Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 155
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Doom: Ultra-Violence (Official WIP)  (Read 7061 times)

Offline BeasTie

Re: Doom: Ultra-Violence (Official WIP)
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2012, 07:58:06 pm »
Just an update why nothing has happened with this...

I've been experimenting with different resolutions and ways to re size the stages, I didn't want to have to re size any original doom sprites, I have tried taking the wall/floor tiles and resizing them 75% which looks okay but quality is lost.

I really didn't want to have to lose any quality, I know that there is obvious size issues with the stages (not the ones made with screen shots from zDoom) but if you ever played original DOOM multiplayer, this is basically the same size relationship of the walls/floors to the player when playing proper DOOM (see picture below).  In single player you never see the player/doomguy sprites, only in multiplayer.

I'd wanted to keep the mod 320x240 resolution so it could be run on arcade monitors, but I may opt for 480x272 so it works on widescreen monitors, PSP etc.  I really don't like the reduced walls, but some may prefer it.  Try and get some screens to compare the different methods, but I'm going to have to make a few mod versions to accomplish this with different combinations of video resolution and sprite/image resizing.

The MOD is a total redo now, I have to decide on resolution and the method for new stages  to continue, thou I may still try to use some of the better looking old stages or even try to find a resize method that looks nicer.  I'm not worried thou as the decision to try to learn proper scripting to do this mod properly means I'll probably be working on it for a few years anyway.  It would of been cool to release the old school BOR version of the mod, but I decided it would be a slap in the face to 8 years of OpenBoR progress.

Any thoughts/suggestions/feedback about changing resolutions?
Looking the best on modern PC's running widescreen/digital monitors/tv's is now what's important I think

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2012, 06:04:58 am »
 I think one important aspect you need to consider is playing area. With 480 level width, playing area gets bigger and affect gameplay (number of enemies, shooting range, level spawns etc).

Oh when you say, redo the mod, does it include resizing sprites? if they get bigger, you might consider using wider screen.
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline MatMan

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 04:00:42 pm »
Isn't the doom 64 a higher resolution than 320, if your re-doing the game maybe using the latest doom gfx might be worth considering.

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 03:51:55 am »
@BloodBane - Yeah the main idea was to take advantage of the extra playing area and support widescreen (or wide screens have to be stretched or display black bars at screen edge)

@MatMan - Not a huge fan of Doom64, the sprites are kinda cool thou, I have all the 64 enemy sprites, I was going to use them for alternate enemies and bosses.

This is what I'm talking about resizing etc.  The levels are made from panels that are made up of the tiles from original DOOM.WAD
Most are sized 64x64 or 128x128 pixels.

320x240 - Standard tiles

320x240 - Extra tiles added to panel then resized by 50%

The second image (above) seems like the obvious choice, until you start using more details tiles. eg Below

Notice the bodies on the wall seem to small now...  testing other tiles, things like doors and other wall decoration get a bit ugly and sometimes too small.  Basically this is why I was just leaving everything as it originally was in DOOM despite the obvious aspect problems, then they can still be resized properly in the future if desired.

The other obvious solution is to resize the sprites, but after testing it seems the best ratio to match the tiles are sprites increased by 75% which are quite ugly.

The other side to this is 320x240 does not give you much room to build stages if the original tiles are going to be used, in the first picture there's just room for a wall and floor.  It works for some stage sections like hallways, but it would be pretty boring if all like this, not much room to include skies and other extra layers.

After testing a bit I think I'd like to just stay 320x240, but if I can find a good resize for the tiles I can make nicer looking stages.  The idea is to resize  and format everything the same so anything added in the future can follow the same process.

Offline MatMan

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2012, 05:39:01 pm »
I see what you mean now, good idea on resizing them as it does look better but resizing as you noticed has it own set of problems.

Not a huge fan of Doom64,
Nor was I but some of the updated monsters did look cool.

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2012, 07:37:13 pm »
Yeah I don't think I can get around it, the sprites ratio just don't match the tiles very well. 
As well as lost details some things like doors almost look too small now when resized.

The 64 sprites aren't too much bigger.

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 09:30:10 am »
Here's one of the test runs at highest resolution - 960x540,  the stage is rather crude thou, I'm still experimenting with utilizing the extra space, I need to learn the new bglayers properly, but I think I'm going to use this resolution.  Sprites are increased by 200% with photoshop.

Offline MatMan

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2012, 11:37:49 am »
Looks Killer :wow!:

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2012, 05:58:57 pm »
Could people still run the game at this resolution on PSP or WII etc ?

Offline hitmanhart

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 06:33:21 pm »
man you got the screen and people down pack
S-smart

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2012, 06:58:52 pm »
Thought I'd post here instead of making a new thread.

I was adding enemies into the new version of the mod, they were already made but have now had sprites resized and offsets etc are being redone.  The last one I added has some wierd problem, I cannot attack it at all and it's projectile cant hit me, but it's melee attack can hit me.

I can't see any problems with hitboxes or offsets (using obstats so can visually check) it's just another version of an imp so .txt almost exactly like the imp that's already in game and working fine.

Any ideas what I've done wrong?

EDIT : Solved the problem, I used OBStats to redo bboxes, I used 'Set Via Mouse' - if you draw your box from the bottom instead of from the top it puts negative values in height, example it would put -80 instead of 80.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:17:38 am by BeasTie »

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 12:53:31 pm »
E1M1 Remake (WIP)

(Click icon for Full Size Image)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:07:21 pm by BeasTie »

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 11:29:47 pm »
 Nice shots! I especially love the part when enemy comes from the poison door.

BTW I have an idea to solve spawning problem. You could use a spawnscript I made (I've posted it in scripts help section) to spawn enemies or anything which comes from door. With that spawnscript you don't have to worry about scrollpos anymore :).

OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 12:35:33 am »
Thanks Blood, they actually walk out the doors facing the screen but I diddn't manage to capture it.

I had noticed that thread, I'll look into it further for sure, I also started to test implementing random enemy spawns using your ThugU script.   Mainly been working on resizing all the enemies and adding them back into the game, fixing animation timings, updating their projectiles etc.  The aim is once I get the basic workings back in the game  I can work on the script side of things again.

Offline leprechaun

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 02:47:20 am »
have news ??

0%

mighty
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal