Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 161
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Possible PSP improvements  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Plombo

• Your source for useful modding tools!
Possible PSP improvements
« on: February 26, 2011, 05:36:28 pm »
It's been a while since the PSP was updated with new features.  There have been a couple of things introduced in the last year that the PSP could make good use of:
  • The XPM decoder in xpmlib.  Using it, the PSP could do what all of the other platforms do to load the logo menu images, and not have to load from .png files on the filesystem.
  • Hardware-accelerated brightness (and possibly gamma) correction using vga_set_color_correction().  The color correction code in openbor.c can be simplified once all platforms support the function - PSP is the only platform I have access to that doesn't support it.

Offline talic

• I kill you, and the Night!!!
    • Talic VisualBlog
Re: Possible PSP improvements
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 06:13:06 pm »
It will be nice to have new features in the psp port.
Go for it!  :cheers!:

Quick question:
Is it posibble to add  the feature of shutdown the psp wile playing a mod, and when you turn it on you can continue playing like all the psp games?.

Offline Plombo

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 07:02:04 pm »
It will be nice to have new features in the psp port.
Go for it!  :cheers!:

Quick question:
Is it posibble to add  the feature of shutdown the psp wile playing a mod, and when you turn it on you can continue playing like all the psp games?.

Whoops, maybe I wasn't clear enough...I can't do any of this myself because I don't have a PSP.  These are suggestions for SX, who recently started working on OpenBOR again for the time being.

Offline SX

• Administrator
    • LavaLit
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 07:31:22 pm »
The XPM decoder in xpmlib.  Using it, the PSP could do what all of the other platforms do to load the logo menu images, and not have to load from .png files on the filesystem.

I actually prefer to have them in png format.  That way the are released from memory once the engine starts up unlike the other platforms.

Hardware-accelerated brightness

The PSP has dedicated hardware (button) for controlling LCD brightness.  Though I don't think this is what your are referring to....

(and possibly gamma) correction using vga_set_color_correction().  The color correction code in openbor.c can be simplified once all platforms support the function - PSP is the only platform I have access to that doesn't support it.

The hardware support for gamma and color would be interesting....  I would have to look into this to see if its possible.  Should be do-able... since the PSP does use the GPU for blitting OpenBOR's screen data without any conversions.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:33:17 pm by SX »

Offline Plombo

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 08:29:37 pm »
The XPM decoder in xpmlib.  Using it, the PSP could do what all of the other platforms do to load the logo menu images, and not have to load from .png files on the filesystem.

I actually prefer to have them in png format.  That way the are released from memory once the engine starts up unlike the other platforms.

Right, I forgot about the memory usage with relation to the PSP's limited memory resources...

Hardware-accelerated brightness

The PSP has dedicated hardware (button) for controlling LCD brightness.  Though I don't think this is what your are referring to....

You're right, it's not.  I mean the brightness that you can set in the video options.  More importantly, it's used for fading the screen at the end of each level.  I assume that screen fading on the PSP (at least in 16/32-bit color mode) is very slow like it used to be on the Wii, since a CPU-intensive darkening operation has to be run on every pixel in every frame when fading.  Implementing vga_set_color_correction() should be able to speed it up to about the same speed as PCs. :cheers!:

(and possibly gamma) correction using vga_set_color_correction().  The color correction code in openbor.c can be simplified once all platforms support the function - PSP is the only platform I have access to that doesn't support it.

The hardware support for gamma and color would be interesting....  I would have to look into this to see if its possible.  Should be do-able... since the PSP does use the GPU for blitting OpenBOR's screen data without any conversions.

As a hint, try looking at the texture environment if there is one available, or a pixel shader otherwise. :)

0%

mighty
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal