Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 165
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Dragons of Rage EX  (Read 14272 times)

Offline NickyP

• You know, that guy with the pet drum?
    • Personal OpenBOR site.
Re: Dragons of Rage EX
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 12:05:24 am »
Y'know it's funny you say that, because I was actually planning on releasing a completely new demo like tomorrow...  :laughing:

Offline DJGameFreakTheIguana

• Credit to Vyck_St.Judas, Edited by me.
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 12:16:12 am »
lol Nicky, Keep it up son. :laughing:
I'll check this out soon, I still didn't even get the chance to finish Maplevania.

Offline CE

• Working on Rage of the Streets v2
    • DCEvolution.net
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 08:52:25 am »
I agree with BurnKing: You do release way to much unfinished mods and demos. Your (and our) time would be better spent if you would focus on one mod and put some effort into it, NickyP.

And resizing characters without redrawing/editing them is a big nono in 2D graphics.

PS: I forgot that we already had a section for hacked mods called "Variants". I renamed it to "Variants / Hacks".
http://dcemulation.org/index.php5?title=OpenBORManual

How to mod:
1 Pick an interesting game: There are plenty of 8-bit/16-bit classics waiting for a remake
2 Rip your own sprites & stages
3 Use a custom palette: http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/tutorial.htm
4 Check your offsets: http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php?topic=1099.0

Did you know?
Using void main()
{
playgif("data/my.gif", 0, -4, 1);
}

as spawnscript streams a GIF anim instead of loading it

Offline Mr.Q®

• The Godfather of Modding
    • Sing Lung Iquique
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 09:37:29 am »
1. Sprites were resized to match the other sprites. Sure, because of it they look a little funny, but they match. Big whoop.

Belive me, they just look horrible:

a hint of lazyness

Oh Yes:

That new "EX" label doesn't macth the original DOR at all! Try messing around with Photoshop blending options for layers.

it was to spruce it up while respecting the "spirit" of the original.

Man, those characters speed is just like playing those badly hacked SNK ROMs all around the internet, yes, those "plus" labelled ones...It's funny, since it's an SNK based mod, but belive me these changes are just silly.

I remember I was almost going to bash that guy who merged bWWd's BToads, and Hungryman's and my DDragon mods into one, but after all, he even did more work than this, in a way, and they guy did feel bad about what he did, but I encouraged him to do better 'cause I know I he can.

If you're going to upgrade an old mod and have plans for a re-release, do it right. It doesn't matter if the author gave you authorization or not whatsoever, it's just new people can take the "upgraded" mod as a new standard, and this "EX" or "Extreme Xeaply" done version is not a good example for what new people can achieve with OpenBoR whatsoever...Even the original DOR release using original BoR is a better example.

Just re-think on what I've just said, don't take it as a free bash.

Q (L) Reika, and BTW, no more mr. "Nice Guy".

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 01:26:22 pm »
Your (and our) time would be better spent if you would focus on one mod and put some effort into it, NickyP.

So, my work: A) has no effort whatsoever and B) is a waste of both of our times. That's nice, CE.  :)

Offline BurnKing

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 07:23:09 pm »
come on nick, you know hes not saying that, hes saying your mods would only get better by putting more time to them.

The same thing was said to me when i released marvel rushed, you cant take it personally all he wants is the best possible mod to come out of you.
Fight Night Champ

Mods: BurnKingdom Chapter One
         Marvel Super Heroes
         Guardian Heroes: WarPath

WIP:   BurnKingdom Chapter Two

Offline CE

• Working on Rage of the Streets v2
    • DCEvolution.net
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 12:04:01 pm »
So, my work: A) has no effort whatsoever and B) is a waste of both of our times. That's nice, CE.  :)

Sorry, but what I actually meant was that I honestly would prefer to play just one mod that you made but put even more time and effort into, rather than having you split your time across half a dozen of projects and then expect us to appreciate those as much as we would if you had spent the same time with that one project.

- You know how that saying goes: The basic work, 90% of the entire program, requires 90% of the time spent on developing, while the remaining 10%, the icing on the cake, require yet another 90%.

:power_nap:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:09:09 pm by CE »
http://dcemulation.org/index.php5?title=OpenBORManual

How to mod:
1 Pick an interesting game: There are plenty of 8-bit/16-bit classics waiting for a remake
2 Rip your own sprites & stages
3 Use a custom palette: http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/tutorial.htm
4 Check your offsets: http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php?topic=1099.0

Did you know?
Using void main()
{
playgif("data/my.gif", 0, -4, 1);
}

as spawnscript streams a GIF anim instead of loading it

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 01:35:45 pm »
Point taken. Admittedly, I initially took that as a personal attack.

However, I'd like to point something out. I don't mod for appreciation or popularity or anything like that. I mod for myself, and make things that I myself would like to play. I also constantly look for different games/themes that otherwise no one would think could be a beat em up (example) and also try to make different gameplay styles (example). My multiple demos are just a product of that. And regardless of whatever your (you in general) standard of "effort" is; I put alot of thought and planning into these and seldom do I just "slap things together" as I have when I first started. And I am overall very happy with results thus far.  

Offline Phemt

• Never said You suck, but could say your game does
    • Phemt's lair
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 08:19:38 am »
Point taken. Admittedly, I initially took that as a personal attack.

I think I see what Mr Q and CE are trying to say; "too bad! If he would, he could do some amazing mods with his skills!"

In these cases it is wrong to take it personally, cause they are actually trying to help you improving your work.

However, I'd like to point something out. I don't mod for appreciation or popularity or anything like that. I mod for myself, and make things that I myself would like to play.

That is the best starting point to create anything, but when your creation begins to have form, it could be wise to check out what others think about your work. With some little and easy corrections(talking in general) your taste could meet the others'... don't you think?

And i don't believe you! If you were making mods only for yourself, you wouldn't upload them here. I know that others' appreciation is always welcome, maybe is secondary in your case.

And regardless of whatever your (you in general) standard of "effort" is; I put alot of thought and planning into these and seldom do I just "slap things together" as I have when I first started. And I am overall very happy with results thus far.  

Effort is necessary, if no efforts are putted into it, if anyone download it, if anyone is interested about that, why upload it? Think about it  ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:34:52 am by Phemt »
Best OpenBOR games:
Spoiler
1) Art Of Fighting - Beats Of Rage: Remix III
2) Night Slashers X
3) A Tale Of Vengeance
4) Infection (DEMO!!!)
5) Saint Seiya: Death & Rebirth
6) Captain Commando & the Avengers
7) Vampire Hunter (DEMO!!!)
just like Don that crazy pig from guangzhou China.
ore ga kowaii no ka?

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 01:30:51 am »
I think I see what BloodBane and CE are trying to say; "too bad! If he would, he could do some amazing mods with his skills!"

Huh? when did I say that? I haven't even posted in this thread.
 I know nothing of this mod aside of what others said.

I also constantly look for different games/themes that otherwise no one would think could be a beat em up (example) and also try to make different gameplay styles (example). My multiple demos are just a product of that. And regardless of whatever your (you in general) standard of "effort" is; I put alot of thought and planning into these and seldom do I just "slap things together" as I have when I first started. And I am overall very happy with results thus far. 

Yeah, I can see that in Megaman mod. Although I feel like scripts are required to perfecten that mod, what he did in that mod is impressive enough. I can see what Nick means with different gameplay.
 I can't say anything about Maplevania cause I just DL-ed today.
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline Mr.Q®

• The Godfather of Modding
    • Sing Lung Iquique
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 08:49:21 am »
To take things personnal in forums...Welcome to the internet.

I wouldn't make my comments if this mod was made by you from the scratch, it's just that it was already done, and belive me, some "fixes" were so unnecessary, like resizing the playable chars (man they just look like they're fish in an acuarium) among other stuff.

Modding for oneself is the best path, just be careful on what you "edit" or "fix" and eventaully release, 'cause you're altering something that is already "perfect" as it is, according to the mod age & knowledge.

And i don't believe you! If you were making mods only for yourself, you wouldn't upload them here. I know that others' appreciation is always welcome, maybe is secondary in your case.

I think he means he does his mods according to his tastes. I also mod for myself, but I do my mods from the scratch, I don't "fix" other people's mod.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:55:45 am by Mr.Q? »
Q (L) Reika, and BTW, no more mr. "Nice Guy".

Offline Vyck_St.Judas

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 09:48:38 am »
Wowsers :wow!:
i was'nt invited to this conversation but I'll chime in anyway.
the original DOR was great fun, but there are so many new features now that would be awesome to play with in that world. i think nicky did a good thing. And he went about it the right way. It's definitely more playable than some other stuff that been released here. Good work Nicky. thank you.
 On the other hand, If you put all that extra effort into one mod, say that Phantasy Star one...
I'd probably touch myself at night to it. Just sayin...

Offline NickyP

• Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 12:21:25 pm »
I also mod for myself, but I do my mods from the scratch, I don't "fix" other people's mod.

Neither do I. It's the first time I've ever done such a thing.

Offline Kolbek

• Look up. Yep, thats my oil painting. :)
    • The Artwork of John Kolbek
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 01:55:05 am »
Ooooh ok my turn, my turn!!!
Ok, we all like to mod right? We all get the chance to live the dream and create some cool games right?

Well, I guess I view modding allot like art.  Heres the way I see it...
If I made a painting, which I felt was perfect... (which is rare) and I posted it for all to see. Criticism is one thing, but when some one says...nah...I think kolbeks painting needs more green instead of red, let me just repost it here... "ok NOW its perfect", is kinda a slap in the face to the artist or creator of the work originally.
Certain wars in the past have left some great masters works in ruins, or damaged in some way. The question was asked, do we fix them? Do we restore them with new paint? People felt the answer should be "No". It will never truely be the true artists hand that touched up the painting, so leave it alone.

On a technical stand point however....
in order to learn how to paint like your favorite artist, you must "paint like them"....basically study their work and see how they put it together. After that, you learn how to improve it or make it grow so to speak, then progress it to the point where you have now evolved it or broken it down to a more simplistic form. Either way, make it your own.  Its much harder then it sounds...

You know NickyP... I had a point to all this... but sonofa... I have no friggen clue what the hell I was trying to say!!! What the hell am I trying to say?! 

I dont know...if you just read what i wrote maybe I made a point, I dont know if I did.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:58:37 am by Kolbek »
Cartoon Hell!!!

Offline BurnKing

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 02:12:05 am »
Enjoy!  :) And, tell me what you think; if it was a success, I may make EX versions of other old mods too.

hacks are a great way to learn, but your a hero member, perhaps its best to just keep to making your own mods

i actually played this to see what the fuss was about, and yea the redrawing does look like theyre in a aquarium, parts of them get bigger and smaller a bunch, and the addition of nick and dum dum seem out of place.. its sorta like nick and dum dum do dragons of rage... i played as the drum and hes pretty much invincible... i mean its not terrible but its also not something im likely to play again.

then again i imagine part of the harshness in this topic is also related to the point that we got a remade version of this game like a week ago by matman, which was much truer to the source then messing with redraw and adding nick and dum dum.  :crap_n_fan:

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 02:14:46 am by BurnKing »
Fight Night Champ

Mods: BurnKingdom Chapter One
         Marvel Super Heroes
         Guardian Heroes: WarPath

WIP:   BurnKingdom Chapter Two

0%

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal