Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 131
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Contra: Locked 'N' Loaded  (Read 16471 times)

Offline mgman

Re: Contra: Locked 'N' Loaded
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 11:49:31 pm »
Good stuff, Bloodbane :) I can adapt to the slide (more challenge!). As for the smart bomb, yes even Contra 4 style bombs are great to go with. Also the barrier could come in handy (not to mention a nod to the classics).

As for the character select thing, you could perhaps implement the names into like a name plate or something below the sprites? That way, you don't need extra sprites, just some sort of menu function which indicates the name... Yeah I'm not an expert on this XD But if you can, that would be awesome :)

Maybe you could implement the Contra code in there. Or at least something as a cheat code. There hasn't been a Contra game without some type of cheat code! Not just for the sake of giving newbies a shot, but to follow the tradition, hehe.

Finally, I would REALLY love to help you fix the language in the texts. There are spelling, grammar, etc. mistakes I could definitely help. (and I'll remember things like "and" should be 'n' :P).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:54:18 pm by mgman »

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 12:03:59 am »
 OpenBoR crashed if player spawns something during select screen, that's why I can't use seperate text entity. Not to mention I have to make sure the text disappears when character is changed.

Thanks for the help offer, I could use some help with grammar. But other than that, I'd like to ask your opinion about the mission briefing. Okay, I'm too lazy to give extra frames to animate the.... screen, but about the Chief's speech. Do you think it's good enough? I never pay attention on how a chief or military officers speaks so I don't know if that's how he should speak.

Oh yes, that reminds me. Actually, I need mission ideas more than that. Mission ideas is more than just generic idea, it should cover level and stage details (background requirements), platform setting, enemy placement, level mechanics such as traps etc. No top up levels though.
Of course, I need enemy sprites too if it uses new enemies.
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline Yagami Brando

• http://www.youtube.com/user/YagamiRus
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 06:00:30 am »
OMG, thanks for the release Bloodbane, as a diehard contra fanboy I'm sure trying this out  :cheers!: Feedback later :)
By the way about the remake you are planning - do you want to remake the game itself, so there will be new levels etc. or it will just affect compatibility issues?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 06:04:58 am by Yagami Brando »
"In a battle, there is no such word as under-handed."

Offline Vyck_St.Judas

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 10:41:07 am »
Hey all! On a side note, which openbor build is this?
I'd like to play it on my way to work but i the only way i can do that is on psp.
Any ideas guys?

EDIT:
Nevermind, It's v3.0 Build 2322. lets see if i can get it working.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:46:23 am by Vyck_St.Judas »

Offline Mr.Q®

• The Godfather of Modding
    • Sing Lung Iquique
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 12:37:03 pm »
Just tried this. It's an awesome piece of work no doubt, congratulations!

I won't find myself playing it to much, though, no offense, it's just I find it too difficult for something that should be a little more accesible:

Grenade x 3 soldier was too much.
Grenades fall too fast.
Enemy bullets should be a little slower.
Hard to memorize enemy spanws in the 1st level.
Level 2 easier than Level 1.
Too hard overall.

I can't imagine the mayhem that should be on 2players game, but I think maybe it's just me and it's not that difficult. BTW Why always chosing Genesis/Megadrive soundtracks? It's just a matter of personal tatse or something else? Just asking.

Anyways, great mod and good luck in your next project.
Q (L) Reika, and BTW, no more mr. "Nice Guy".

Offline mgman

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 01:41:51 pm »
Yes, grenades should fall a bit slower, bullets a bit slower and enemies should move at the same speed they do in Contra III (the running troops).

I have an excellent list of level ideas. Somebody was in the works of creating a homebrew DS Contra fan game based on Contra 4. We collaborated a list of level ideas and such. Of course, that project never actually went anywhere as the guy disappeared after a forum went down.

I'll give you ideas when I reach home...

Offline ARGOROK

• May the way of the hero lead you to the TRIFORCE
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 07:25:16 pm »
I can?t find OpenBor V3.0 Build 2322 normal version, there is only secure pak edition but it don?t work with this splendid MOD so I can?t play it on PSP, anyway thank you very much for the upload and for as always your great work Bloodbane

Offline mgman

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 08:08:48 pm »
Here are preliminary level ideas that I will get into more detail when I get time:

-Forest (a specific kind, with a specific layout in mind.). Alternatively:

-An insertion into a jungle: You start off going across a small waterbed (whichever way: with the jetbike or underwater segment or even by running through a shallow end) until you reach a very small island. A boss battle happens right on that tiny island. Then you continue across the water a little bit until you reach a shore right in front of a jungle. The jungle will ultimately have the player either take the upper or lower path (still on the same screen) which affects how he must navigate across the level.

-A swamp of sorts. Is it possible to have the player slowly sink to mud/quicksand? And perhaps some enemies popping out of the mud... and from trees.

-An enemy base of sorts, which mostly features human enemies and some mechanic enemies, like bots vehicles and mechs. (as a reference to the non-alien Contra Force). You can call it Enemy HQ or something...

-A level INSIDE a giant alien (like Contra 4!).

-A level inside a hospital/morgue which has been taken over (or a combination of both!). Or 1 level for each. Has elevator sequences.

-A fight takin place entirely in the air. The player alternates from hanging on the craft's rail (or missile), standing atop the craft and also navigating across missiles (like Contra III).

-Enemy territory in the open. This level can feature defense setups and traps, like landmines, mobile turrets, etc.

-An entire level focusing on a giant, segment-based boss. This could be like a pre-final level stage or something (or even final stage of the mission).

-A stage exclusively in the desert.

-A level entirely involving the descent or ascent of a mountain/hill (or a combo of both). Or two separate levels which are ascending one side of the mountain and the other the descending of another face of that mountain.

-A level entirely in caves.

-A level in some infested sewers.

Again these are just preliminary ideas for levels. When I get more time, I could just as well create some basic diagrams on how the level could be structured and look...

Offline mgman

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 08:12:32 pm »
BTW, is it possible to implement aim locking? This is where the character is locks aiming his gun in one of the 8 directions and being able to run forward and backwards. This is just like in Shattere Soldier (holding L2 locks the player's aim in his current direction).

This really helps in many of the situations...

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 12:49:20 am »
I won't find myself playing it to much, though, no offense, it's just I find it too difficult for something that should be a little more accesible:

Grenade x 3 soldier was too much.
Grenades fall too fast.
Enemy bullets should be a little slower.
Hard to memorize enemy spanws in the 1st level.
Level 2 easier than Level 1.
Too hard overall.

You simply have to practice more. Even I got hit couple times when playing the mod for 1st time but after some times, I get used to it.
 I just tried to make grenades fall slower and they do. Ah well, I'll implement this in remake then.
 I have slowed some enemy bullets but not all of them cause the ones without targetting should move with decent speed.
 I can see why stage 2 easier than stage 1, it's simply shorter ;D.

BTW Why always chosing Genesis/Megadrive soundtracks? It's just a matter of personal tatse or something else? Just asking.

Contra Hardcorps have great soundtracks, it has more than 1 boss music theme allowing me to give various music for each boss and subboss. Shattered Soldier also have more soundtracks but most of them don't fit the mod (and my taste too). Still, Shattered Soldier, is the 2nd soundtrack contributor for this mod :).
 Contra Rebirth's soundtracks are great, better than Shattered Soldier however they are only few of them. Some of them are featured in this mod but not on early stages.

By the way about the remake you are planning - do you want to remake the game itself, so there will be new levels etc. or it will just affect compatibility issues?

The former. I'd like to fix control issues too. And I'm also designing 3rd mission which is still in infant stage. I want to fix the control issue with current version but I feel like I'm going to split my head so I decided to start from not-so-scratch. Just for players though, enemies and platforms are most likely be same so I should be able to use same materials.

To tell the truth, I have lots of stuff I'd like to make such as new weapons, new missions and new soldiers but I have to focus. So much to do so little time.... :laughing:

but it don?t work with this splendid MOD so I can?t play it on PSP,

.... why I get this de ja vu? :(
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 01:00:24 am by Bloodbane »
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline badjab326

• SoR
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 11:37:58 am »
I'll be trying this mod soon. Also looking forward to the remake already... btw I hate to be a pest, but Ray is my favorite Contra character of all time, any chance he'll be making an appearance in your remake? If not it's perfectly understandable ;)

Offline Mr.Q®

• The Godfather of Modding
    • Sing Lung Iquique
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 01:16:13 pm »
About Contra Rebirth OST, try getting the official OSt and not just a game rip. The original OST has got some extra remixes, and since they sound like old Konami music, maybe yopu can mix them with som eof the arcade games ones as well.
Q (L) Reika, and BTW, no more mr. "Nice Guy".

Offline DJGameFreakTheIguana

• Credit to Vyck_St.Judas, Edited by me.
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2010, 05:05:49 pm »
Yo Bloddbane, congrats on releasing this mod man! I tried it earlier today and even though it's done very well, it's also hard as hell. The main part that gets me is that I have to press the attack button about 2 or 3 time before I can shoot anything, and moving causing the shooting to stop is no help either. When I play it again, I'll try learning it more so i can try getting past the first boss on the low road.
 The one big plus about this mod though, is that my boy Fang is playable in it.  ;D

EDIT: BTW, you must have disabled saving, because I couldn't load my game back up after game over.

X)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 05:08:05 pm by DJGameFreakTheIguana »

Offline mgman

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2010, 05:28:34 pm »
Are you using a gamepad directly? That's probably the main issue. Don't use a gamepad directly. Disable it and instead use it through Joy2Key.

Offline cuchara

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 06:07:23 pm »
Yeah man !! awesome game and an extremely good music selection, thanks for make this mod man !!!

0%

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal