Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 143
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: An experimental Castlevania 3 demo (and MORE!)  (Read 6527 times)

Offline DJGameFreakTheIguana

• Credit to Vyck_St.Judas, Edited by me.
Re: An experimental Castlevania 3 demo (and MORE!)
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2012, 06:35:55 am »
Just played both games. They played pretty well but I found the 16-bit one to be more enjoyable for some reason, I guess the 8-bit work doesn't cut it for me.

Anyway, nice work so far, good luck with whatever else you tend to add, I know you'll turn to something else at some point.

x)

Offline Vyck_St.Judas

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2012, 06:50:23 am »
Same in Spanish  :laughing:

flying "balls" could be added if you really really wanted them. Lol!
Es broma, De ninguna manera voy a pasar tanto tiempo dibujando un escroto volando donde quiere.
imagínate eso!  :laughing:

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2012, 07:01:09 am »
lying "balls" could be added if you really really wanted them. Lol!
Then this game will need some female characters.  ;)

x)

Offline Vyck_St.Judas

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2012, 08:18:36 am »
Bwahahahahahahah!!!  :laughing:
You're a terrible person for that DJ!  :laughing:
But, yes. there are female characters to enjoy as well.

Offline Die_In_Fire

• Where eagles dare!
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2012, 02:32:26 pm »
 :laughing: :laughing:

lol

about subweapons, what about some similar to Rondo of Blood, like the bible which makes some kind of shield and then dissipate away hurting enemies (or similar to the shields weapon on Megaman: woodman, skullman, plantman weapons...)

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2012, 05:10:52 pm »
Bwahahahahahahah!!!  :laughing:
You're a terrible person for that DJ!  :laughing:
But, yes. there are female characters to enjoy as well.
Hey, if we're going to be facing flying balls, I'd rather have a female character do it, cause thing will get a lot weirder with males characters then it should.  ;D

x)

Offline Vyck_St.Judas

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2012, 08:39:21 am »
Heh... Work, work, work...
Within the next few days I'll have a beta for you guys to try out.
1 player character only for now, as players can always be added later. Right now the enemies and bosses are much more important.

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2012, 07:08:11 am »
about subweapons, what about some similar to Rondo of Blood, like the bible which makes some kind of shield and then dissipate away hurting enemies (or similar to the shields weapon on Megaman: woodman, skullman, plantman weapons...)

Hmm... bible. I haven't made it for CV Collab yet since I don't have bible sprite yet.
 As for that shield, I've made something similar in Rainbow but for enemies instead. I think I could replicate it for weapons.
 The tough part is controlling this weapon instead of how to 'spawn' it. ah, I forgot how Megaman does it, anyways, I'm thinking the weapon is like this:
 When attack button is pressed, the shield is spawned with all of the elements. If the button is held, the shield will be attached to player, even if player is moving or jumping.
 If button is released, the shield is released and thrown forward.

Alright, I think I should explain my level design philosophy which I applied in my recent mods. Vycks has mentioned spawners which I've described a bit. Now, I spawn these spawners in certain rule: spawner is spawned at desired scrollpos and at certain scrollpos (after the previous one of course), the spawner is removed WITHOUT removing the entity it has spawned.
 The former is easily set while the latter requires little trick.
 I'll discuss this further if anyone is interested.

Another thing to mention is static shooters, I'm sure anyone who have played Contra or Castlevania, should have meet these. Static shooter as name implies, is enemy which only shoots without moving at all. The shooting direction varies from single direction only to multiple direction and targetted.
 In platformers, since killing enemies aren't necessary, these enemies can be skipped. OTOH it's troublesome having to kill every single one of these anyways.

Now, how to make something like this in OpenBoR? simple, just make enemy with nomove 1 and it has one or more attacks which shoots. But how to ensure they don't have to be killed since OpenBoR requires every enemy to be killed?
 There are 2 answers at least:
- use portal or endlevel to end level so any left enemies won't matter
- use offscreenkill so left behind enemies will be removed

Any or both will do.

I'm suggesting Vyck, Nick or anyone making CV mod to have some of these static shooters :).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 08:05:25 am by Bloodbane »
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline Vyck_St.Judas

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2012, 08:01:38 am »
The weapon would have to be bound to the character for a short time.
The bible could be done this way too i think.
a simple entity bound to the player until it dies from lifespan or is killed by an enemy. It'd basically be a sub-weapon that takes a hit for you. I'm sure I can draw an 8 bit bible.
If it seems like I'm trying to under power it I am. Every weapon so far is simple and just a little bit unique.
for example: Axes and bones have the same flight arc, but axes do more damage, while bones can pass through platforms.  Also, The difference between the standard knife and the gold one, is that standard is not subject_to_ platforms or walls, but IS removed on contact with an enemy. The gold knife is faster and can penetrate to hit multiple enemies, but is removed if it hits a wall or platform.
The stake is just like the gold knife, but it moves much more slowly than the normal knife. It can pass through enemies and walls, but has low damage. It takes 2 enemy hits to kill it though, so it's more effective as a slow moving shield type weapon. Little detail make all the difference sometimes  ;).

Offline NickyP

• You know, that guy with the pet drum?
    • Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2012, 10:19:43 am »
Since this thread has kind of become the unofficial Castlevania in BOR thread...

Yesterday, I randomly played through my Maplevania mod. It was cute to see work that I did 4 years ago, it gave me a good before-and-after picture of my progression as a BOR modder. Even though it could use some touch-ups, it was still a fun little romp.

It brought me down memory lane so much, that I hopped on the Maple simulator and started to create stuff. Unlike Maplevania, where I made original characters, I decided to create Maple versions of official Castlevania characters. This is the result:

Aren't they just precious?? You should recognize at least most of them. One day, I may up and make another Maplevania mod using these sprites. Maybe.

Offline Die_In_Fire

• Where eagles dare!
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2012, 10:38:30 am »
just... beautiful!!  :)

the only one that could be reworked is Sypha, so she could look more like on CV3, with the hood and cape, as a red mage on FF world...

to have them playable on Maplevania would be very cool!! I had fun at the time adding my characters to that mod, so I have very good memories playing Maplevania.

But if you don't add them as playables on Maplevania, maybe you could add something new to the gameplay instead?

ohh just noted the Richter you made is the one from the PSP remake instead of the SOTN one.

Offline erf_beto

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2012, 01:35:55 pm »
aawwwwn *-*
I like your original characters on Maplevania, but these are so beautiful that you must add the original CV3 characters to that mod! 
:blushing:

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2012, 04:26:02 am »
They just turned out so well! Simon and Alucard are probably my personal favorite, but I really do like all of them.

I was thinking. What if I made a new Maplevania game, and had all of them (and more?) as playable characters? Maplevania's style is simple enough that it wouldn't be too hard to add that many characters. Balance wouldn't be that much of an issue, but there is the problem of Belmonts being clones. Still, I'm sure I could put together a really enjoyable experience without losing that Maplevania charm!

Even if I didn't use them all... well, who would I use? They're all just so damn cute! They each deserve to be in!

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2012, 06:42:13 pm »
 Cute characters Nick!
 I have to check their relation to each other and special traits to know each of them. Took some time to figure out Jonathan until I realized that the girl next to her is no other than Charlotte.

Anyways, as for Maplevania, with so many characters to have, my suggestion for you is to have branching stories with their own specific characters. So even if there are similarities between each hero, it won't matter if they don't appear together in same story :).
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2012, 08:44:20 pm »
You mean to make the game in chronological order? Where the first few stages are with Trevor & co., then Simon, then Richter & co., then Alucard, then Jonathan & co., then Shanoa & co., then Soma & co.?

That sounds genius, Bloodbane! It would probably end up being an enormous mod though...and then what do I do about stories that don't have multiple characters (like Simon)? I guess I could make random knights and junk...

0%

mighty
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal