Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 128
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Poll

Review: Return of the Double Dragon

(5) Standard Setting
18 (54.5%)
(4) Excellent
12 (36.4%)
(3) Average
1 (3%)
(2) Poor
1 (3%)
(1) Pitiful
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Review: Return of the Double Dragon by Mr. Q  (Read 14890 times)

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
Re: Review: Return of the Double Dragon by Mr. Q
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2008, 09:41:16 am »
Perhaps it's non English speakers mistaking "1" as "best"?

DC
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

Offline CE

• Working on Rage of the Streets v2
    • DCEvolution.net
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 02:08:33 pm »
You are correct that, at least in Germany 1 means "Perfect" and 6 means "Nothing" in school.

However, I can't imagine someone not being able to realize why so many others voted 5 (or at least 4).
http://dcemulation.org/index.php5?title=OpenBORManual

How to mod:
1 Pick an interesting game: There are plenty of 8-bit/16-bit classics waiting for a remake
2 Rip your own sprites & stages
3 Use a custom palette: http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/tutorial.htm
4 Check your offsets: http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php?topic=1099.0

Did you know?
Using void main()
{
playgif("data/my.gif", 0, -4, 1);
}

as spawnscript streams a GIF anim instead of loading it

Offline Computica

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 02:47:04 pm »
This is the Best game I think Mr. Q has made! I grew up with Double Dragon.

Offline Legend76

• "The time is now!"
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2008, 05:24:59 pm »
This Mod is a solid effort; the moves, the sounds and the cut scenes are all very polished. Its a definite 4.5 in my book, I would only have wanted more pits or ledges to throw the bad guys in. Thanks for a great mod to play Mr. Q!

PS You can never have enough DD!
"This is who we are."

Allan.Cylakes

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2008, 10:15:12 pm »
well,although RODD has magnificent semblance,Double Dragon Extreme was better than this that I think(it's just my personal opinion.that's all.)

Offline moonmaster1

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 12:05:26 am »
I'm gonna give this game a 4 because the only problem with it is that I can only play with two players in order to get anywhere with it and the game freezes at the very and which is the most unacceptable thing to happen in a mr.Q mod.

Me: Crap! it froze...
Kyle:maybe its still loading
Me: okay when Brian gets here we'll say we beat the game but the ending wasn't good at all and duke was an alien.
Kyle:or that the game froze.
Me: >:( 

Offline Crimefighters2

• Double Dragon Advance, kicks ***.
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 03:27:32 pm »
Hey now that isn't fair you're playing it on dreamcast and it wasn't made for the dreamcast....... meh

I gave it 5/5 if I could have given it a higher rating I would have......
Play Crime Busters latest version, Nightslashers X, 8man and Return of Double Dragon.

Offline Mr.Q®

• The Godfather of Modding
    • Sing Lung Iquique
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2008, 02:27:03 pm »
I didn't realize this topic had some messages I didn't read. Sorry for bringing back this, I know it's old, but I couldn't resist.

moonmaster1 : I NEVER DID a DC port of this mod due to this exaclty, I think Utunnels did something but I never tried it, don't blame me about that.

Just watched the grades on the 1st post about the "quality" of this mod, now it's not just 1 bad grade but 1 poor and 5 pitiful. Call me paranoid, but I really feel like some people just don't like ME and MY works here, I don't know if it's a user or someone else, anyways.

I'll keep modding of course, but I refuse to release a mod here, not being reviewed like this, call me egotystical as well, I don't mind. You know I don't give a d@mn about other people's opinions about my mods 'cause they're only for me and I just share them, but you know in your deeps It's not fair having those grades and some really old mods not having a single bad grade.

If someone doesn't want me releasing this kind of garbage like RODD mod, fine, I won't. I'll release my mods in my blog, plus, if it's ok to the admins, someone could upload these ones here, but with the only condition not to get reviewed at all. I just feel it's not fair to be taken like this, after all these years developing free games for this scene wich seems so different from then.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 02:31:15 pm by Mr.Q? »
Q (L) Reika, and BTW, no more mr. "Nice Guy".

Offline cuchara

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2008, 03:07:18 pm »
AMEN BROTHER !!!!

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2008, 03:13:16 pm »
I'm very sorry you feel that way Mr. Q, and if there was a way to find out what the deal was with the 1 votes we would, but votes are anonymous.

It is certainly annoying. Why are garbage mods getting their makers pats on the back while the good stuff like this gets ignored or put down. I mean, is having more then 4 moves confusing? Perhaps it is the correct offsets; I can imagine after training ones vision to jump about that a consistent animation might be hard to follow. Or is the lack of a single 100% win strategy that works on every single enemy too frustrating? Maybe it's the proper use of palettes. Those clean sprites must hurt people's eyes after they got too used to muddled colors and random dithering.

In any case, I would implore you to stay Mr. Q. The people that actually appreciate good work like yours... those are the ones that are here, active, and looking for your next big thing. Hey, you know how picky I am, and I've always been a fan of your modules. It's the jealous wannabees and random idiots that are hitting the 1 vote. Don't let someone who's rating of your work surpasses their own IQ get you discouraged. They know absolutely nothing, and they mean even less.

And if this makes some of you who hit that 1 button angry? Well, too bad. Try actually explaining yourself; you know, put up or shut up. I've given a 1 vote before, but not without providing a clear reason as to why and what could be done to fix things. Why won't you? Are you too lazy? Perhaps it's because you can't express yourself without flaming or putting people down from the safety of a keyboard. Either way, why should anyone care what you think, or more accurately, don't think?

DC

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:45:22 pm by Damon Caskey »
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

Offline Hanzo

• One for Da Hood
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2008, 03:37:13 pm »
Pretty much the reason why people have no COMMON SENSE!!!!! I mean come on! I'm sick to my stomach that some people can't appreciated fine work; Mr.Q I admired and enjoy your work for about 3-4 years since the Gamikaze era when you first released Hyper Final Fight series. And since then your work inspire new modders like DC Pierwolf and another whose making a Rushing Beat mod, but you're right on one point on one thing though is that you take your spare time of making your mods and share it with us the public. I won't say you need to stay on Lavalit but its your decision so I can't argue with that.

Another thing is that are some members (won't mention names here) are dropping 1 votes on the Utunnels' Golden Axe mod so I don't what's going on with these people but they need to have some sort of decent logic and compare on some their of early mods that were released and do a subjective comparison.

Keepin it Old School

Offline CE

• DCEvolution.net
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2008, 04:40:04 pm »
well,although RODD has magnificent semblance,Double Dragon Extreme was better than this that I think(it's just my personal opinion.that's all.)

Double Dragon Extreme is an insane masterpiece, no doubt. - Still, although it might be possible that RODD pales in comparision with DDE for some die-hard Double Dragon fans, it actually is the first Double Dragon game ever that I really enjoy playing! The gameplay is just smooth, being able to run adds a lot dynamic to the game... - and in combination with the colorful stages from the SNES game, the detailed character sprites from GBA - It's just great!  :cheers!:

Regarding the voters which gave you a "1"

a) It's possible they don't know which Double Dragon game RODD actually is, which would be my #1 explanation.

b) http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php?topic=2112.0 - just because someone doesn't like your mods, it doesn't mean that he's the majority. If that someone would login with different accounts and votes 1 again and again, we have no way to keep track of this.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 04:50:46 pm by CE »

How to mod:
1 Pick an interesting game: There are plenty of 8-bit/16-bit classics waiting for a remake

Did you know?
Using void main()
{
}

Offline kbandressen

• Developer
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »
It's just the nature of the internet.  If there is an opportunity to be an anonymous *******, the internet will take it.  It's nothing to get worked up about; on the contrary, that's what they want you to do.  Seriously, the only reviews that matter are the ones that actually give some insight as to why they give that grade.

Offline CE

• DCEvolution.net
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2008, 04:54:00 pm »
5x 1 is just ridiculous, especially considering that there's no explanation whatsoever. I've reset the vote count to allow our users to give this gem a fair treatment.

I voted 5/5 because the standard it sets is its concept: It uses a unique combination of SNES and GBA graphics, something that hasn't been done before.

The game itself could only be improved by tracking down a better copy of the Arranged Soundtrack CD, and god knows we tried (we = Q, Slybeast, and me).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 05:00:46 pm by CE »

How to mod:

Did you know?
Using void main()
{
}

Offline Damon Caskey

• The Gorge
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2008, 05:01:16 pm »
+1 Excellent.

Since I uhm, did kinda write the original review, I don't think I need to explain again.  ;)

The point was anyway, a 1 vote is fine... if you can back it up. Oh, and "because I don't like it and it sucks" is not backing up a vote. The catch on this module is sometimes, quality is just quality. I seriously doubt anyone can vote a 1 with a straight face and provide any sort of logical explanation.

DC
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 05:04:34 pm by Damon Caskey »
OpenBOR Wiki.

Coming Soon:
Spoiler
Fatal Fury Chronicals

0%

mighty
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal