Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Knights & Dragons: The Endless Quest  (Read 15067 times)

Offline BeasTie

Re: Knights & Dragons: The Endless Quest - complete
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2012, 01:35:09 am »
I suspected you'd say something like that about the engine, the filesize is what I'm getting at thou anyway, in some stuff I was doing sprites had less than 10 colours, so getting rid of the old global palette made sense.  And it can be significant filesize difference,  Just going off what I saw after it did appear to improve things thou is all I'm saying.  An overall smoothness to gameplay.  Maybe doesn't matter but I thought some devices need all the memory they can get.

Good file optimization is important too I thought anyway.

Isn't PNG what's recommended ?

Sorry I'll go back to my corner  :dunce:

Offline utunnels

• Developer
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2012, 02:04:48 am »
Yeah, I get what you mean now. Though I think it is more important to optimize the game itself than the resources.

BTW, it might be not that hard to batch convert the files. But you need to double check the txt files to make sure there's no .gif anymore, except the cut scenes.

Offline darknior

« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2012, 03:47:22 am »
Very good mod.
All the praise is cut.

Here are my suggestions:
*The heroes fly too high too far when hit.
*You’d better change to another animation rather than spawn “levelup” text when level up.
*If possible please change the appearance (at least the weapon’s ) when you reach a certain level.

I'm ok with you, if possible, it can be cool to correct that.
The appearance change is a good idea, but many sprite work :(
Maybe if you don't have time, change only a little the palette ?
We go from steel to Bronze to Silver to gold ... to see our level up :p

Quote from: utunnels
The real annoyance is the default AI when there are many enemies on screen. It is too hard to block and counter.

I'm ok with you too ...
I always prefer stronger enemies, than too many enemies :p

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2012, 03:59:01 am »
I'm ok with you too ...

I second that. Stronger enemies forces different strategies and makes game more interesting if each enemy and boss require different strategy.
 Many enemies would only force specials and wide attacks :(.
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline erf_beto

« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2012, 07:02:48 am »
when i am in town i try to walk to the barrels to get more life but i end up going out the door. the collision point for the doors should be right up on them so you need to be standing directly under the archway to leave.
this will be fixed in the next release. i will eliminate the barrels, i've made that when you enter the tavern you refill the hp automatically, so you will need them no more.

I know that will make the game play faster (just go in then go out = heal!), but I think it would be thematically better if you put food items in the counter and tables, instead of potions inside barrels.

Better than getting them from trash cans, at least  ;D

Oh, and maybe give XP for listening to long dialogues ;)

Offline darknior

« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2012, 10:27:48 am »
Oh, and maybe give XP for listening to long dialogues ;)

Excellent LOL

Offline flemw1234

« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2012, 02:23:38 pm »
My question kind of got burried....

Pierwolf thanks for the ifcomplete line, but I tried changing the name "Arthur" inside the file Arthur.txt to "Crusader" saved it and now it fails to load, I figured this wasn't attached in anyway because it wasn't the actual filename that was referrenced, is there something I'm missing?

Offline MatMan

« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2012, 03:55:45 pm »
when you start a stage, the level is missing, as shown in the image below:
The best solution would be to add a onspawnscript when the character spawns the only thing that you need to change from the given code is to detect what player (p1,p2,p3,p4) is being spawn to place it in the correct location.

The other errors you mention should not happen as they don't happen to me so I might of explained something incorrectly but anyhow Please download the attachment and copy them into the script directory as this is what I use and very importantly DELETE the update.c file. Using the update.c method is very very slow (especially on console) and negates the entire reason of using settextobj function.

The way its in the attached file will only update and stay on screen (indefinitely) when you kill someone. I haven't done anything for the onspawn thing but you can check an example in mixmasters "Data\scripts\scr\gui.c".

Have you tried to replace all the drawstring in update.c with textobjs and see the differences of fps?
The first time I check on Mixmasters using only 1 player, having about 6 letters and numbers causee 5fps slowdown on my dual 3.6 intel, remember that's only with one player add another 3 then that's 20fps on a pc never mid on a console.

I wonder how much speed gain if take out drawstring.
It is big.

*The heroes fly too high too far when hit.
Having the players fly of like that gives it the old school feel.

I disagree, I would of prefered more guys as that creates more strategy and forces you to re-act/think/strategize faster. Still, I think that the balance in the stages the way pierwolf has created is great and shouldn't be changed.

Offline Pierwolf

• Pierwolf's Magic chamber of abstract theories about relativity of Karma and metempsychosis
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2012, 04:14:10 pm »
Score#.c is only triggered when your score changes.
That's why your level info doesn't show.
To fix this is easy.
Just call the script in your onspawnscript.

i've done what you say, it corrects the level not showing when you start a level, but the problem that it doesn't update the level up is still there. any clues?

oh, and in the meantime i'm fixing the dialogues as well, now you can skip them pressing the attack button. and no more potions in the taverns too, it will automatically heal when you enter.

Pierwolf thanks for the ifcomplete line, but I tried changing the name "Arthur" inside the file Arthur.txt to "Crusader" saved it and now it fails to load, I figured this wasn't attached in anyway because it wasn't the actual filename that was referrenced, is there something I'm missing?

sorry, forgot to tell you have to change the name in models.txt as well - for example:
Code: [Select]
load crusader data/chars/arthur/arthur.txt
My current project:

Knights & Dragons: The Endless Quest - COMPLETE!

Offline Pierwolf

• Pierwolf's Magic chamber of abstract theories about relativity of Karma and metempsychosis
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2012, 04:16:42 pm »
when you start a stage, the level is missing, as shown in the image below:
The best solution would be to add a onspawnscript when the character spawns the only thing that you need to change from the given code is to detect what player (p1,p2,p3,p4) is being spawn to place it in the correct location.

The other errors you mention should not happen as they don't happen to me so I might of explained something incorrectly but anyhow Please download the attachment and copy them into the script directory as this is what I use and very importantly DELETE the update.c file. Using the update.c method is very very slow (especially on console) and negates the entire reason of using settextobj function.

The way its in the attached file will only update and stay on screen (indefinitely) when you kill someone. I haven't done anything for the onspawn thing but you can check an example in mixmasters "Data\scripts\scr\gui.c".

i've tried your scripts matman, but nothing changes: it shows correctly when the player spawns, but not when it level up. it will only update the change of level when you hit something.

anyway, thank you!
My current project:

Offline flemw1234

« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2012, 04:30:10 pm »

sorry, forgot to tell you have to change the name in models.txt as well - for example:

Sorry just tried changing the header name and the models.txt load name..still didn't work  :(

Offline Pierwolf

« Reply #131 on: June 04, 2012, 04:42:35 pm »

Sorry just tried changing the header name and the models.txt load name..still didn't work  :(

oh yeah, you have to declare it even in sel01.txt and sel04.txt.

sorry, those are basic things i've done at the beginning and never touched until then.  ;)
My current project:

Offline flemw1234

« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2012, 05:46:15 pm »
Thanks...now I suppose I have to edit all the sel files to say the new name in the select screen....what font did you use?

Offline MatMan

« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2012, 06:09:14 pm »
but not when it level up

O I see what you mean, what you need todo now is to call the same method you used for the onspawn script (the one with the player detect) in your "data\scripts\levelup\lvup.c" inside the method called "void spawnLvup(void ent)" so that it forces a update on the lvl.

Offline MatMan

« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2012, 06:20:24 pm »
I just downloaded the latest version of openBor and then all those errors that you mentioned started occuring (among others).

I was using v 3672 before and there where no problems.

It seems that the latest openBor has some scripting problems as i've noticed its spawnscript doesn't activate.

0%

mighty
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal