Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 142
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Re: What do you think about hacking other creator's mod?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline cykillburn

Re: What do you think about hacking other creator's mod?
« on: October 18, 2011, 03:20:12 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYXiEJay-tY hi everyone pls watch my new mod w/ my new character .. comment plz

Offline cykillburn

Re: Re: What do you think about hacking other creator's mod?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 03:21:18 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYXiEJay-tY watch watch my mod w/ new character

Offline becker

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 04:20:16 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYXiEJay-tY hi everyone pls watch my new mod w/ my new character .. comment plz

I think you should make the big explosion a separate entity and use spawnframe to create it. That way your character does not disappear for the duration of the explosion. Plus it would look cool if he is just standing there when the dust settles like nothing happened.

Offline maxman

• I'm a slowpoke in speed.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 05:03:25 am »
Why don't you create a topic of your WIP for your mod? In that way, whether or not they will comment on what's new. You can let us know what you're working on.
Dragon Duo (W.I.P./Outdated demo (2010 version)) (in progress)
Captain Commando (in progress)
Unelmia: Dreamers' Fate (collaborating with contress/taskmaster) (in progress)

Best OpenBOR mods:Spoiler
1. World Heroes Supreme Justice
2. Golden Axe Myth
3. Art of Fighting: Beats of Rage Remix III
4. A Tale of Vengeance
5. Valdivia Ransom City (demo)
6. Sega Brawlers Megamix
7. Super Fightin Spirit
8. Angel-0

Offline Nozomi

• I'll back with beats of rage mod.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 07:01:56 am »
I'm so afraid of hacking mods.....Because hacking mods seems like breaking Creators of hacked mods's idea and style.
I also want to hack Vampire of Rage mod by tails. But I enduring it. because of that reason.

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 07:27:49 am »
define hacking? editing an existing mod to make it better isn't hacking it, but adding in extra stuff  and doing it badly is definately closer.

It's fine to revive old mods as I think as long as it's fairly old and the original author isn't still working on their own remake/update.

Looking at the video looks like it's merley the original BoR you've edited, there's no problem with that, it's how most mods get started.

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 12:18:47 pm »
I'm so afraid of hacking mods.....Because hacking mods seems like breaking Creators of hacked mods's idea and style.

TBH I agree with you but since mods aren't protected, I accepted the fact that anyone could hack and modify my mods.
 Moreover, allowing others to hack mods is much better to help others than securing mods so noone could take a peek inside.
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline becker

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 06:32:14 pm »
When I work on my mods I try to keep everything consistent and easy. I do it for myself but also I expect people to look inside. I like the idea that my mod can be revised, remixed and revived.
The OpenBOR engine is nice that games can be easily expanded and fixed by someone who just downloaded the mod that day. Everything I learn is by paxploding other people's mod and using the OpenBORstats tool.
I would be honored if someone did a remix of my work. It means they're a fan. Me doing a mod of Konami's TMNT means I am a fan of their work. We are all "hacking" other peoples work by using game sprites from our favorite nostalgic games. Just give credit where credit is due.

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 07:49:18 pm »
the term is modified not hacked, ie. modding.  Hacking would entail that we dont have access to source code or file assets and editing it through other means.

Offline Mrgrill247

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 05:21:28 pm »
As long as you give credit then it should not be a problem. 
Ninja magic. Ninjitsu-to, the ability to seem invisible to cause fear and paralisis in your enemies.

Offline bWWd

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 10:16:29 am »
There is good habit of asking first, i never said no to using some things from my mods, there was one time when someone had too old version of my mod and i wanted to give him new one and small fight started.
Hacking is ok but relasing it is different story.Imagine yourself when someone takes your creation and adds pieces that dont look good or dont match or when you changed something that you didnt liked and that person brings that thing back ?
So youre gonna hate it but it even will have your name on it as co-creator.
Its weird problem, i hacked mr q final fights many times but i would never release such hack.I would rip stuff from original final fights first .
We are taking graphics from many games so i dont blame creators of those games if they feel the same, it is cool if original creator accepts your work and appreciates amount of hours spent on it but looking for acceptance very hard doesnt work, you shouldnt look for it, if you feel you want to make mod then do it, release it and be prepared that its gonna be judged and commented if people already seen half of it somewhere else, some people dont mind using the same stages in different mods, i prefere if people would at least edit some of the stages that i edited or change spawnpoints.
This is personal preference for everyone and its gonna be different even with one person after awhile, someone might be against it now but after awhile he wouldnt mind.
It is internet so releasing something you should know that your work is gonna be cut/torn apart and edited heavily even if you dont want it at all.If you dont like that reality then dont release your stuff.
People edit mods not because they hate them, its because they like them very much.OK there is rare occasion where i need to adjust some delays but its because i feel that mod deserves better detail attention.
We take graphics from original official releases of the games, when we take graphics from modified fangames then its similar to buying someone modified car then putting a couple stickers on it, then maybe change seats and windows and considering it your own work as a whole, and people might not even like your new seats and windows but they like that stuff modified by previous owner.So by taking someone elses mod there is risk that original creator might not like it, so why dont you take stuff from official release of the game ?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:27:30 am by bWWd »

Offline Lalepili

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 09:05:38 am »
My cousin do a exelent hack ,but he could not upload here because a stupit banned him :S!

Offline salvo00786

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 11:38:19 am »
What is intended for hacking?

For me when hacking is intended cheating or training the game, is good only for personal use

but

when the author permits, all the editing for making the game better or add more stuff are good for public use

Offline StupidSnake

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 02:12:54 pm »
A problem remains: we can't modify SecurePAK files, and it's too bad we can't, most notably because some fangames contain unlockable content which can't be saved. So when you want to use a hidden character, you have to play through again and again.
But that's how the rules have been established and nothing can be done about it.

Someday, we may be granted access to SPK files.After all, as Salvo said, we do it only for our own sake, and as a means of improving the games we like.

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 02:28:20 pm »
My cousin do a exelent hack ,but he could not upload here because a stupit banned him :S!

Calling ANYONE here "stupid" is cause for instant removal. Bonus points for going after staff members - as if that would fly on any other forum, never mind ours.

Wish granted.

DC
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:33:05 pm by Damon Caskey »
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

0%

mighty
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal