Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

What openbor you prefer: Double dragon,battletoads or final fight !? by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm]

what are your favorite games OpenBOR?! by lirexpatrio
[December 07, 2012, 07:09:46 pm]

Post Some Awesome Videos by maxman
[December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm]

Can @cmd playmusic "aaaa" 1 also increse music sound ? by BeasTie
[December 07, 2012, 05:24:38 pm]

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm by mtrain
[December 07, 2012, 03:45:05 pm]

Site will be down for maintenance on 12/8/2012 thru 12/10/2012 by Damon Caskey
[December 07, 2012, 07:42:42 am]

Cancelled SOR 3d Remake by riccochet
[December 07, 2012, 03:58:33 am]

Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. by msmalik681
[December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am]

[TUTORIAL] How to create 4 Games of OpenBOR in 1 CD (650 MB) by magggas
[December 06, 2012, 09:46:25 pm]

custknife by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 09:34:09 pm]

blockfx help by B.Kardi
[December 06, 2012, 04:09:14 pm]

street of age 4 hd by corradlo
[December 06, 2012, 01:41:36 pm]

ClaFan - Classic Fantasy ver 1.17 by soniczxblade
[December 06, 2012, 05:01:20 am]

Bug Archive by Bloodbane
[December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 am]

"Bio-Doom" and "Gears of Doom" by BulletBob
[December 05, 2012, 10:07:21 pm]

Contra Locked 'N' Loaded v2 by Bloodbane
[December 05, 2012, 09:39:43 pm]

Downloadable OpenBoR Manual by BeasTie
[December 05, 2012, 08:31:24 pm]

Having trouble testing changes by B.Kardi
[December 05, 2012, 03:05:53 pm]

DragonBall Absalon by msmalik681
[December 05, 2012, 02:52:13 pm]

[Hi-Res] Swamp by Vibrant
[December 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am]

• Dot Guests: 161
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Doom: Ultra-Violence (Official WIP)  (Read 7051 times)

Offline BeasTie

Doom: Ultra-Violence (Official WIP)
« on: November 24, 2011, 09:30:11 am »

Thought I should start a new WIP thread for this so people know it's not dead.

Although I haven't been active around here much I still worked on the mod when I could so a lot has changed over the past few years, many cool new additions as well as minor tweaks have been done, unfortunately most aren't noticeable in screenshots, and other stuff im saving for you to see when you get to play the game.

I should add right now to this post that if you have downloaded/played the DOOM UV mod on this website please note this was a 'Leaked' version that was never intended for release, furthermore it was not even a proper build at any point.  It was a corruptted testing mod that was a very dodgy mix of two versions of the Doom mod slapped together to test new features like weapons etc. in openbor.

Originally the mod was being on old DOS BoR and then DOS OpenBor, and some changes were made to the code uniquely for the doom mod.  The project died for sometime after I had data loss when my main PC broke, years later I had to recover what I could from various builds and piece it all together, as well as remake a lot of content.

I will NOT support that version of the mod in any way shape or form, if you'd like to comment about that version just bear this in mind. I'm quite happy and interested to hear thoughts about gameplay design etc. thou from those who did manage play the leaked version.

Anyhow, one major difference from the direction I was taking previously is the fact that now the mod features proper obtainable weapons, and with recent openbor build this is no longer limited to only 10, so expect to see all the classic DOOM weapons as well as many new weapons, secret characters, cheat/GODLY weapons. Thou I have not yet created any way to save weapons across stages

Currently I'm still refreshing even my basic OpenBor knowledge, as well as trying to digest years of engine updates and new features.  But I want to move onto scripting more stuff to get things back that were once done in code, as well as enhance the mod further to incorporate more elements from the original doom games.

Major things that need to be added:

- weapon/ammo saving across stages
        (also new ammo types needed)

STATUS - it can be done and I've started trying I just need more scripting knowledge/experience, or someones help

- Replace lifebars with numbers to display health (eg. 100%) was once hardcoded, now will need to be done via script.  Also ability to increase max health to 200% with item pickup, but will only increase past 100% from some health items.

STATUS - (same as above)

- Armor system (which would also need amount to be displayed 100-200%)

STATUS - (probably same as above)

As far as a RELEASE, I've currently been tweaking all enemies and the main DoomGuy and each weapon.  Now it's just a matter of finishing some incomplete stages, and also I have to redo all the enemy, item placement for some as i never recovered all the work I did on stages after data loss, and is why the mod never got released all these years.  I spent a bit of time trying to sort em out using obeditor and it messed a lot of them up. 

So once I get that sorted I will release an
'ALPHA VERSION' very soon that will have the complete set of stages for Episode One: Knee Deep In The Dead.  Unless I sort out the weapon saving thing sooner, this version will have weapon pickups throughout the stages with design based on not being able to keep them across each stage/stage section. Also I decided to put back into the mod the players special ability until weapon/ammo storing is available.  Except now it will be a 'Broken BFG' that has energycost to use and also will damage you a little, so you only get one shot and then you gotta regain mp/energy. (Note: the real BFG will also be obtainable like any other weapon)

Then from here I will work on enhancing elements via scripting as I can and adding the next 2 or 3 episodes and the DOOM 2 story.  I've decided things will move faster this way, as I already have new enemies, weapons, stages etc. ready to go for the later part to the story.

Besides deciding whether to wait until I get some things done better with script, the main thing slowing me down is the item/weapon placement in levels so that it is properly balanced to play through the game, and to make sure you have enough health drops, powerups and decent firepower for big fights without forcing a certain weapon on the player at level start (which also gives him a weapon with unlimited ammo)
as the main doomguy character has a pistol as a default weapon, I decided later levels the default may become the shotgun. 

What I have done thou which I'm sure everyone is going to like is that there will be extra DoomGuy's that have different default weapons eg. uzi, rifle, sniper, sawnoff.
Some will be unlockable players that have very powerful weapons (BFG's,  new/special characters  and even a few characters making cameo appearances.

Okay hope that's not too much of a read, eventually I will probably edit/update this first post once there is a release pending.

(Screenshots will be added in next post shortly)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:34:02 am by BeasTie »

Offline BeasTie

Re: Doom: Ultra-Violence (Official WIP)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 09:31:02 am »
(Reserved For ScreenShots)

posting them now, please bare with me :)
(sorry for the bumps when I'm adding shots)

Berserk in action

Yes it's a rideable Pink Demon!  :laughing:
(Does anyone know why I'm still getting blue in my lifebars even thou eveythings set to be red in lifebars.txt ?)

Death is imminent...

I'll get some better ones soon, I need my bro to play it while I take shots to capture some real action.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:49:46 am by BeasTie »

Offline Bloodbane

• Dark Dragon
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 02:18:06 am »
 Good! Finally you opened a thread for your mod.

Major things that need to be added:

- weapon/ammo saving across stages
        (also new ammo types needed)

STATUS - it can be done and I've started trying I just need more scripting knowledge/experience, or someones help

- Replace lifebars with numbers to display health (eg. 100%) was once hardcoded, now will need to be done via script.  Also ability to increase max health to 200% with item pickup, but will only increase past 100% from some health items.

STATUS - (same as above)

- Armor system (which would also need amount to be displayed 100-200%)

STATUS - (probably same as above)

All above are doable. You can try Contra: Locked 'N' Loaded (both complete and demo version) to see that it's possible to carry weapons through levels. Previously I use entity variables  for this but now I have to use global variables instead.
 Oh yes, do you want to clear the weapons and ammos when player exits and go to main menu? I have to ask since global variables aren't cleared if you go to main menu meaning you can carry weapons and ammos to another game mode.

Displaying health, armor, ammo and face expression are doable with script, updatescript to be exact. For the last you need the image for each expression obviously.
 Now for armor... before that there's a command to alter defense called defense. This is what you will be altering with script to make armor feature. Hmm... the armor pickup will do the defense set up work but you might need to use takedamagescript to reduce the armor value on damage.

Those are just the main ideas. I couldn't help you in details since I'm busy currently.

Oh yes about the mod, do you really need timer?
OpenBoR Manual

Basic OpenBoR Tutorials

OpenBoR Tricks & Tutorials

"The more often enemies attack, the more open they are to counter attacks"

Offline MatMan

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 06:14:22 am »
I got no idea on how to set weapons via script (as I havn't used weapons yet) but saving it to file is simple enough todo.

I'll take a look at Bloodbanes contra mod and see how weapon changes get done.

Gotta ask though, as for the weapons. Do you want a weapon system to work exactly like doom did because that would require alot more variables to be saved/used? or do you just want the game to save the current weapon you have and it doesn't care about bullets etc of the other weapons?

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 12:20:11 pm »
BloodBane - Yeah I can see how everything is going to be possible, I haven't  done too much on work on scripting it yet, I've just been trying to get the mod updated as best I can and remove some old workarounds than can be done properly now.  Then it should be in shape to enhance it further with script.  I started trying to do the weapons script, I think i was on the right track but I'm neglecting my code formatting surely, and also I wasn't sure where to trigger the script to store the variable, I'm guessing it has to be the weapon item pickup, but items only have one animation idle. (unless they now support a death/pickup animation I'm unaware of) I will definitely take a look at your Contra mod, I have already downloaded it and had a quick play, it's looking fantastic, last time I ever saw it was probably your first demo that just had a couple of stages.  It's really well done and I see why it's popular with contra fans. I only ever really played the originals and probotector way back in the day and any clones/sequels I played never seemed to have the same affect  on me.  But your game instantly brought some memories back. :)  I haven't cracked the .pak open yet to look at your code thou as I thought it might confuse me at the time cause even thou it's a pure shooter, it's quite a different form of shooter.  I'll be sure to check it out thou asap.

Regarding health bar and icons, getting the images is no problem, I'm already using a few by utilizing the different icons, icondie etc.
I tried playing around with updatescript to just display some text but I couldn't get it to show up.  I started making some script for the health to get displayed as numbers, but I wasn't sure if openbor script would support the way I can remember to do this.

Can I do something like store the players health like

void Health = getentityproperty(self,"health");
or like
i =  getentityproperty(self,"health");

and then do drawstring(int x, int y, 1, %i)

I was going to try get more done then I could post my script then you guys can hopefully tell me what I'm doing wrong. I felt like I was starting to learn it a bit when I was here last but I've forgotten even my basics about code formatting. 

My mind is more creative than technical, my problem is thou  I'm useally trying to tackle something to big straight away.

..and yeah the mod would need weapon/ammo variables cleared after a 'game mode'/set of levels hs been completed or the player gets gameover quits etc. Considering it's Doom it wouldn't matter if they were even cleared from saved games and you start with pistol again, just need to keep in memory while your playing stage to stage.

edit: forgot to reply about timers, if you mean the game time that ticks down during a stage, I dont think i will need it really, I haven't looked into changing it, originally the icons etc. was setup around the original senile team BoR . Im guessing you thinking same thing as me that it's taking up valuable real estate for the proper HUD we'll want to add later.

MatMan: Seemed like I was understanding writing the script to load weapons more than I was storing them. I know the commands just not sure exactly where to add the code/script to store the values.  I had something like this but I think I'm noobing up my formatting, I need to brush up on these things but I been busy lately and waking up too tired for my brain too work.

it's all wrong but it's a start to me getting something done about this -

void mygun = getindexedvar(0);
void self = getlocalvar("self");

if (mygun == 5)
    {
       changeplayerproperty(1, weapon, 5)
    }
    else if (mygun == 6)
    }
       changeplayerproperty(1, weapon, 6)
    }

well pretty basic but from what i can tell its a matter of sending some numbers to be saved and making it check for them every level.  But yeah I'm still way off...

As for as how I'd like the weapon system to work, I decided it's not important to save every weapon like you did in original Doom, now that there is no limit to amount of weapons, I've already exceeded more than the default set so mapping every weapon key would be crazy.  Just being able to keep the last weapon you had before level/stage end would be fine, but it would be good if I can make it store ammo even if you lost the weapon for it.  Otherwise the scenario happens where the player has a shotgun that he's accumulated over 100 ammo it's not worth it to pick up a rocketlauncher with just a few shots when it means leaving the shotgun behind, or a worse one you loose your weapon when you pick up berserk mode and then be stuck with no weapon, or once dead back to pistol once again.  It would be good if ammo could be saved for later use, so swapping weapons is strategy as opposed to a novelty.

Dammit I can never make short posts lol, I'm outta practice.  :blushing:

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:14:24 pm by BeasTie »

Offline mgman

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 12:21:05 pm »
I love Doom! This looks like it'll be great :D <-- That's not exactly the smiley animation I intend ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 12:23:29 pm by mgman »

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 01:02:29 pm »
Thought Id show a screen of something instead than the same old episode one stages, will try get some gameplay video's up soon, like I said most screens dont show much of the progress because screens from years ago look basically the same except they had the proper 100% health on the stbar in them.

It's just a quick test map, this will be one stage that I want to do well so It will be more interesting than this.

'Your Move Creep!'

In this shot you can see my gibbed remains from the cyber demons rocket to my face, the rocket launcher i dropped is sitting there too.  Also you can see some of the new blood splats on the ground.  The Skulls need work so they can properly float/fly around the map. 

Somethings that's funny and cool is the skulls get in the way of the cyber demon blocking his attacks sometimes and getting themselves killed, which is quite amusing to see and also is exactly what happened in the original doom  :)

edit: forgot to mention cyber demon will be playable as one of many unlockable characters
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:07:15 pm by BeasTie »

Offline Crimefighters2

• Double Dragon Advance, kicks ***.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 01:06:44 pm »
Whoa looks pretty cool I'd love a move where you finish of a demon with curbstomp?

Keep up the good work.
Play Crime Busters latest version, Nightslashers X, 8man and Return of Double Dragon.

Offline BulletBob

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 03:12:17 pm »
Awesome screen!! I'm ready to play this game, please hurry :-)

Offline BeasTie

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 03:39:25 pm »
Whoa looks pretty cool I'd love a move where you finish of a demon with curbstomp?

Keep up the good work.

That sounds like a cool idea, you mean like stomp/crush  it's head or something after it's dead with your foot?

Awesome screen!! I'm ready to play this game, please hurry :-)
Im trying, just a matter of finishing off some levels and tidying things up, it's so close to a full episode it's worth releasing the demo now with episode one complete. It takes a good amount of playing to get through it at the moment, and im about to add the missing e1m9 (secret map) that originally was going to be left out, but with openbor's branching now i can set it up properly so if you take the right path in e1m6 you can get there.

Offline MatMan

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 04:40:27 pm »
Man, you like jumping into the deep end.....

Anyhow, how write to a file (I'm using code from my MixMasters Game)......

So lets say shotgun is going to be id 2 ( getindexedvar(2) )
and Shot Gun Shells is going to be id 3 ( getindexedvar(3) )
Code: [Select]
void settingssave(int t)
{
  //V0.10
  void file = createfilestream();
  //Got a Shot Gun
    filestreamappend(file, getindexedvar(2), 1);   //the 1 at the end is nb to make sure it starts on the first line.
  //Shot Gun Shells
    filestreamappend(file, getindexedvar(3), 0);   //the 0 at the end must always 0 after this.
    savefilestream(file, "save.txt");
  return file;
}

and this is how to read....
Code: [Select]
void settingsload(int t)
{
  //v 1.11
  void vMatch;
  void file = openfilestream("save.txt", 1); //Must use > OpenBor v3 3600 else no work
  //If File doesn't exists then create a new one.
  if ( file == -1 ) {
    //create code to write......
  }
  setfilestreamposition(file, 0);
  //Got Shot Gun
  vMatch = getfilestreamargument(file, 0, "int");
  setindexedvar(2,vMatch);
  //Shot Gun Shells
  filestreamnextline(file);
  vMatch = getfilestreamargument(file, 0, "int");
  setindexedvar(3,vMatch);
}

This is the barebone of what you need and becarefull not to continuously read from the saved file, you  only want to read from it once.

Offline mgman

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 05:25:04 pm »
Damn, MatMan, uh.... bouncy bouncy...

Offline Nozomi

• I'll back with beats of rage mod.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 05:47:13 pm »
When I played this mod, this mod's story seems go directly with Doom 1 story and finish this story. So, I thought this mod is completed mod....
Good luck on this project. I'm big fan of Doom game too. ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:11:57 pm by Nozomi »

Offline Fightn Words

• Confectionary Country of the Nin-Nin
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 06:24:22 pm »
BeasTie there are two things you might want to look into if you haven't already.

http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php/topic,6078.msg83650.html

And

Using the WALK# & IDLE# seem tailor made for a Doom mod.

Offline ryomaneo

• packegedgeneration
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 07:30:33 pm »
Thats a really impressive job youve done for doom i love this idea also will you be including all the others eps on this one doom 2 doom ultra violence etc cause i reckon you could add them all in one list if possible but anyways goodluck  :cheers!:

0%

mighty
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal