Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 180
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Doom: Ultra-Violence (Official WIP)  (Read 7056 times)

Offline BeasTie

Re: Doom: Ultra-Violence (Official WIP)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 11:25:38 pm »
Fight words: thanks man, I had actually wondered whether we had walk# now, and i remembered about idle# when looking through my dott mod.  Something I should mention the OpenBor manual doesn't even have idle in it's list or the walk# so I thought they could be outdated now.

ryomaneo - yeah I think they should all fit in one game, eventually if we start hitting openbor entity limits thou we'll just have to remove bonus characters that arent needed etc.

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 11:14:56 am »
Man, you like jumping into the deep end.....

Anyhow, how write to a file (I'm using code from my MixMasters Game)......

So lets say shotgun is going to be id 2 ( getindexedvar(2) )
and Shot Gun Shells is going to be id 3 ( getindexedvar(3) )
Code: [Select]
void settingssave(int t)
{
  //V0.10
  void file = createfilestream();
  //Got a Shot Gun
    filestreamappend(file, getindexedvar(2), 1);   //the 1 at the end is nb to make sure it starts on the first line.
  //Shot Gun Shells
    filestreamappend(file, getindexedvar(3), 0);   //the 0 at the end must always 0 after this.
    savefilestream(file, "save.txt");
  return file;
}

and this is how to read....
Code: [Select]
void settingsload(int t)
{
  //v 1.11
  void vMatch;
  void file = openfilestream("save.txt", 1); //Must use > OpenBor v3 3600 else no work
  //If File doesn't exists then create a new one.
  if ( file == -1 ) {
    //create code to write......
  }
  setfilestreamposition(file, 0);
  //Got Shot Gun
  vMatch = getfilestreamargument(file, 0, "int");
  setindexedvar(2,vMatch);
  //Shot Gun Shells
  filestreamnextline(file);
  vMatch = getfilestreamargument(file, 0, "int");
  setindexedvar(3,vMatch);
}

This is the barebone of what you need and becarefull not to continuously read from the saved file, you  only want to read from it once.

Dude so sorry I dont know how I missed that you posted this I must of read the post below thinking it was the newest at the time.  I'll start on this asap.

Thanks heaps for all the help so far you all gave me some great starting points and good ideas as well as re-enforced that Im on the right track, (DC, blood, everyone included) I've just been busy lately so I've just been tweaking stuff and sorting sprites out when I get time.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:46:29 pm by BeasTie »

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 12:39:30 pm »
UPDATES and STATUS :
some of this was already done but now it's better.

- Opening Scene Updated (Now with images to match the story, still WIP)

- Skulls(Lost Souls) and Cacodemon added
- Getting all Doom II enemies in game
(pretty much done but Archvile will need some consideration on how im going to make him do his attacks and ressurect dead enemies)

-  several more custom enemies added

-  adding extra deaths to enemies for more gore, eg. cut in half by chainsaw, either random or based on weapon/attack.

- All music converted to .OGG, quality improved and in stereo!

- New weapons, Grenade Launcher, Flame Thrower (plus enemies will catch fire!)

-beserk mode will now have more than one punch attack, marine (will be able to do standard attack, 1, 2, 3 combo's at least) and considering possibly adding some finishers/fatalities while in beserk.

- Levels updated, missions that were still short on sections now have all the backgrounds etc. added they just need to be built.  e1m6, e1m7 and e1m8 are much larger than the others and will take a good while to get through, e1m7 will also have alternate routes that will eventually allow you to reach e1m9 the secret level if you go the right way.  Even in it's current state it takes about an hour to all the missions. Level building is slowing me down, I've gone through them countless times but I still have a lot of trouble getting things to act right.  It will be much easier once there is weapon saving as trying to get all enemies, items, weapons and decor to spawn in the right places and still have groups and waits setup is tiresome.  Im trying my best not to have enemies appear out of nowhere, but spawn enemies so they appear to be there waiting for you as opposed to walking in from offscreen. Althou most the time having them appear suddenly works because some backgrounds are detailed enough to give the illusion they came from around a corner somewhere.

- More secret Marines to be unlocked in game or some by default, playable in secret mode levels.

Game Modes planned for first Alpha release (which will most definately be next year now im afraid)

- Episode One: Knee Deep In The Dead (complete or close to)
(2-players supported to start, for weapon/item spawns)

- 'Very Happy Ammo Mode' This is the 'secret/bonus' level, all extra marines and secret chars will be playable in this mode. (there will also be a marine who starts as pistol marine wearing a backpack who can cycle through every weapon, as well as the old mod version of the doomguy who has a different playstyle) (eventually this will be every episode back to back if possible)

- Episode 2 Preview (e2m1 maybe, depends whats done)

- DOOM II Preview - (some random stages or possibly early versions or the DOOM II stages, so you can fight against doom 2 enemies that wont appear in episode one)

- Bonus levels/Survival, stages filled with many enemies,
long sets of levels, (mash ups of episode one maps and extra stages ) all chars allowed.

I cant promise I'll get the weapon/ammo saving sorted but I'd really like to have it in place before any release as it will just pull everything else together.

Stuff to do still (these will prob be on the list a while)-
*weapon/ammo saving (at least weapon saving for now)

* keys and doors (eg. player must press spacebar near door to open) saving whether or not he has the key not need for now as it is just give as a score item in a previous screen.

* HEALTH BAR - (Why does my dam health bar have blue in it but all my settings are RED in lifebars.txt ?) get numbers displayed instead.

* Archvile - He has to summon fire, but he has to trigger when and if the fire does it's 'attack' (in original doom he raised his arms and flames surrounded you and if you diddnt get out of his line of sight he claps his hands together and the fire does an 'explosion' causing large damage and knocking you back) meanwhile he runs around summoning dead enemies back from the dead (puts his hands over their corpse and you see them play their death animation backwards then they're up and running again)

* Powerups, I havent done anything about this, i got an idea but not sure if OpenBor has stuff built in to do some of this without script. I know I can at least get invincible working fine. I also have some extra Sphere's I can use for powerups that weren't in orig doom (custom sprites) maybe extra speed, power or something.
Evil/Demonic mode (fight like a monster, shoot fireballs or something, maybe transform into an imp/demon/baron whatever, well any way this last one is easy done with weapons)

* armor  / health bonuses / max health increase

* it's not important but it could be cool to implement ability to crouch and be able to walk/shoot while crouching as I have sprites for every weapon character to do this.

I know no ones probably that interested in all this but it's good for my own sake to have some notes here. :) And never know what ideas it could provoke from others.

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 11:36:42 pm »
 You know, how could I forget to ask this? where did you get sprites for this mod? I've been wondering about it since I saw shots of this mod.

I understand why level design could take long especially if there are branches. I took some time myself designing level cause I don't want to pour enemies into levels and call it a day.
 About keys and doors, ... whoa! you're adding more work for yourself! I know how to script them (pretty complex but the scripts themselves are simple) but I think you should focus on main stuff such as weapon and enemies before adding these.
 BTW I know what you mean by 'pressing space when standing in front of door to open' but who has right to open door when there are 2 players? also you should use one of the extra attack keys for this.

Archvile - He has to summon fire, but he has to trigger when and if the fire does it's 'attack' (in original doom he raised his arms and flames surrounded you and if you diddnt get out of his line of sight he claps his hands together and the fire does an 'explosion' causing large damage and knocking you back) meanwhile he runs around summoning dead enemies back from the dead (puts his hands over their corpse and you see them play their death animation backwards then they're up and running again)

Sounds easy except for the revival part. I think the latter is best replaced by summoning new enemies.

it's not important but it could be cool to implement ability to crouch and be able to walk/shoot while crouching as I have sprites for every weapon character to do this.

Crouch? why do you need to crouch?
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 01:19:43 am »
I'm an old doomer and go way back to when Doom first came out, just using some old school doom editing  tools, even some dos stuff, as originally the mod was planned for DOS I even had a little pentium one running DOS 6 to work from ;)

The door key thing wasn't going to be that complex for now, just thought could make user be able to open door rather than it automatically opening when your in that part, atm the level It would be in there's no way to go back so it assumes you have the key anyway, as far as player 2 first in gets to open it i guess :)

For other doors I have maps where doors suddenly come open and enemies run out, some stages I thought could just have option for player to be able to open some, basically hitting space triggers the door to play the opening animation if you are close enough.
Also I considered secret doors/walls to items or secret exits.

maybe in the future when I really got things going, new stages can have a real key system.

Basically laying out my plans what I think will be feasible, had this mod for years im patient enough to work on things as I get better at script. 

Weapon saving is my real priority for now, once I get my head around it, I finally noticed matman gave me the harder bits to start with, but im not sure where/how to trigger the save event for when the weapon or ammo is picked up, can items play some kind of death animation now when picked up or something? I know the loading part will have to be in level start script (forget name).  I couldn't find a recent list of what default scripts are available so unsure if there's anything new to utilize. 

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 08:16:46 pm »
Some early screens of new levels, sorry meant to put these up the other day.

E2M1

E2M2

DEAD SIMPLE (DOOM II)

edit: whoops forgot to show ya mancubus one

I'll get a video up soon once I pretty up some things.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:20:43 pm by BeasTie »

Offline MatMan

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 08:19:16 pm »
Look Forward to it Woot Woot! :cheers!:

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 08:24:24 pm »
the level design is killing me, Im at my wits end with episode one, I had it real tight once but the version was lost, either im forgetting a lot or im just remembering how annoying it is making stages in bor.
Im probably going to abandon any groups or waits in most stages or things like weapons and barrels  etc appear in at wrong times or wrong places.

Most my stages are direction left which is a bigger headache.

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 03:20:11 am »
Most my stages are direction left which is a bigger headache.

:laughing: So I'm not the only one being unorthodox here :).

Aside of direction left, what else 'hurt' you in level design process?

BTW about background, they are Doom alright but it gives impression that characters and enemies are small. Also, the red door there makes me think that enemies or boss will appear from there.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:49:30 am by Bloodbane »
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

Offline utunnels

• Developer
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 03:23:37 am »
You can mirror your panel while designing.
 :laughing:

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 08:42:41 pm »
Yes enemies will come from the doorway, they're just test levels done quick, I cant rip screens the way we used to right now, kirby2000 could run zdoom in real high res and capture them which meant they would size down nicer.  TBH thou im kinda past caring about that kind of consistency, Im not going to continue the screen shot method probably, the one with teh Mancubus in the pic was made from tiles I think it looks ok.  Thats a pretty simple one thou.

I should mention I dont use any editors Im doing this old school, so yeah I guess i should start trying obeditor or something.

I dunno maybe it's just me but level making bugs me.  I carefully set everything up, but groups/waits etc. never work how I intend.  I fkn sick of reordering **** just to make a barrel not apepar from nowhere, etc.  Sorry I cant think of  way to explain, but It's mainly trying to have things play out exact as opposed to how bor really works, where it just tries to keep enemies in the play area etc. 

I just want to create it as if they are there from level start and enemies are merely becoming hostile when approached.   I'd always planned a lot of trickery like doors etc. but half the time these things get messed up by grouping.   I have a stage where zombies with rocket launchers spawn in and appear to blow a hole in the back wall and walk from the hole, looks very cool, but sometimes when playing the map groups/waits **** it up and the explosion will spawn too far apart from the enemy.  Or doors open but nothing exits for a while.

I understand how levels work etc. Im just so sick of it, it just think it shouldnt be as much trouble to set things up.  I have a background thats 1236 pixels so when i say spawn this at 1180 it should eb exactly 1180 but I swear the game doesnt always work like that.  And I know that it's counting from screen edge not zero.

In summary I guess what im saying is levels become nit picking and tweaking coords n stuff that should be right the first time, so just the first 300pixels in a map become hours of tweaking.

EDIT: bah lol I gotta stop posting when I first wake up I just ramble.

It's not all bad Im just having to redo stuff I know I had done way better before but have lost the data, making new stages is np just trying to edit the old ones without completely starting from scratch gets futile.

When every enemy has the same names and health sometimes gets hard to find which one is the problem when everything in the level file is just named demon, imp, zombie, sargeant etc  ;)

I'll try post a video of a nicer looking level cause the new way I think is closer to scale, but you'll prob just pick me up on all the stuff I been lazy to fix :)

gotta remember this mod was mainly built before openbor so there's a lot that's being redone, i used to have 3 of every enemy to have different walks, deaths, sounds etc. a lot i've been doing is getting everything down to one entity per enemy and as few extra entities as possible. At the moment a few aren't completely resorted, like i gave them all up and down walking animations but they favour them too much and now you rarely see them use normal walk.   

Enemies looked more varies before now they all seem to walk the same way at once.

(try to upload video in next hour, kinda dont want it on youtube thou)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:45:04 pm by BeasTie »

Offline theultimatenobody

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 09:58:18 pm »
 :wow!:  This is looking really nice!  This is another great idea that is overdue to make it to OpenBOR!

Keep it up!

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 10:09:24 pm »
a little video of what you see in e2m2 screens, stuff looks better in game, screens are decieving, sprites fill more of the screen then it appears, I think as these are closer to scale for screenshot bg's.  This was just a test map I just randomly copied some enemies in from another map to test it so they spawn wierd, the second wave looked kinda cool thou =p

it's an .mp4 file zipped with 7zip (attached)

I'll post a real video soon of some more interesting gameplay of a proper stage.

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 11:04:52 pm »
 Hey, I don't use editor myself :). I have used to designing levels and characters just with notepad. Moreover, since using Windows version, I could fix levels while playing it ;). Of course, I have to replay the levels to see the changes.
 Ah, that reminds me, unload feature for models is revived. This helps modding too especially for enemies which requires time to set AI right.

I just want to create it as if they are there from level start and enemies are merely becoming hostile when approached.

If that's how you want it, then set it like that. Beat'm ups are designed to be played part by part and stage by stage. That's why we have groups and waits. However, if you want enemies to be available from start and player comes to them, there are couple set ups:

1. Every enemy must have offscreenkill set high. This is to avoid them being removed if they are offscreen too far.
2. Enemy must have some kind of wait animation so when player is far from them, they won't come at player and wait instead.
3. No group nor wait should be set. This level design scheme has finite and localized enemies that's why there's no need for grouping or wait.

If this is too confusing, you could just go with the old way i.e beat'em up style :).

Oh yes, about grouping, there are 2 tips for you (both are mentioned in BoR manual BTW):
1. Declare wait BEFORE group. If you declare in wrong order, wait might be prevented to activate because of group
2. Clear group AFTER wait is cleared. Simply set group 100 100.
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 06:50:51 pm »
yeah I considered doing the long spawns etc. I loaded the mod up in obstats and can see this will let me do the tweaking i need without having to test in game constantly.  I can visually see where problems are and I like that it's still text based too, was guessing too much when have a whole stage full of enemies called imp, zombie, demon etc. with no aliases and trying to work out which one is getting stuck on a barrel etc.

The problems I had with direction left stages is that I kept forgetting that they were going to be direction left  :blushing:

I must of used obeditor at some point for stages and it messed some things up.  I forget im working from old versions of stuff too, I keep finding problems that I thought had been fixed which leads me to believe I haven't been working from the right version all this time.

I jumped in the deep end thou by trying to rework the old mod for release, it's just not feasible.  I need to carefully take everything one by one into a new mod and worry about stages again once everything is in place.  I just wanted to give people something to replace the leaked version thats out there, as it kinda still bugs me that it's on the net at all. 

When I first came I back just picked up where I left off before I realised how much I've forgotten about working with openbor, having to reverse engineer my own work sometimes etc.
I was starting to grasp script when was last modding, surprised to find some stuff I'd done with script, thou I prob followed tutorials you guys had on the old site. 

But I think i'll take a more methodical approach now and just work on it as if it's a new project. So starting with the Doomguy im going to the default pistol guy set right then implement every other weapon after that we really want/need in the game.  Then get each enemy one by one and up to new standards and using minimal extra ents etc.

So yeah sorry if sounded like was complaining or something, just trying to show where Im at with the mod now, it's not really a big problem with stages Im just so bored of doing the first episode stuff.

The script is the thing that Im just not capable of atm, I need to go back to basics and try some stuff that will help me learn instead of just trying to tackle mod specific things straight away, I'm over thirty now and finding that learning new things isn't as easy these days  ;)  Also frustrating to relearn things.

0%

mighty
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal