Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 128
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Dragons of Rage EX  (Read 14271 times)

Offline NickyP

• You know, that guy with the pet drum?
    • Personal OpenBOR site.
Dragons of Rage EX
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:51:29 pm »
I had actually finished this a month ago, but never got around to doing the final touches until recently.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?jatmzzymemz (until I upload it here)

Original by Kingherb, permission to edit it was given to me (via PM, email, and this topic: http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php/topic,2931.0.html)

From changelist.txt:
Spoiler
The following is a list of changes from the original "Dragons of Rage", made by Kingherb. All edits by NickyP.

~General Changes~
-Added "gfxshadow" to all enemies and non-original DOR characters, to match with the DOR characters shadows.
-Added EX Mode
-Updated Character Profile animation
-Updated ending animation
-Updated logo animation
-Fixed various offset/bbox/attackbox problems
-Added seperate hitflash and sound for non-bladed attacks
-Title screen and character select screen altered
-Possibly added "fastattack 1" to some attacks, as of writing I can't remember
-Timer taken out of all levels
-Lives set to 5, credits set to 6; "noshare" and "nosame" are also enabled
-"Versusdamage" set to 0; no hurting fellow players
-"Colourselect" enabled; press up or down in the character select screen to scroll through alternative colors
-"Maxfreespecials" set to 25, to allow the new gameplay system; initial loading time increased as a result

~Characters~
-Added 2 guest characters
-Original DOR characters walking speed increased
-Original DOR characters upscaled 10% with "drawmethod" command, so now they're the same size as most enemies
-Grabs replaced with auto-attacks; characters perform their original grabattacks immediatley when they grab an opponent. Characters can still throw.
-Original BOR combo style replaced with cancel style; you do not need to land an attack to continue the string
-Characters can perform their freespecials by pressing the Special button mid-combo
-Kagetsura and Falcon's freespecial made faster
-Break away attacks (Special button) now consumes 50 mp, instead of 6 health
-"Jumpattack2" somewhat removed; continue to press the attack button in the air to use both jumpattacks

~Enemies~
-Along with items, enemies have no icons and "nolife 1" applied
-All enemies can be juggled

From readme.txt:
Spoiler
Original "Dragons of Rage" mod by Kingherb, who has given me permission to edit/update it. See changelist.txt for all changes made.

***NOTE***: Due to changes in the gameplay style, loading times have increased. Do not be surprised if it takes at least 60 seconds to load the mod after selecting it.

~Game Modes~

-Original Mode-
The original levels from Dragons of Rage, untouched.

-EX Mode-
Generally harder version of Original Mode. Enemy spawns increased significantly and boss health doubled, both to compensate for updated gameplay.

~Controls~

This mod uses typical BOR buttons: Attack1, Special, and Jump.

PSP users: Simply use the eboot I have provided in .rar. Place DORX.pak into PSP/Game/OpenBOR/Paks. Unless specified otherwise, the included PSP version of OpenBOR is the exact same as the one included in all of my completed mods.

~Movelist~

All characters use the exact same controls for their moves, though the moves they do are, of course, all different.

(Key Legend)
A - Attack button
S - Special button
J - Jump button
F - Forward on the D-Pad/Directional keys/Analog pad

AAAAA - Normal attack string
S - Break away attack; consumes 50 mp
AS/AAS/AAAS/AAAAS - Mid-combo attack; exact same as freespecial
FFA - Freespecial; same as mid-combo
JA - Jumpattack
JA(A repeated) - Multiple jumpattacks; stops moving (if jumping forward) after 1st attack

Other notes: when you grab an enemy, you will immediately perform grabattacks. Press back and Attack1 while grabbing to throw

~OpenBOR Version~
I recommend you use version 3.2252 or higher. It should work fine on all later versions as well. PSP users just use the version I have provided in the .rar

Enjoy!  :) And, tell me what you think; if it was a success, I may make EX versions of other old mods too. (with permission from their respective authors, of course!)

Offline BurnKing

Re: Dragons of Rage EX
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 01:56:04 am »
wasnt this just redone?
Fight Night Champ

Mods: BurnKingdom Chapter One
         Marvel Super Heroes
         Guardian Heroes: WarPath

WIP:   BurnKingdom Chapter Two

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 03:00:39 am »
Yeah, by MatMan. It's not my fault he got the same idea as me but released his sooner!  :laughing:

His was a bbox/attackbox/offset update with the addition of two enemies; I basically took apart and put back together all the characters, put two more for fun, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Look at the changelist in the first post!

Offline maxman

• I'm a slowpoke in speed.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 07:54:31 am »
Is this by you, Nick, or is it by MatMan? You made changes?
Dragon Duo (W.I.P./Outdated demo (2010 version)) (in progress)
Captain Commando (in progress)
Unelmia: Dreamers' Fate (collaborating with contress/taskmaster) (in progress)

Best OpenBOR mods:Spoiler
1. World Heroes Supreme Justice
2. Golden Axe Myth
3. Art of Fighting: Beats of Rage Remix III
4. A Tale of Vengeance
5. Valdivia Ransom City (demo)
6. Sega Brawlers Megamix
7. Super Fightin Spirit
8. Angel-0

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 08:01:58 am »
Is this by you, Nick, or is it by MatMan? You made changes?
:bored: This is by me. All me lol.

Offline ALUCARD2009

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 12:57:27 pm »
it is a good idea to add news in this game.i can see a better animation and better speed in your game.your adjustement offer a better gameplay.it's cool because you keep the best of this excellent mod and you give him news.you work respect the spirit of the original mod.GOOD JOB! ;)

Offline Mr.Q®

• The Godfather of Modding
    • Sing Lung Iquique
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 03:55:30 pm »
Oh lord.

Someone please open the mods of mods section in Downloada already X_X. These kind of mods should be kept for personnal usage instead of releasing them as altered versions of masterpieces from the past...What's up with that resizing, it doesn't look good (for not saying sth else)...And what about that white little barrel as playable and the other guy from NGBC, it's just like adding Robocop in a Castlevania mod, whoa that makes sense, right.

Well sorry, maybe I'm just saying too much, it's not my mod after all, but after watching things like this, and other recent "mods of mods of 2 mods together" mods, I'm securepacking my future mods, no question about it.
Q (L) Reika, and BTW, no more mr. "Nice Guy".

Offline ALUCARD2009

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 05:05:04 pm »
sorry,i understand your opinion perphaps only the moder can modify his mod because it's his propriety.but i think he wanted only to help newbie like me to show the posibilities of evolution of mod.his intention seems really to discover us once again this ancient good mod.

Offline MasterExploder

• You spin me right round, baby, right round
    • THE TWITTER!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 05:27:05 pm »
In Nicky's defense, he did get permission from Kingherb to modify his...mod.

Still, I see why you could be upset, Mr. Q. I haven't played THIS version of the mod yet, so it could be worthwhile to play. However, if projects like this become a trend, this could spell a lot of trouble for the future of the engine.

Don't get me wrong, I think unpacking and modifying existing games is the best way to learn the engine. However, to then release the games publicly, even with permission of the original author, just seems to open a new can of worms. Between mods like these, the "Blank Mod", and pre-made characters gaining more popularity, a lot of modders just don't feel the need anymore to put in the same amount of effort some of the older modders had to. Because of that, the incentive for creators to secure their paks will increase, making harder for the new modders who actually want to create great original content to learn.

Yeah, I know, I'll step off my soapbox now. I still believe, at the end of the day, that the cream always rises, and that quality original mods will get the attention they deserve over copy and paste productions. So in that respect, Mr. Q, I hope you reconsider using secure pak, as there are a lot of us who love your work and have learned so much from your mods.

Offline Mr.Q®

• The Godfather of Modding
    • Sing Lung Iquique
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 06:23:14 pm »
Still, I see why you could be upset, Mr. Q. I haven't played THIS version of the mod yet

I did.

So in that respect, Mr. Q, I hope you reconsider using secure pak, as there are a lot of us who love your work and have learned so much from your mods.

Fear not, Securepacked mods get unpacked after a yer, so it's ok anyways.

Belive me, I'm pro-unlocked mods for life (DC can confirm this more than once), but after some weeks for seeing myself how the stuff has been working, it's my final desition.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:37:02 pm by Mr.Q? »
Q (L) Reika, and BTW, no more mr. "Nice Guy".

Offline CE

• Working on Rage of the Streets v2
    • DCEvolution.net
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 06:39:18 pm »
Someone please open the mods of mods section in Downloada already X_X.

I agree that this would make sense.
http://dcemulation.org/index.php5?title=OpenBORManual

How to mod:
1 Pick an interesting game: There are plenty of 8-bit/16-bit classics waiting for a remake
2 Rip your own sprites & stages
3 Use a custom palette: http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/tutorial.htm
4 Check your offsets: http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php?topic=1099.0

Did you know?
Using void main()
{
playgif("data/my.gif", 0, -4, 1);
}

as spawnscript streams a GIF anim instead of loading it

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 06:44:32 pm »
Still, I see why you could be upset, Mr. Q. I haven't played THIS version of the mod yet, so it could be worthwhile to play. However, if projects like this become a trend, this could spell a lot of trouble for the future of the engine.

There is nothing new about this. Hacks have always been around. I'm not a fan of hacks like this because (no offense Nick), they don't add anything. I mean, if you are going to hack a mod, then I think you should really do something with it. Fix the limited gameplay, add real throws, new moves, and so on. "EX" doesn't cut it for me.

There is also nothing new about laziness. Before it was hacks and add ons, it was clones that all played EXACTLY the same. I hate them with a passion; they are still the majority of the library and give the engine a bad name. Just do a search on OpenBOR and you'll see people outside of Lavalit still think it can't do anything beyond basic Final Fight. But all that said, there is nothing to be gained enforcing some kind of no hack policy. The cream does rise.

Lastly, nobody is going to be securing anything. We've already made it clear that paks will not be secured unless it has all original work. BonusJZ's mod is being grandfathered in, and even his mod will be opened up after a year. This isn't some rule you can "break" and accept the consequences; it is a favor you have to ask for. Only OX, SX, and me have the ability to secure paks, and we aren't going to do it unless criteria is met. Otherwise, we'd be well on our way to making the same mistakes that killed the MUGEN community.

Now a separate section for housing haks? That's probably a good idea.

DC
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:47:47 pm by Damon Caskey »
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

Offline MasterExploder

• You spin me right round, baby, right round
    • THE TWITTER!
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 07:40:39 pm »
Snip

Don't get me wrong, I know that clones and cheap hack jobs compose a majority of the mods on this site, and have so for a while. It made sense when the engine was still young, but despite how large the knowledge base is here, new modders continue to produce sub-par clones. However, I'm guess I'm going to just have to live with that fact; convenience trumps everything, but the good mods will still be noticed.

I'm not for a an outright ban of modified mods, mind you: like a lot of you guys have mentioned, simply placing them in a different directory would be more than acceptable.

Oh, and that was my mistake about the Secure Pak, I had forgotten all about the policy concerning that.

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 09:06:53 pm »
I'm gone for two days and this happens? O___o...

What's up with that resizing, it doesn't look good (for not saying sth else)...And what about that white little barrel as playable and the other guy from NGBC, it's just like adding Robocop in a Castlevania mod, whoa that makes sense, right.

1. Sprites were resized to match the other sprites. Sure, because of it they look a little funny, but they match. Big whoop.

2. There's actually a story behind the reason why they're there. Originally, I was going to add Masamune and Yukimura (obviously to match the ye olde Japan theme), but I actually forgot to make them. So having completely forgotten about them, I decided to add in the other two since, honestly, I haven't used them in anything (aside from the logo) in a while. EX mode was actually planned to have cutscenes to explain why they're there but, with being busy and a hint of lazyness, that ended up being the Char Profile pages of them. If you don't like 'em, don't play as them; simple as that.

There is nothing new about this. Hacks have always been around. I'm not a fan of hacks like this because (no offense Nick), they don't add anything. I mean, if you are going to hack a mod, then I think you should really do something with it. Fix the limited gameplay, add real throws, new moves, and so on. "EX" doesn't cut it for me.

Nah, none taken. The point of this was to update an old mod, clean up the gameplay without taking away from the originals style.. that sort of thing. Like ALUCARD said in his first post, it was to spruce it up while respecting the "spirit" of the original.

Offline BurnKing

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 11:58:40 pm »
a hint of lazyness

i dont think that this could really be called laziness, you put out more mods than anybody here, if anything its just a matter of your attention being drawn in too many directions, dont get me wrong im not bashing your work, when i first joined here i rushed through my mods cause i just wanted some stuff out, but when i made marvel i rushed, i made the whole mod in 3 months and people bashed it cause it was rushed and everyone here is modding and can notice imperfections better than anybody. yeah tough crowd a bit. but that makes people make better mods.

im sure if instead of releasing like 3 mods a month you released one every 3-4 months (or even longer) and put the same time into that, that your putting in now already theyd be masterpieces.

its not laziness, you probably do more work than anybody, its just split over way too many projects. your basically a pimp of mods and id just like to see you become a one mod man  :laughing:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 12:00:15 am by BurnKing »
Fight Night Champ

Mods: BurnKingdom Chapter One
         Marvel Super Heroes
         Guardian Heroes: WarPath

WIP:   BurnKingdom Chapter Two

0%

mighty
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal