Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 146
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Mod idea: Lavalit Collab  (Read 31165 times)

Offline NickyP

• You know, that guy with the pet drum?
    • Personal OpenBOR site.
Mod idea: Lavalit Collab
« on: February 27, 2008, 03:55:22 pm »
This came to me the other day. There's a bunch of us modders here at lavalit, we've all shown at least one demo of our work. Sure, we might ask for help here and there, but for the most part its usually a one man show with mods. But what if we all worked on one together?

Which brings me to my idea. Why don't we all pitch in and make one big mod? Doesn't really have to have a story or be based on a certain game or something, we could just make it like a mod that we all added to.

I was thinking something along the lines of say... each person adds a character and a stage, to represent themself? Of course, if you're wondering about character limits with memory, we can always make 2 versions. Hell, then we could even make it like teams or something... make one like DC version and another Orochi version  ;D And then like you could make the bosses in one version the playables in the other version and vice-versa!

... Of course, this'll bring up problems like what palette to use, which button mapping to use (3 or 6?), what songs, scripts, etc etc etc...

Well?  ;D

Members:
Me, Nick
kungpow12345
danno
lbf
Fightn Words (resigned)

Still thinking about it:
Kbandressen
Orochi_X

Offline kungpow12345

• Developer
Re: Mod idea: Lavalit Collab
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 04:05:10 pm »
Well, if a subject for the collab mod could be picked, that for one will be incredible because I know all of our styles aren't exactly the same. Me, I like going out of the box, out of the norm, but if the goal was to make something on a certain theme, I wouldn't mind changing my ways just a bit to be a part of the team.

I think that'd be a great idea in itself. There have been some collab projects in the past, the most memorable being KingHerb and MrQ's version of Rhythm of Destruction. That was awesome.

Who knows, maybe this new collab project can happen. Long story short, if this were to occur, I'm in.  :cheers!:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 04:07:07 pm by kungpow12345 »

Offline danno

• remember...you're unique, just like everyone else
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:07:27 pm »
 I agree, I think as artists we've all got our own styles,likes and dislikes but if we can find common ground on something then definitely count me in.

Offline bWWd

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 06:45:17 pm »
i think that most of us working on our own mods (sometimes 2 at the same time)so dont have time to start another one.Its not that simple.It takes a lot of time to make a mod.Now when you have 8-32 bit mode you can take characters from any mods you like and throw them together into one.
Its nice in theory to cooperate with other modders but in practice almost always timing isnt right and we are busy with our own mods.

Offline Fightn Words

• Confectionary Country of the Nin-Nin
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:14:40 pm »
Ive thought about this idea myself. my opinion was that if all the graphics were already made, and the subject matter was a little different it might get modders interested. I also thought stand alone demos (more then one- to show off OpenBor's capabilities in different ways) instead of one giant mod. A collaboration of any kind could be interesting. Not a bad idea.

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 01:06:55 am »
 Collaboration is really great idea! I like the idea but as others have said above getting modders to unite is tough thing. Mostly because of styles. I myself prefer hard and challenging mods and don't care much about graphics. I don't think I'd work well with modders who hates hard mods.
 As for time, well it can be solved by splitting the mod and work on each part seperately by each modder.

And another tough thing is script. I really don't think entities from a mod can be used by other mods if the former use mod specific scripts.
 Hmmm... it's hard to do. We really need to unite before doing collabs.
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline Fightn Words

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 05:45:00 am »
As for time, well it can be solved by splitting the mod and work on each part seperately by each modder. And another tough thing is script. I really don't think entities from a mod can be used by other mods if the former use mod specific scripts.

Thats what I was thinking, split the dutys of each person- but some people might want to work in a different way, so keep it open.

Hmmm... it's hard to do. We really need to unite before doing collabs.

Yeah, someone would have to lead the group (even a little bit) and the project would have to be interesting enough to all involved in the first place.

Offline Crimefighters2

• Double Dragon Advance, kicks ***.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 04:25:41 am »
Well it worked really well for the Streets of Rage Remake team IIRC their mod was like the 4th most popular indy game download according to some survey?

I think a group project would be a great idea so much talent on this board.
 :cheers!:
Play Crime Busters latest version, Nightslashers X, 8man and Return of Double Dragon.

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 05:47:02 am »
 I think we modders really need to work together. I mean look at how much work is required to make good mod. We need to work on sprites, music, sound, background, scenes etc. Then we need to make powerful texts.

Well, all above can be done by one person but it will take long time. By working together, we can cut the time.

Yeah, someone would have to lead the group (even a little bit) and the project would have to be interesting enough to all involved in the first place.

Good thinking. What would the project be?
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

Offline Fightn Words

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 01:05:35 pm »
Thats the thing. Someone has to come in and direct everybody to there project. I have quite a few ideas I wouldn't mind making graphics for, but I'm working on some other non-Bor things. I wouldn't mind seeing a true run'n gun game with elements of fighting (like if you lose you're weapon), I also wouldn't mind seeing more vehicle based levels or levels that use obstacles as much as enemies.

Here was one of my ideas I mentioned before:

Project isn't dead or dying (like Duke there), but it is in limbo.

Offline NickyP

• You know, that guy with the pet drum?
    • Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 04:46:01 pm »
To be honest, the collab I was thinking of was exactly what I described in the first post: we each sumbit a character, stage/level(s), and a boss of some sort, to represent us. So it would be like a montage of mini-mods, or something. No real story or anything like that, just a mod that we all added to.

Then again, my idea might sound retarted to some of you :laughing: so I would be alright with working on a mod-mod too.

Offline Fightn Words

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 06:19:28 pm »
I don't think it sounds retarded, I just think more focus would be needed, otherwise what's the point?

I think any collaboration could be good (any idea within reason), but there has to be a unified vision- the modders have to meet in the middle somewhere, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to me. That's just my opinion.

Offline danno

• remember...you're unique, just like everyone else
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 06:34:45 pm »
 I'm into this idea, o.k here goes, I'll make the first move and upload what I've worked on so far and we can go from there. I have four stages and four characters (1 main and 3 bosses) and music also I have made myself using Reason 3. (from, Konpaku)

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 02:23:04 pm »
we each sumbit a character, stage/level(s), and a boss of some sort, to represent us. So it would be like a montage of mini-mods, or something. No real story or anything like that, just a mod that we all added to.

Well, the basic idea is good but the result might be messy. Since ppl have their own taste (and sprites too), the result mod might be compilation of sprites with various size  :wow!: .
 Even if we all agreed to use certain kind of sprites, let say Fighting games sprites only, the char might not be or should I say more likely be unbalanced. One is too strong while the others are too weak etc.

This is what unified vision is for. Unless we only want 'patchwork' mod.
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

Offline utunnels

• Developer
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 02:25:50 pm »
Pardon? But I don't get the title, what is 'Collab'?

0%

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal