Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 18
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: CastleVania BoR  (Read 44255 times)

Offline Darkmanx_429

Re: CastleVania BoR
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 03:41:30 pm »
and to avoid it's charges I am bring back the whip swinging (from Super Castlevania 4) and you will have to whip the light posts to swing over and avoid it's attacks.

Interesting! 1st boss gives high challenge.

That reminds me, there are modern armors in Castlevania for Genesis. One has wheels and moves back and fight while the other wields machine gun. 4th boss is comprised of gears in fact.

Anyways, enemies don't have to be modern IMO. some enemies like mermans, bats, will o wisps and skeletons from Castlevania games should be good enough for this mod.

Actually, alot more modern day weaponary has been employed in the later Castlevania's. Like the skeletons with guns in Symphony of the Night, or the gun turrent you can use (a big surprise) in Curse of Darkness. Obviously the guns won't effect the enemies like the Axe Knights (because of their armor). There will be plenty of classic CastleVania baddies though (I am an 80's brat). Upgrades to zombies and skeleton warriors (some using modern weaponary) should provide a nice change of pace.
"What a horrible night to have a curse"

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 03:49:15 pm »
Just for curiosity, what age of guns are we talking about here?

Black powder weapons have debatable penetration against heavy armors of their day, but that stuff might as well be paper against say, a common modern weapon like the 30-30.

DC

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 03:57:23 pm by Damon Caskey »
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

Offline Legend76

• "The time is now!"
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 03:53:33 pm »
I like the concept for this mod hope it goes well!
"This is who we are."

Offline Darkmanx_429

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 05:50:48 pm »
Just for curiosity, what age of guns are we talking about here?

Black powder weapons have debatable penetration against heavy armors of their day, but that stuff might as well be paper against say, a common modern weapon like the 30-30.

DC

Good question DC, well we are talking about having classic Contra elements, spread gun, flame, machine gun, etc. so the weapons are gonna be futuristic as far as the heroes are concerned. The timespan of the game is 20XX. I will talk more about the plot and characters in a next post. I finished a 1st draft earlier this morning.

Offline elliott20

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 11:14:19 pm »
so, the axe knight instead of using just heavy armor and a heavy shield, might actually employ the use of an inertial shield to absorb the rounds instead? Maybe throw in a chainsaw instead of an axe?

musket skeletons? that sounds like a pretty cool concept. Since we're talking futuristic skeletons though, this kind of makes me think of the necrons from Warhammer 40K

I think seeing all the classic bosses re-imagined would be kind of cool. Though, I'm somewhat hesitant to give them all the futuristic sheen since it kind of ruins a lot of their classic feel. i.e. Death from Castlevania X shouldn't get too much an upgrade, since he's meant to be timeless. But Frankenstein? now he could use an upgrade. Maybe now itself of just being a golem stitched together with a couple dead body parts, he's now a gigantic pile of corpses sewn together to form one gigantic flesh monster. I can see his introduction. You see him waist up sitting on a lab table. You think to yourself, "oh I remember this guy!", and then he begins to emerge from the floor below him, revealing all the horrific flesh that has been attached to him from the waist down. The grotesque imagery of limbs squirming involuntarily from faulty neuro-wiring unsettles you a little, but does not actually seem to pose a threat... until you realize, these limbs actually are fingers that is part of a much larger limb.

Offline Die_In_Fire

• Where eagles dare!
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 11:25:40 pm »
some castlevanias had skeleton on motorcycles, maybe you can add them on this mod too

skeleton musketeer are cool, there's also some type of sniper female being on the castlevania portrait of ruin

Offline Darkmanx_429

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 12:47:55 am »
 :wow!:Great ideas guess. I love that chainsaw/motorcycle idea too! It gives me a great idea about some things! Maybe I should reference MadMax? Don't forget I still need to keep in the Contra elements as well! Oh yeah, remember that idea I had about fighting the first boss on the bridge and swinging from lamppost to lamppost? Check this out:

The only question is how do I convert my stage to BoR so that it show's correctly? Right now I have it saved in a single piece in GIF form at 813x567. Do I break it up and then save it in pieces at 244x200 a piece?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 10:32:10 am by Darkmanx_429 »

Offline elliott20

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 02:21:55 am »
oh yeah, you should have Bruce Campbell be an unlockable character. Play as Ash!!!

Offline Vyck_St.Judas

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 12:29:13 pm »
 have you thought of a storyline yet.
as things are now i believe drac's castle is sealed away inside of some pocket dimesion. the only portal being a solar eclipse. Maybe mixing in the contra-verse aliens can cause a chain reaction.
maybe the aliens nuke a moon colony shifting its axis or rotation, or even splitting it in 2.
 that could serve to reopen the portal. or maybe the aliens are on some holy mission from their own gods.
imagine dracula re-powered with gifts from the ancient dark ones. Cthulu mythos stuff. Fits in with the hero not wanting to believe in his destiny. Or since dracula is supposed to be dead and reincarnated into a gay dude, you could use count orlock, seeing as how you can beat symphony without ever accessing his private quarters. it stands to reason that he may have still been there.
he's also got more animations than drac + a more bizarre transformation. if you need a base for custom orlock frames, you could use blackmore from order of ecclesia. his sprite is based off of orlock.
updating harker's outfit might be a good idea too. he still kinda looks like an old school cleric with a bazooka.
if you need help with the char edit let me know. im been working on an edit of dario from dawn of sorrow. is on my other laptop. ill post the wip here in a few minutes.

Offline Darkmanx_429

Storyline and some info on weapons etc.
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 01:10:48 pm »
Untitled CastleVania 20XX BOR

PLOT: Wallachia has turned into a modern day metropolis. Dracula?s Castle resurrects on top of the largest skyscraper in the city. Monsters start suddenly appearing to attack the inhabitants of the city.

Heroes:

Harker Belmont

STORY: The modern day decedent of the Belmont Clan, the legendary clan of vampire killers endowed with mystical abilities.  Hacker?s grandfather once told him about the story of Dracula and the Belmont?s to which  Harker does not believe. Harker does not claim his birthright until Dracula?s Castle appears and attacks Wallachia.

?I always thought the stories my grandfather told me where just fables to scare little kids. What a horrible night to have a curse.?

Weapons: (Upgradeable Whips)

Vampire Killer ? the legendary whip of the Belmont Family

Garlic Whip ? Whip made from the Bulbs of Garlic

Elementals: - By dipping his whip into different elements, Harker and bestow elemental attacks to the Vampire Hunter for a short while

Flame Whip ? By dipping the Vampire Killer into a lava stream or flame turns it into a flame whip that can incinerate enemies.

Ice Whip ? You can freeze enemies and then shatter them with the rounds from your gun. You can also freeze water into ice form and walk on it. (Hidden passages)

Order: Mystical weapon given to Harker from Jeremiah. Its rounds have been melted down from a sacred Cross to combat evil.

Jeremiah Van Helsing
Weapons: (Upgradeable Guns)

Gunsmith, Jeremiah Van Helsing. Jeremiah was the caretaker of the Vampire Killer whip handed down by Harker?s grandfather after the great Vampire Wars. He is also a descendent of a great clan of vampire killers that combats evil. Jeremiah knows that only a Belmont can harness the powers of the whip to destroy Dracula. Jeremiah has been preparing for years for Dracula enviable resurrection and has created much modern day weaponry to help him combat evil. Jeremiah seeks out Harker and is the one that bestows the Vampire Hunter to him.

?For centruries my father injected himself with Dracula?s very blood to stay immortal to stop Dracula from resurrecting in this time. However that came with a heavy price, my father?s soul was corrupted by Dracula?s blood and damned his soul. Unlike the mighty Belmonts who do not age and until they confront Dracula, I am just a mere mortal trying to do what is right.?

Chain Whip: Metallic whip made be Jeremiah?s own design.

Electric Whip: Jeremiah can electronically channel an electrical current through the chain whip to shock enemies. (Could also have the potential to be good for puzzles. Ex. Starting gears)

Law: One of 2 twin guns forged by Jeremiah. The rounds have been melted down from a sacred Cross to combat evil.

Holy Order of the Cross ? Holy Cross that can be used at any time.

**This is where I am at the moment. By the way, that character sprite is Jeremiah Van Helsing. I have not done a Harker sprite yet. I have some ideas in mind though. And yes,  that's what I am shooting for by using that character design an old cleric with guns. Also Vyck, if you wanna help with the project show me some examples of your CastleVaina sprites on this post. Right now Talic, he also helping me with some spriting. His character designs are awesome so far!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 01:29:01 pm by Darkmanx_429 »

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 02:37:09 pm »
 You have lots of plan for this mod. I hope you don't run out of fuel!

Good luck!
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline Darkmanx_429

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 03:06:33 pm »
You have lots of plan for this mod. I hope you don't run out of fuel!

Good luck!
Nan, I am pretty passionate about it! Besides with so many people wanting to contribute to the project how could I go wrong? :cheers!:

Offline Darkmanx_429

Some Baddies (Sneak Peak)
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 10:49:25 pm »
I think the hardest part of this mod is thinking of ideas for enemies and bosses yet still be original, familiar, and new at the same time. Well here are some of mine.
some castlevanias had skeleton on motorcycles, maybe you can add them on this mod too

skeleton musketeer are cool, there's also some type of sniper female being on the castlevania portrait of ruin

And some bosses:
(In Progress)
Evil got an upgrade! I was thinking how can I put a spin on the classic CastleVania Frankenstein monster, but still stay true to the Contra fans, well how about a giant Mechanical one with a chainsaw! The thing with this boss is that your whip will have no effect. You have to blast it apart to expose it's weak point. I included the Dracula x version of Frank for scale purposes.

Zombie Samus
A hidden boss in one of the alternate routes of the game. Metroid fans will be surprised about this one! Thought she might be a good challenge!

I also decided to only have 5 stages with an alternate route hidden in all of them. So that makes the game 10 stages long (with the hidden routes.) I know 5 stages doesn't seem long, but the scale of the stages and the alternate hidden routes should make up for it!

Opinions?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 10:56:06 pm by Darkmanx_429 »

Offline ryomaneo

• packegedgeneration
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 11:02:16 pm »
you are doing a great job with this project keep it up Darkmanx_429

Offline elliott20

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 01:06:18 am »
 :(

you didn't like my mega Frankenstein idea? *sniff*

nah, actually it's cool. Frankenstein with armor and a chainsaw actually feels pretty appropriate for an upgrade.

0%

mighty
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal