Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 20
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 1

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Golden Axe the Hackjob by DC  (Read 15397 times)

Offline Mrgrill247

Re: Thinking about Updating Golden Axe Remake for PC
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2011, 02:19:55 am »
I rather wait on the full game.  Hey, at least Heartland cares by giving hugs ;) Any screen shots of Mr. Joe Higashi?
Ninja magic. Ninjitsu-to, the ability to seem invisible to cause fear and paralisis in your enemies.

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2011, 08:28:02 am »
E. Honda clone  :laughing:

Spoiler

Lol, I forgot all about Honda! I was actually inspired by Heartland's original toss sprites. It looked to me like he was starting up a nasty bear hug hold, so I did some minor editing and now he actually does.  :)

Mechanically, it works a lot like Max Thunder from Streets of Rage. Each "hug" and the final slam does damage, and once he's got you there is no way out unless another character interferes.

Any screen shots of Mr. Joe Higashi?

That's Musashi. Higashi is SNKs infamous kickboxer.  ;)

Sorry, but aside from this screen offset demo, no Joe just yet. He works, but with a couple of exceptions only does the basics, he's using Tyris's magic as a filler, and Yamoto just follows him around without actually participating.

DC
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:31:49 am by Damon Caskey »
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2011, 04:41:42 pm »
Here's a more comprehensive preview video for Ax Battler, in HD quality. It doesn't include everything, but covers most of what I have done so far.

http://youtu.be/JossdCHwwIw

DC
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 05:02:17 pm by Damon Caskey »
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

Offline DJGameFreakTheIguana

• Credit to Vyck_St.Judas, Edited by me.
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2011, 05:09:49 pm »
Dizzam, your AX moves are a beast DC. It's almost like WWE, without the gimmicks... so then it's more like TNA.  :cheers!:

X)

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2011, 12:55:52 am »
 :wow!: The slams looks great! Even the animals could perform slams!

The custom lifebar for enemies looks cool though IMO it shouldn't be shown as soon as enemy enters the screen. It would be hard to hide enemies if their lifebar is shown before they appear.
 Speaking of lifebar, there's no lifebar for skeleton.
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline utunnels

• Developer
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2011, 01:36:28 am »
Some of the moves reminds me of those from Ninja Warriors.  ;)
Maybe some of the sprites still need to be modified to look right (mostly those various pain animations).

Can't wait to see the other characters in action.

BTW: I wonder what do you guys think about the blood sparkles, IMO they are too big for  non-fatality attacks.

Offline ARGOROK

• May the way of the hero lead you to the TRIFORCE
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2011, 01:37:35 am »
OMG  :wow!: Those slams are so beautiful, if I like this game now, IŽll love it when released, I love the way animals performs slams too, IŽll wait for this new release.  ;)

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2011, 11:09:16 am »
Dizzam, your AX moves are a beast DC. It's almost like WWE, without the gimmicks... so then it's more like TNA.  :cheers!:

LOL, thanks. I was actually worried he was getting too much like a "pro wrestler", to the point it would get silly, so I made sure to add a lot of sword moves too.

:wow!: The slams looks great! Even the animals could perform slams!

Glad you like them. The animals have a couple more then what you saw. As you can probably guess, they are unique to the animal, not the rider. IOW, the enemies can do those slams on YOU when they are riding animals, so watch out!

The custom lifebar for enemies looks cool though IMO it shouldn't be shown as soon as enemy enters the screen. It would be hard to hide enemies if their lifebar is shown before they appear.

I like having all the bars on screen, it gives a more unique flavor for the game then the "opponent bar". It also lets me add an element fro the PS2 Golden Axe, since that's where it came from. Don't worry about the bar giving enemies away; if an enemy is actually hidden (not just off-screen) or invisible (more on that later) their meter does not appear.

Speaking of lifebar, there's no lifebar for skeleton.

Skeletons are pretty much untouched from UT's remake right now, so they don't have proper icons. The life meter script is written to ignore models that are missing needed parts. When I get to the skeleton and make an icon, the script will automatically pick it up. On the other hand, I'm starting to think maybe skeletons shouldn't have their HP shown. We'll see.

Some of the moves reminds me of those from Ninja Warriors.  ;)
Maybe some of the sprites still need to be modified to look right (mostly those various pain animations).

Most of the moves I came up with myself, but you're right, the giant swing is a direct copy of the Grab+U+A move "Ninja" uses. Nice catch! Those actually are custom "thrown" sprites. I probably could make some more, but right now I think they look passable in the real thing; that video hurt the smoothness a bit. My throw system is designed specifically to allow adding more poses to the defender, so I can always come back later and do it.

Can't wait to see the other characters in action.

Hope I don't disappoint. Each character is to have their own unique set of tricks.

BTW: I wonder what do you guys think about the blood sparkles, IMO they are too big for  non-fatality attacks.

I thought that too, but after I tried them they grew on me. Also, I do in fact plan to add fatalities.

OMG  :wow!: Those slams are so beautiful, if I like this game now, IŽll love it when released, I love the way animals performs slams too, IŽll wait for this new release.  ;)

Thank you, I'll keep at it.  :cheers!:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:12:46 am by Damon Caskey »
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

Offline MatMan

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2011, 11:48:33 am »
Looking great DC.

What about your Fatal Fury Chronicles, have you decided to have a break from it?

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2011, 01:32:37 pm »
Looking great DC.

What about your Fatal Fury Chronicles, have you decided to have a break from it?

Thank you! Yes, FFC is on hold, partially because many of its inner workings are now out of date due to refinements I've made on them in GA. When GA is out, I'll go back and retro fit FFC.

DC
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

Offline utunnels

• Developer
Re: Golden Axe the Hackjob by DC
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2011, 09:55:18 pm »
LOL, thanks. I was actually worried he was getting too much like a "pro wrestler", to the point it would get silly, so I made sure to add a lot of sword moves too.
That is true.  Maybe you can limit the usage of slams within normal enemies. For bosses, you need another strategy. Otherwise it would be silly to toy the giants like dolls.

...the giant swing is a direct copy of the Grab+U+A move "Ninja" uses.

And the back-breaker.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:01:11 pm by utunnels »

Offline DJGameFreakTheIguana

• Credit to Vyck_St.Judas, Edited by me.
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2011, 11:19:27 pm »
Besides the good work you did, there's shouldn't be any shame in this. I've been a big wrestling fan since I was a kid, but WWE nowadays totally lacks quality compared to itself back in the late 90's, which is why I think TNA is better.
...... or I just like unexpected things in games. Gilius with a Stunner should be a instant kill because of that horned helmet of his.  :scared:

X)

Offline utunnels

• Developer
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2011, 11:57:13 pm »
Oh, just forgot, the water of the turtle village should be animated as well, if you can find some decent water texture.

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2011, 12:12:24 am »
That is true.  Maybe you can limit the usage of slams within normal enemies. For bosses, you need another strategy. Otherwise it would be silly to toy the giants like dolls.

I sort of already did that, but in a different way. I don't like making enemies outright immune to grab moves, but I did make it impractical to use on some of them. Bad Brothers are the best example right now. They only take 10% damage from bludgeoning attacks, including almost all throws/slams. IOW, AX can slam them around, but it won't hurt them much at all.

I should also add that in most cases, you are NOT invulnerable when using slams. Enemies can and will interrupt you, causing extra damage if they succeed. You have to decide if going for the big grab chain is a smart idea.

And the back-breaker.

Ninja has a back breaker? If he does, my copying it is a coincidence. I only remember his Giant Swing, a throw, and a kind of Atomic Drop looking move.

DC

Gilius with a Stunner should be a instant kill because of that horned helmet of his.  :scared:

LOL, it's not the WWF or anything like that in itself, I just want to make sure AX comes across as a brutal, seasoned warrior who just happens to be good at wrestling due to his training/experience; he's not a Triple H with a sword. IOW, he isn't doing something over the top like a backbreaker because it looks cool, he's doing it because he's seriously pissed off... these people killed his mother. He's not just going to kill them, he's going to make them HURT.

Side note here, seriously, WTF was Death Adder thinking? "Hey I know, I'll murder the families and best friend of a Dwarven Fighter, Barbarian hero, and Amazon Warrior. It's not like they'll do anything..." Why didn't he just go ahead and kidnap some girl with a Wrestler dad and street fighter fiance who's best friend is an effin' NINJA? How could that go wrong?

Anyway, the original Golden Axe is primitive, but was amazingly atmospheric. You really felt like it was a desperate war going on and not some random street fighting. Keeping that Conan feel is very important.

Still, you just gave me an idea. I was trying to decide on a good "close to the wall" alternate for AX's forward grab (powerbomb). Stone Cold's Mudhole Stomping would fit perfectly.

Oh, just forgot, the water of the turtle village should be animated as well, if you can find some decent water texture.

I'll be doing stage work last. I plan to re do the water and add layers as time permits.

DC
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:29:26 am by Damon Caskey »
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

Offline utunnels

• Developer
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2011, 12:43:41 am »
I sort of already did that, but in a different way. I don't like making enemies outright immune to grab moves, but I did make it impractical to use on some of them. Bad Brothers are the best example right now. They only take 10% damage from bludgeoning attacks, including almost all throws/slams. IOW, AX can slam them around, but it won't hurt them much at all.

No I don't mean immune to grab moves. But maybe there could be some tricks that slow down the moves or change the animations. For example, Ax can pick a giant, but not as fast as he does to other foes. And some slams seem disobey physical laws if the opponent is a giant (the back-breaker, for instance), that is why I say alternate animations. And that will make your 10% damage trick more reasonable, if the new animations are not as violent.

Ninja has a back breaker? If he does, my copying it is a coincidence. I only remember his Giant Swing, a throw, and a kind of Atomic Drop looking move.
Ah, that is it, Atomic Drop.  Well, my memory must have gone foggy recently.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:54:07 am by utunnels »

0%

mighty
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal