Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 117
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: The Simpsons  (Read 4783 times)

Offline Liu-Kang

Re: The Simpsons
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 05:59:22 pm »
 :laughing: Bender's in this game!? I thought this was a Simpsons Beat em up...

Offline nsw25

• My latest films official facebook page
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 06:00:41 pm »
Very good idea to use these different sprites.
Is Warner from mugen) aware of this project?

Also, I hope you'll have some big ennemies to be used with these big homer sprites.
Good luck.

Very promising.

Nah not yet, i mean does everyone who make a MUGEN game have to let each creator know ? Dont the animators put there works out there to be shared by community ?

Im going to give him a special thanks for the animations in the credits or something and i do want to email him a copy of it once ive got a demo sorted so he can see what im doing :)

its turning out pretty good, simpsons is such an extensive universe so i want to add little things here and there (like change barrels to 'little lisas slurry' ones)
My current project: Simpsons treehouse of horror
My very first mod: Evil dead 2 redux

Offline nsw25

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 06:04:15 pm »
:laughing: Bender's in this game!? I thought this was a Simpsons Beat em up...

its going to feature simpsons, futurama and even family guy characters (so i can get enough similar styled sprites and characters to make game interesting)

story i have in my head at the moment will be a treehouse of horror style where aliens plan a takeover of springfield and they along with there 'futuristic' robots will be main goons, but it starts to be revealed the cast of Family guy are behind the invasion so they can be the top dogs of the animation sitcom.

will need help making levels and scripting etc so if anyone wants to be a part of this itll be great.

Offline nsw25

Re: New game project: The Simpsosns
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 06:07:09 pm »
Hey can you help me out and look at the level file above, im doing something wrong cos enemies come in huge swarms and level doesnt move forward sometimes and other times lets me run across whole level before stopping and making me fight waves..

From what I'm seeing you're making one little noob mistake (which I made years ago); you aren't using waits, and when you do, they aren't in pairs. The wait command in a level should be used like so..

wait
at 400

spawn dude
coords 100 100
at 400

wait
at 400

When you put the same wait at the beginning and end of an enemy group, that's how the engine splits it up into segments.

Also, your enemy placement is way off. You had enemies placed at 0 after spawning enemies at 200... something which throws the engine way out of whack. In fact, you seem to do that all over the place in the level... Remember that the at command in levels is supposed to be the point in the stage at which the player will be. Enemies spawned at 400 will come on the screen when the player walks 400 pixels forward from the starting point. If you want enemies to be placed towards the edge of the screen or so, you do that with the coords command, not the at command.

I've fixed your level01.txt and attached it, take a look to see if you understand the difference. Note that I didn't change the coords, just the waits and ats.

gotcha now, thanks so much for showing and explaining this ! i really appreciate you taking the time.  :cheers!:

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 01:23:04 am »
 nsw25, I think it's time for you to be more efficient with your post. Try just quoting the lines you need or better, don't quote at all if you only want to reply to someone.

If your post is intended for someone, you can just mention his/her name here so it's clear who you are referring.

Anyways, back to topic, I have to agree with NickyP the level you make is just messy. I am guessing you copied from another mod before editing.
 NickyP has done good work fixing it though he's missing one important technique: reset grouping by setting group 100 100
 This is mentioned in old BoR manual.

If you prefer to spawn enemies like NickyP usually does in his mods, then you don't need that but if you don't prefer that, you will need that.

Another thing, pay attention to where enemy is spawned.
 This is clearly bad spawn:

spawn tsu
coords   2670 289
at   0

This spawn means Tsu is spawned 2670 pixels to the right when level starts. Think simple, Tsu has to walk long way to reach player while its friend is spawned closer.
 Worse, offscreenkill removes Tsu before it has chance to think.

So when designing level, you only need to think simple, where enemy/obstacle/anything should be placed? is it to the left of screen or right?
 If left, spawn it with negative x coords, if right, spawn it with positive x coords + screen width.

What about at? this command has nothing to do with coords. It simply defines when enemy/obstacle/anything will be spawned. Most of at setting is art so there are no rule for this at all.

Now, you can try make your own level with this :).

As for level design help, sorry I can't help without background reference.
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline nsw25

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 08:06:14 am »
Hey guys heres what im working on so far (dont mind the intros and select screens etc thats all temp for now)

http://www.4shared.com/file/XmWsFoxl/My_Mod.html

let me know what you think of enemies and players and what i can do to fix up levels and stuff in general (ape boss is temp and will be in a later level and level 2 will have vampire mr burns as boss)

the playable characters will be unlocked as you progress through game with Homer being starting character.

Each stage will be a Treehouse of horror episode with a focus on different enemy type, but as each level progresses you will see older stage enemies also so last stage will have everything thrown at you :)

want there to be 6 stages with 2 levels in each stage

also having issues with Openbor not loading sound files - Homers sounds i tested dont get played... anyone see whats wrong with these files ?

and i cant work out how to use WavtoBor so i cant add more simpsons music so will be pinchig songs from various other mods for now...

The file size is pretty big beacuse i have kept a few sprites im not using yet, but i think file size may be an issue on final game beacuse i will have heaps of characters

if anyone wants to help script some enemies or add some levels or something thatd be great- happy to make this a collaboration project
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:05:04 pm by nsw25 »

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 02:27:41 am »
WAV files should be 11-22kHz 8bit mono

WAV2BOR is command line based, you can edit the batch file conmusic.bat if you don't want to do it manually.

Music files can be converted to .OGG instead of using .BOR if you wish.  Just need a audio program to convert them.

Edit: couldn't download without signing up.

Offline maxman

• I'm a slowpoke in speed.
Sounds/Music
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 05:54:04 am »
Ummm... Beastie. I use .ogg for one of my mods and it's 44kHz with 16bit stereo for music. Also, for wavs, how about using the stereo type? I really forgot about using 11-22kHz for sounds.
Dragon Duo (W.I.P./Outdated demo (2010 version)) (in progress)
Captain Commando (in progress)
Unelmia: Dreamers' Fate (collaborating with contress/taskmaster) (in progress)

Best OpenBOR mods:Spoiler
1. World Heroes Supreme Justice
2. Golden Axe Myth
3. Art of Fighting: Beats of Rage Remix III
4. A Tale of Vengeance
5. Valdivia Ransom City (demo)
6. Sega Brawlers Megamix
7. Super Fightin Spirit
8. Angel-0

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 08:57:15 am »
WAV files should be 11-22kHz 8bit mono

I just meant this for sound effects, music can be higher quality.

Also, for wavs, how about using the stereo type? I really forgot about using 11-22kHz for sounds.
There's no need to make sfx in stereo.

Offline NickyP

• You know, that guy with the pet drum?
    • Personal OpenBOR site.
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 05:25:26 pm »
i mean does everyone who make a MUGEN game have to let each creator know ? Dont the animators put there works out there to be shared by community ?

I just wanted to comment on this. Don't get me wrong, I totally and completely agree with you. But, at least in my experience, the MUGEN community is insane when it comes to sharing resources... even if they are sprites ripped from a commercial game. You know how here, every now and then a new mod pops up that uses an enemy/stage/character or two from someone elses mod? The original author is usually cool with that as long as there's some kind of shout-out to them. But if you did that in the MUGEN community, you'd probably get banned and/or harassed. I've seen instances where a guy got his computer hacked because he took sound effects from one authors character and put them in his. The dudes are nuts, man.

Of course, things may be different these days. But I thought I'd just throw it out there.

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 02:08:21 am »
 I've played the demo and I'm surprised to see unexpected character in roster :).

Anyways, 1st thing that crossed my eye is background. It is clearly too small compared to characters. You should enlarge them before putting them in game.

That UFO biker is annoying not because it moves so fast but it doesn't cast shadow making it hard to locate its position. You should give it shadow. Remember flying/floating entities can be in any altitude making it hard to predict its location.
 Oh yes, please remove biker.wav from sounds folder or replace it with UFO SFX. It's the SFX you'll hear when biker moves in.

You copied text from Evil Splatter mod to make aliens right? :)
 I got this conclusion cause aliens has same flaw as the zombies from that mod.
 Anyways, fix their attack timing so they don't attack so quick like this.

BTW I got this error message after clearing 1st stage:
"Fatal: No cache entry for 'kusare' within 'data/levels/level03.txt'"

I know what that means. Next time check enemy's availability before releasing OR if your demo is meant to be only 1 stage, disable the next levels after 1st stage.

About Krusty, his running animation is improper IMO. you should just make him unable to run but he has more or better moves to compensate.
 About Bart, his cape animation is not smooth and his jump is too high while there's no benefit from jumping high.

Outside of those, it's nice to see characters with many moves like this. It would be even better if each has their own speed and power. Currently, they are practically the same.
 Aliens are varied, that's good and also efficient! It's better than having different enemies with similar attacks

Overall, this is good start. I highly recommend you redefine some basic stuffs so you're not bound to rules from Evil Splatter mod. They are:
1. chain combo
2. grab ability
3. block
4. jump

Good luck with the mod! :)
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline nsw25

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2012, 09:18:48 am »
Thanks for feedback. I actually edited those levels alot so thought the size was good, but i can play around with it more. Im stuck with making most of my sound files work when i download them so if anyone can get sounds that work or even good simpsons music thatd b great, happy to collaborate on this. Also if someone can show me how to do some scripting for combos or juggling etc itd be appreciated. (on holiday at the moment but when im home i plan to get straight to work on this again)

Offline vision

• Strider X Remake 70% done...Strider X2 30% done
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 11:00:50 am »
I have a great idea for your story and want to keep it a surprise for every one. if your gamed PM me.  ;D
7 mods in the works
Hatchet Ninjaz Remake,
Hatchet Ninjaz 2 ;The Ninja Squad,
Strider X Remake,
Strider X2 ;The,
Strider X3 ;The Clone Warriors.
Public Enemies

Offline nsw25

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2012, 11:06:32 am »
I have a great idea for your story and want to keep it a surprise for every one. if your gamed PM me.  ;D
i want the story to be a treehouse of horror type, with different levels representing different episodes. If u want to PM me ur story idea thats cool, im really after help with making music and levels etc though than just plot at the moment.

Offline nsw25

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 09:25:05 pm »
Hey guys

thought i would show you all my progress on my simpsons game

http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=287

I am very pleased with all that i have done. its still a work in progress and theres some things that are missing and incomplete. Id appreciate any help i can get to make it better and learn along the way (especially scripting and slamming help)

there are 3 playable characters

homer- well rounded and good for begginers as he has most HP and a move where he can steal energy from opponent

bartman- high MP and low health, is fast and his special attacks are strong, can runjump to other side of screen

Krusty- a mix of both of these characters, is very fast but his attacks arent as strong

special moves are
D F A
D D A
D U A

have alot of plans for the game, want more levels/episodes and also a vs fighting mode where you get to choose some of the boss and enemy characters also

P.S if someone can look at the code burns freespecial, im having problems with him not spawning the bloodburst enemy, had it working at one stage but its not working anymore :(
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:36:14 pm by nsw25 »

0%

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal