business though.

:electrocution:

It was meant to host an NWN2 upgrade of an NWN world I had going for some time. But NWN2 sucked, and everyone had been pulled into WoW before I could get it ready. So it sat. I would occasionally run some DB projects out of it, and I would use it as a fast OpenBOR compiler unit, but that's about it.

Now my old one was dead, and not worth fixing. The catch is, the Dell was a pretty bare bones model and only had a single SCSI drive in it. I thought about grabbing a few more and taking advantage of already having a SCSI controller, but SCSI drives are not only insanely expensive, it's almost impossible to keep up with all the differing standards. Chances are, I'd get the drives and then find they wouldn't work with my controller at all. I could have just shoved my remaining ATA 133 drives in from the old server, but doing that just seemed, I dunno, wrong. That left SATA. So I finally decided to buy something for once and picked up a Raid5 capable SATA II controller and two 1TB drives.

Here is the drive bay with the SCSI drive and two SATA II drives in place. The SCSI is the system drive, and the SATA IIs are storage. They run hardware Raid I, meaning that they are mirrored without any software or load on the CPU; the system sees them as a single drive, and what goes on one goes identically on the other. So I actually only have 1TB of storage, but if one drive fails, not a single byte is lost and the system doesn't even slow down. I'm free to get a replacement at my leisure, and just hooking it up is all that is needed. It will be formated and mirrored automatically.

And here is another with the drive assembly in place.

There is also a reason why the SATA drives are on the bottom. In the pic below you can see the cooling design. The chassis is divided by a baffle into 3 sections, and each one works like a wind tunnel. The power supply draws air for the top section, a front fan forces air through the bottom to cool the expansion boards, and a large fan in the back draws air for the drive bay and motherboard.

As you can see, the idea is that the drive bay assembly being itself part of the middle air intake will give the drives plenty of cooling. The obvious flaw in this design is that if the hard drive bay isn't full, air is just going to pass through the biggest gap between the drives without really cooling any of them. So by putting the SATA drives on the bottom, their heat will rise into the airflow and be expelled. Were they on the top, air would simply flow underneath and barely cool them at all, plus they would be cooking the system drive. I could space them out, but it's not that bad and I'd rather have them together so I know which are which. I'll be adding more drives later, which in turn will work into the case's cooling design and fix the problem anyway.

Everything done but plugging in the second processor....

Final specs:

Chassis:Dell Poweredge 1600sc
Processors:*2 Xeon Dual Core 2.4Ghz
Memory:2.5GB SDRAM
Internal Storage:*1 80GB SCSI (system drive)
*2 1TB SATAII on RAID1
External Storage:*1 HP SCSI 24GB Surestore Tape Backup
*1 CD/DVD ROM
*1 3.5 Floppy
Video:Onboard
Sound:Onboard
-Active Directory Domain Controller
-DNS
-DHCP
-File and printer server
-Terminal Services

Total cost, exactly $1271.00. That is what I am most proud of; the specs aren't all that great, but were you to buy a machine premade with comparable numbers (and RAID5 capable as this one is), you'd probably spend around 4-5 times that much. It really pays to do your own handiwork.

Alone in the closet that it once shared, now fully assembled and and ready to rock. It may not look like a gaming cabinet, but there is a museum of MAME and Neo-Geo roms in there, not to mention the entire Lavalit collection of OpenBOR modules. Maybe one of these days I will assemble a wireless cabinet to take advantage of it all.

You can also see more of me being a cheap a** in that the server utility desk is an old stereo cabinet. Hey, why not? Didn't cost a dime, nobody sees it with the door closed and it makes a neat little rack complete with slide out tray for the keyboard. My main printer is the same way (it's not in the picture). I use an Lexmark Optra E+ taken out of a local library's E-Waste rack. They were going to throw it away, and all it needed was a feeder wheel. 16 years old and still trucking. It's an ugly looking little cube of a printer, but it's laser, small, and free.

I do love free, but at this point, you can probably tell that for yourself

;D

DC
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 11:47:04 pm by Damon Caskey »
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

Offline danno

• remember...you're unique, just like everyone else
Re: What feeds the cab
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 04:34:10 am »
 I would put the p.c case behind the monitor, turn the whole thing 90 degrees, push it into the corner, put alittle chair where the case used to be and lock myself in there every weekend for alittle me time.  ;D

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
Re: What feeds the cab
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 07:25:02 am »
LOL, well, you might notice there is a folding chair sitting there. It's that metal thing peeking around the doorway. I don't think I've ever actually sat there though. Whenever I need to do something on the server that isn't hardware related I just remote in from my desk or laptop.

Servers generally suck at doing desktop stuff anyway, like playing games, running applications and whatnot. This is because they have bare bones video cards, usually no sound, an intentionally bare minimum of drivers installed, and most of their power is configured for handling huge loads at a steady pace rather then small ones in quick bursts like a PC. Mine is no different. It could probably do most work stuff, but I doubt it would run emulators or OpenBOR, and I've never tried. It certainly wouldn't run any modern game; that onboard video would choke on itself.

You could install some better video cards and such to make it desktop ready I guess, but if I did that what would be the point of having a server? The whole reason servers don't have that stuff is to cut costs and avoid the issues of extra drivers causing slowdown and reliability problems.

DC
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:35:55 am by Damon Caskey »
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

0%

mighty
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal