Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 16
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Golden Axe Genesis  (Read 19562 times)

Offline baritonomarchetto77

Re: Golden Axe Genesis
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 09:09:25 am »
Finally, i can say something about Golden Axe Genesis. I wanna anticipate that i have appreciated the game, even if some problems persist.

What is Good:

Levels graphics: original levels are good enought not to deface in front of level characterizing the classic golden axe. Some examples are the ?Twilight?, ?Ancient City?, ?Antartide? (if i remember well). A very good point here! Very appreciated here the existance of a ?battlefield? level, like in Revenge of Death Adder.
Concerning this, there are also bad points: the ?intermediate? level, the one in whitch you increase your power, is poor if compared with the others. Considering that it appears more or less 5 times, you should dedicate some additional time to that level.

Death Animations/Finishers: probably THE innovation that this game brings to the Golden axe series. They are really good.

Enemyes/Players: This game includes almost all the GA chars and enemies, and it has a good feeling. This makes fell like beeing playing to the final all versus all conflict. Another good point :)

What should be corrected:

Levels platforms: some platform is missing (for example in the first level, abandoned village, the very first (little) level jump is missing).

?Y? Offsets: they are wrong, but not completely wrong. Let me explain better: there is a ?school of thinking? related to 1P Vs 1P games like street fighter that teaches that offset should be placed in the back side of the feet, and not in the middle of the player. This approach works with those games because the player never turns... but, Enrico, dont forget that we have a side scrolling beat em all here, and that approach dont apply well. The positioning of the ?Y? coordinate in the middle of the player will solve additionally problems like the ?not correct interaction with walls?, which is another problem in your game.

Magics: Incremental magics are missing here! You had to use scripts for this, but in the view of a ?Classic Modded? game, you could use some buttons sequence for lower level magics (?com? command in the player header). You could also spend much more time on this... Golden Axe IS magics.

There is still some other think that could be said (boss music is absent, grab is completely absent, range errors in the attacks (the wizard attack is a long rage one: did you used ?range? command for your enemies?), some player combo needs a review in order to finish (check Ax II for example),some palette error (red claw man, for example).

Anyhow, a good mod. I hope errors will be checked and corrected in a future release :)

Offline CE

• Working on Rage of the Streets v2
    • DCEvolution.net
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 03:45:39 am »
Some feedback from me:

At first, I think the game is really good (and it works perfectly on Dreamcast :cheers!: ), with only a few things I noticed that I think could be improved.

1. The graphics seem to lack some colors here and there in comparision to the original Mega Drive games. This could be corrected by using a better custom palette for the game, or at least by using better color conversion methods (Adaptive, Perceptual) when exporting your graphics in Photoshop.

2. The characters do feel great when controlling them around (= very Golden Axe like), but they still seem to lack some animations and moves from the original games (e.g. the dragons).

There also seem to be problems with slightly inaccurate hit detection and missing hit flash, The timing needs fixing too: Punching your enemies doesn't feel like in the original game(s). Also, using Forward, Forward +Attack does not kick you back when hitting an enemy like it should (see original Golden Axe games, especially Golden Axe 3), instead the player seems to "fall" through the enemies....?

I propose to compare the characters in your mod with how they control and play in Golden Axe 3. You'll notice that unlike Golden Axe 1 and 2, Golden Axe 3 controls very precise, yet fast paced. I am sure you can adjust your characters so they are a lot closer to the original game(s).

3. This is a personal opinion, but the dwarfs from whatever late Golden Axe arcade game look way out of place in comparision to the Genesis graphics. I would consider removing them to keep the overall theme consistant.

It also was annoying that the enemies managed to kill me without even giving me a chance to get up again  :'(

- Overall I like this game a lot, but I really really do hope that you will fix these issues, and that we will see a few updates to this rough diamond.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 03:48:28 am by CE »
http://dcemulation.org/index.php5?title=OpenBORManual

How to mod:
1 Pick an interesting game: There are plenty of 8-bit/16-bit classics waiting for a remake
2 Rip your own sprites & stages
3 Use a custom palette: http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/tutorial.htm
4 Check your offsets: http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php?topic=1099.0

Did you know?
Using void main()
{
playgif("data/my.gif", 0, -4, 1);
}

as spawnscript streams a GIF anim instead of loading it

Offline miguelo

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 10:50:33 am »
hey many thanks for this!!  mamma mia with the italian ;D

i really like and enjoy your game. is truth that some things can be better, but also you do several cool things.

i LOVE your script. the script is one of the most important thing in a movie or game and you do one very cool ;), so i love the intro. 
and the same with stages, a good collection of ripped cute stages plus the original cool music of the golden axe saga, and not other rare music.

the only bad things can be that some players are really really slow (but when you run they run fast), so the result is you use run all the time and don't walk almost never, so i think that a little more speed in these chars, can be good...
the speed for run is correct, i only thing the speed for walk (only in some chars) must be changed (always in my humble opinion)

some examples can be:
death adder up + 2 speed, and others can be the wrestler or gilius, that are too slow compared with the original versions of their respective games...

also ax battler from gaxe 3 have they super cool run attack with the sword and not the shoulder, but are a little slow for me, compared with the other 2 ax battlers.

also i like the run + attack move, is a fast, good, and usefull move, but i really miss the original "big jump + down" attack move (maybe this is named "picket" in english?) from original golden axe series or gaxe remake from utunnels.

one little and not too much important thing, can be that skeleton enemy, that not make sounds when it moves, like the skeletons from the other cool gaxe bor game, "golden axe remake" from utunnels. with more sound these enemy's looks more frightful.

and most important, skeletons (one of the most hard enemy's in gaxe games) don't make you these "picket" attacks to you, only attacks you normally. but also i can understand that if you cant make "pickets", well the enemy's either cant do it...

another thing is that in some stages you cant move too much...
i remenber for example the Viking ship and the followed stage "the port stage". in these and other stages you can use more space in up or down parts of the stage for can moving more and make these stages more confortable and playable.

another thing is that when you grab one animal you cant run + attack like in the original games, this can only be maked with the slug from gaxe 2, but not with the dragons.
also, is not necessary, but can be good that you can down from the animal, like happens in gaxe remake.

in this moment i don't remenber another things, but after all those criticisms beleave that i really enjoy playing your game, and in special with some cool things you make.
like all these ways avaliable, all those chars avaliable, the duel mode, and in special make death adder and alex playable!. VERY VERY original and cool idea man!. :laughing:

so congratulations for all that work, and many thanks for your game.

and sorry for me poor english, because I'm Spanish.

pd: and of course happy Christmas and happy new year for you and the rest.

pd2: 3 questions/things:

1) BEWARE BIG SPOILER FROM THE END!!!!!!!!!  DONT READ DOWN!!!
in the end, what happen to the heroes? they transform in rock? oh, i can understand that they die because genesis die, but is a little sad... :teary_eyed:

2) for curiosity, the genesis enemy from what game have been ripped?

3) i see that exist one little fail in the game with the sprites of the knight without head.

Offline krizalid

• SEEP BLOG
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 02:32:03 pm »
Some feedback from me:

At first, I think the game is really good (and it works perfectly on Dreamcast :cheers!: ), with only a few things I noticed that I think could be improved.

- Overall I like this game a lot, but I really really do hope that you will fix these issues, and that we will see a few updates to this rough diamond.

Thank you man for your comments and precious councils!  :cheers!: ;D

hey many thanks for this!!  mamma mia with the italian ;D

i really like and enjoy your game. is truth that some things can be better, but also you do several cool things.

i LOVE your script. the script is one of the most important thing in a movie or game and you do one very cool ;), so i love the intro. 
and the same with stages, a good collection of ripped cute stages plus the original cool music of the golden axe saga, and not other rare music.

the only bad things can be that some players are really really slow (but when you run they run fast), so the result is you use run all the time and don't walk almost never, so i think that a little more speed in these chars, can be good...
the speed for run is correct, i only thing the speed for walk (only in some chars) must be changed (always in my humble opinion)

some examples can be:
death adder up + 2 speed, and others can be the wrestler or gilius, that are too slow compared with the original versions of their respective games...

also ax battler from gaxe 3 have they super cool run attack with the sword and not the shoulder, but are a little slow for me, compared with the other 2 ax battlers.

also i like the run + attack move, is a fast, good, and usefull move, but i really miss the original "big jump + down" attack move (maybe this is named "picket" in english?) from original golden axe series or gaxe remake from utunnels.

one little and not too much important thing, can be that skeleton enemy, that not make sounds when it moves, like the skeletons from the other cool gaxe bor game, "golden axe remake" from utunnels. with more sound these enemy's looks more frightful.

and most important, skeletons (one of the most hard enemy's in gaxe games) don't make you these "picket" attacks to you, only attacks you normally. but also i can understand that if you cant make "pickets", well the enemy's either cant do it...

another thing is that in some stages you cant move too much...
i remenber for example the Viking ship and the followed stage "the port stage". in these and other stages you can use more space in up or down parts of the stage for can moving more and make these stages more confortable and playable.

another thing is that when you grab one animal you cant run + attack like in the original games, this can only be maked with the slug from gaxe 2, but not with the dragons.
also, is not necessary, but can be good that you can down from the animal, like happens in gaxe remake.

in this moment i don't remenber another things, but after all those criticisms beleave that i really enjoy playing your game, and in special with some cool things you make.
like all these ways avaliable, all those chars avaliable, the duel mode, and in special make death adder and alex playable!. VERY VERY original and cool idea man!. :laughing:

so congratulations for all that work, and many thanks for your game.

and sorry for me poor english, because I'm Spanish.

pd: and of course happy Christmas and happy new year for you and the rest.

pd2: 3 questions/things:

1) BEWARE BIG SPOILER FROM THE END!!!!!!!!!  DONT READ DOWN!!!
in the end, what happen to the heroes? they transform in rock? oh, i can understand that they die because genesis die, but is a little sad... :teary_eyed:

2) for curiosity, the genesis enemy from what game have been ripped?

3) i see that exist one little fail in the game with the sprites of the knight without head.

Thank you very much!!!  :cheers!: :cheers!:

1)Yes is sad,but just for the storyboard!  ;D

2) Chou Aniki for SNES. ;)

3) For Headless Knight not exist pain frames....  :teary_eyed:

good new year  :cheers!: :cheers!: :cheers!:

Offline miguelo

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 08:59:24 am »
hi ;), well i don't notice that (that the knight without head enemy don't have pain sprites) to be more exactly, i refered to the WALKING sprites of the no head knight:

something works wrong, because if i remenber fine, in the shoulder or for there, the sprites have a fail and looks bad.

this can be for a fail in these ripped sprites, or for a bad order in the game that causes some part of the sprites appears in the wrong place of the knight...

these are the only enemy i see in the game with that fail. the rest looks perfect.

and happy new year 2009...  or 2010, or 2011, because that world crisis i hope one of these years finally can be happy  :laughing: :laughing: ;)

the best gift right now... is a piggy moneybox ;)

Offline NeneBuano

• somebody poisoned the waterhole...
    • A.S.N.O
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 12:46:41 pm »
Bravo, bravo! Me piace molto!

Congratulations, and keep the hard work!
Thers a snake?n my boot...

Offline krizalid

• SEEP BLOG
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 06:17:34 am »
Bravo, bravo! Me piace molto!

Congratulations, and keep the hard work!

Grazie mille!!  :cheers!:

Thank you for playning my Mod!  ;D ;)

Offline Maturion

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 03:26:26 pm »
Danke, danke!

This is really an awesome thing, I just burned it. :)

Offline krizalid

• SEEP BLOG
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 11:46:03 pm »
Danke, danke!

This is really an awesome thing, I just burned it. :)

Thank you Man!!!  :cheers!: :cheers!: :cheers!:

Offline Expio

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 03:52:58 pm »
Well, I am a big fan of the Golden Axe serie and I can say that this is one of the best Openbor that I have played.

But... I find a couple of big problems.

First I get stuck with the munts. Few times when I run with the mount I get stuck, freeze in site and I can?t move in any direction. I may wait to be hit by a enemy.

Second. In the beach stage and the ancient city stage the game I get stuck at the end of the stage. In certain moment I can?t continue playing because I can finish the stage and I can?t find any enemy.

I play in the PSP and I use the last versi?n of the engine and the 1134 version.

Offline krizalid

• SEEP BLOG
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 04:17:55 pm »
Thank you!  :cheers!:

Mmmh this Mod is only tested on OpenBor 2.16.13 and last release.
In 2.16.13 is perfect and in last Version only bug existing is for the special
moves with command BACK-RIGHT...
For PSP I do not know like functions  :teary_eyed:

Offline Expio

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 04:57:48 pm »
Mmmh this Mod is only tested on OpenBor 2.16.13 and last release.

In 2.16.13 is perfect and in last Version only bug existing is for the special
moves with command BACK-RIGHT...

Where is the 2.16.13. version? I don?t find it.

And the Panther Man is a bit overpowered. The enemies can?t break your combos and you can win the game easy.

Gillius is another overpowered but... is Gillius  ;)

EDIT

Well, I found the 2.16.13. version and I finished the game with the real end.

OSOM!!!!!!!!!

Another bugs:

- The magic-meat combo. If you hit two times to the blue guys you can get two magics or two meats. If you wait a second one of the magics-meats dissapear.

If you hit with a mount to a blue boy you only get one magic-meat.

- The enemys are invulnerable when they jumpping. If you hit a enemy in the air He/she not recive damage.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 06:32:05 pm by Expio »

Offline baritonomarchetto77

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 03:38:56 am »

It works perfectly on PSP with one of the latest releases (dont remember which release is running on my phatty PSP, sorry).

Offline miguelo

the sound of the axe...
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 02:37:59 pm »
--THE SOUND OF THE AXE-- golden axe incredible secrets!!!

hey, i have one thing TOTALLY INCREDIBLE!.

this is in special for UTUNNELS and SEEP, that make the golden axe bor remakes, and OF COURSE for all the fans of golden axe. because im totally sure that all the people that loves golden axe MUST SEE THIS!!!.

did you remember the golden axe fx sounds?. these are great, huh?
well, did you can imagine what used the programmers for do that sounds?
you never imagine from where are... hehehe

please see this video, im swear all you that not are boring, and is not the thing you maybe imagine.

be prepared to be surprised. just see it...

note:
im sorry because after search in youtube, i only found the video with spanish subtitles, and not in english.
but after all, you only have to ear the sounds for understand the rest...

the sound of the axe --spanish subtitles version--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPDSfTwJFYc

like spanish is very close to italian, i hope that SEEP dont have problems for understand it. but after all, i repeat that you all can understand it by simply ear that sounds ;)

incredible... huh? :wow!: ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:41:57 pm by miguelo »

Offline Die_In_Fire

• Where eagles dare!
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 03:16:48 pm »
very good video!!

already knew about Conan and First Blood (Oh Gawd is a clasic!!!), but didnt know about the 2nd conan movie... I should have listened better to Grace Jones!!!

the music of "revenge of DA" is very inspired on basil's music (Conan)

0%

mighty
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal