Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 156
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Dungeon Fighter Live is out; what do you think?  (Read 2420 times)

Offline NickyP

• You know, that guy with the pet drum?
    • Personal OpenBOR site.
Dungeon Fighter Live is out; what do you think?
« on: July 25, 2012, 09:05:41 am »
Dungeon Fighter Live is an Xbox 360.... "port".... of the free-to-play PC MMO, Dungeon Fighter Online. For those who bought it, what do you think?

Personally, I feel incredibly ripped off. In fact, this game reminds me why I hate digital-only games; because had this been on a disc, I'd have returned it the first thing tomorrow. I feel like I don't even need to explain in great detail why I hate this game and deeply regret buying it. But, I'll sum it all up in few short bullet points.

1. Despite costing $10, it has much, much, MUCH less content than DFO... even though DFO is free-to-play. I'm probably going to lose sleep on this part alone.

2. It has four player multiplayer for both offline and online.... but there's only three playable characters. I just.... I still can't believe that part.

3. It's a side scrolling beat em up, right? Right. Well, you wanna know how the screen scrolls in multiplayer mode? All of the players have to hug the edge of the screen in order for it scroll. I... what the.... I can't even.... what?! What?! How do you even.... what!? I don't even need to explain to you guys why that's horrendous!

So yeah. The rest of the game is just fine, but man. Do yourself a favor; don't buy it. Play a BOR mod instead. At least we know what we're doing when it comes to basic beat em up development. Seriously, if I could punch the head developer in the mouth, I would. I just can't believe that a game like this could exist in 2012. If this were an NES game, I'd forgive it. But it's 2012. You should know better.

Offline DJGameFreakTheIguana

• Credit to Vyck_St.Judas, Edited by me.
Re: Dungeon Fighter Live is out; what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:38:03 am »
Yeah, I noticed it only having 3 players, but from what you posted, I get what you mean. I was willing to forgive this since they had the gunner in there, plus, it would be better for me to play it on something other then my laptop. If anything, with all the **** they charge on their online game, these guys would have since enough to throw us some good stuff in a version of it that we have to pay-to-play.

Our loss I guess, I just picked up 4 PS2 games and a PSN card to get Gex and Def Jam Fight for New York:The Takeover for my PSvita, so I'm good on games anyway.

x)

Offline erf_beto

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 12:57:22 pm »
I downloaded the demo, because I didn't play the PC version so I had no idea what it was. I was incredibly disappointed too  :bored:

Movement seems very sloppy, like I was playing a (not very good) flash game in my browser.

I felt like I was wasting time playing this over any OpenBor mod - even though we don't have mods with that much customization (i.e. skills, equipment, quests, dialogue, etc). It's like it tries to accomplish 2 things (beat'em up and RPG) and fails at both.

And I only tried single player - I suppose finding out the "hug the edge of screen" feature would make me hate the game, as opposed to just "don't like it".

I'll definitively pass, but I may try the PC version one day, just to compare.

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:24:54 pm »
That's the irony though; the PC version is surprisingly competent. It has 9 playable characters, the gameplay is smooth and fast-paced, and the RPG aspect works. And it's free.

In the 360 version, you're limited to just 3 of those 9 characters (obvious signal towards DLC abuse), and the gameplay is slow and laggy (even when using a speed weapon). The RPG part is about the same with PC version. Just condensed for quick access.

But yeah, try the multiplayer. See how you have to run head first into the enemy (and take at least a few hits) in order to progress through the level. It's unforgivable. And did I mention that while the 3 characters do get costume changes later on, there's no recolor whatsoever? So if you played the 4-player mode, at least 2 of you will be using the exact same sprite. Now isn't that fun?

I hate this game.  :envious:

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:26:38 pm »
You guys might like this one I tried recently, I can't comment too much about it's overall content, but it was worthy of a mention on this site anyway for it's' Beat 'Em Up' style/aspects.

http://darkblood.outspark.com/

Offline zamuel

• Commercial
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 04:01:01 am »
Out of (morbid?) curiosity, how does the Live gameplay compare to the Flash demo of DFO?  I haven't played the full game but I've played the official demo.  Also, any site comments regarding whether or not the scrolling problem is a glitch?  While they should be more professional, companies often rush things out the door and patch them later.  If you're lucky, there may be enough fan outrage to get them to adjust things.  Doubtful, but possible.  I may download the demo of the Live version for the heck of it.

Personally, I feel incredibly ripped off. In fact, this game reminds me why I hate digital-only games; because had this been on a disc, I'd have returned it the first thing tomorrow.

Welcome to the wave of the future...
FOLH Progress
Primary game: Done!
Extra mode: Done!

Street Team: Reign of the Iron Dragon - http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php/topic,6240.0.html

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 05:39:11 am »
Out of (morbid?) curiosity, how does the Live gameplay compare to the Flash demo of DFO?  I haven't played the full game but I've played the official demo.  Also, any site comments regarding whether or not the scrolling problem is a glitch?  While they should be more professional, companies often rush things out the door and patch them later.  If you're lucky, there may be enough fan outrage to get them to adjust things.  Doubtful, but possible.  I may download the demo of the Live version for the heck of it.

It's been a long time since I've played the flash demo, but... compared to the PC version, your characters walking speed is so slow that there's no point in walking. To put it in BOR terms, walking speed is like 3 and running speed is like 7.

As far as the scrolling problem? The game's been out for what, a week or two now? No title update yet. Unsurprisingly, the premium shop (note, not DLC; the cash shop) has updated twice with new items for purchase.

Offline Vyck_St.Judas

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 06:08:44 am »
I concur. I have it for pc and 360. The hope was i could get my girlfriend or kid brothers into but no dice. There really is just nothing to pull them in. Nick made all the points I wanted to, so all I can do is echo that same disappointed sentiment. Steer clear. Do Not Buy. You'll regret it.

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 01:35:13 pm »
I concur. I have it for pc and 360. The hope was i could get my girlfriend or kid brothers into but no dice. There really is just nothing to pull them in. Nick made all the points I wanted to, so all I can do is echo that same disappointed sentiment. Steer clear. Do Not Buy. You'll regret it.
A bit off topic, but for your girl, might I suggest The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile? Unlike the first DW game, Dead Samurai, 2P mode is actually an option rather then having to collect something, and the Prisoner(Dishwasher's sister) is a nice addition to the game, especially with that chainsaw on her arm which can letter double as a mini gun. BTW, Moon Diver looks pretty ok, it's a 4 player 2D scroller, you don't see that too often. The only reason I haven't gotten it yet is because there's other games on my list, especially since I just got my PSVita, and found out this game shop in my town is selling a Dreamcast.

x)

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 08:25:12 pm »
BTW, Moon Diver looks pretty ok, it's a 4 player 2D scroller, you don't see that too often. The only reason I haven't gotten it yet is because there's other games on my list, especially since I just got my PSVita, and found out this game shop in my town is selling a Dreamcast.

x)

Moon Diver's an alright game, but a fair warning; it suffers from "first stage syndrome." Where the first stage (aka the trial) is the most fun part about the game, the rest being mediocre. When I bought it and played it with my brothers, the rest of the game seemed more like going through the motions and less like a fun game. It doesn't help that the soundtrack consists of like 3 songs, with the (awesome) first stage theme only playing on the first stage.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 12:08:19 am »
You don't say? About the music, the very first BGM for the game didn't seem that good to me, but the next one did. BTW Ever heard of Street Trace? Think Sonic Riders with guns. These guys ride flying skate boards and shoot at each other, unreal tournament style. There's some other good games I could call out but I can't right now. Also, I need to get back to playing Battletoads(Arcade version).

x)

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 04:52:15 am »
I posted a review for DFL on GameFAQs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/625553-dungeon-fighter-live-fall-of-hendon-myre/reviews/review-151366

I think I was being pretty fair. I probably could have elaborated on some things, but meh. It was written two days ago, and only got approved today.

Offline zamuel

• Commercial
FOLH Progress
Primary game: Done!
Extra mode: Done!

Street Team: Reign of the Iron Dragon - http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php/topic,6240.0.html

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 09:50:56 am »
I posted a review for DFL on GameFAQs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/625553-dungeon-fighter-live-fall-of-hendon-myre/reviews/review-151366

I think I was being pretty fair. I probably could have elaborated on some things, but meh. It was written two days ago, and only got approved today.
I read the whole thing Nicky, and I could see your concern. What's funny, if this were a sonic review by a sonic fan who only like the classics until colors came out, I'd take this review with a grain of salt, since things tend to be overblown whenever sonic is involved. In this case, despite not buying the game because I didn't know it was out(Too busy buying PS2 games and a PSN card anyway), I'm glad I didn't. At less this price, this game is a bigger financial ripoff then the pokemon series, you know, the series that release 2 games at once for only a few different pokemon, and all the devices you need to buy for them to experience the whole game? The thing that makes DFO worse is the fact you stated: This is a free copy with much more content on it.

BTW Nicky, I don't know if you saw my post, it was long ago, but I said if the main characters from DFO are ever ripped, I'd probably make a mod of it. However, since the enemies are ripped(I think refhot did it), I was thinking of using the Guilty Gear cast as main characters, and a unlockable set with a different story set in the Marvel Universe. Because of time constraints and other planned mods, both sets would have to be short and sweet. I would do some of the work right now if I had a partner, we need a good Guilty Gear mod anyway, or remake the last one. The Marvel bit is just my own personal kick.  ;)

x)

Offline renzen

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 02:08:51 pm »
Wow, just read your whole review, Nicky. I played a fair amount of DFO before, I really enjoyed it. Very sad to see Nexon is getting worse at its money grabbing ways. A level 20 cap?!?! I guess the biggest question is are extra levels going to be paid too (the mmo Sword2 does that, but not till way later like level 70+) ? I guess we'll all find out.

Silver lining is Zynga, one of the more famous microtransaction money-grabbing companies is seeing its stock plummet. Guess the gamers they've been converting aren't as naive as they hoped they'd be. Hopefully this shameful era of being nickel and dimed for features goes the way of old atari.

0%

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal